Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Galactic Champions [6/6]  (Read 5541 times)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Galactic Champions [6/6]
« on: November 08, 2014, 09:34:38 pm »

In the very core of the galaxy lies a monolithic structure. Its history is a mystery to even the most ancient and knowledgeable alien civilizations. Such a complex and vast structure is thought impossible to have been built, but yet it has. The monolith is so huge that three stars orbit around it, they themselves powering the structure. It is as black as the void of space, with energy throbbing through vein-like panels across its surface. Six portals surround the structure, with thousands of ships pouring back and forth from all corners of the galaxy. Aboard these ships are spectators, judges and fighters, making way to the ancient structure in the center of the galaxy. This structure is the Arena.

The Arena
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Character Sheet:

An example fight:

Additional stuff: Death will happen often, so the waiting cue will (hopefully) be short most times. There is no HP system, instead I'm going for more of a chunky salsa type system: if you get shot in the head, you're probably dead. If you get shot in the leg, you won't die, but you probably won't run for a long while.

Also, sometimes fights will be PvP, as in two (or more) real players facing off. Sometimes, it will be PvE, where players will fight enemies controlled by me. Not all fights are to the death, either. Some are to first blood, or victory to the first who grabs the flag, etc. Fights may last a few rounds or even several in-game days.

If you (and your teammates, if you have them) win a fight, you are granted two choices. A weapon or item of your choosing (from a selection the Arena AI provides) or a point to increase one of your skill ratings. Each skill may not pass 6. To increase all your skills to 6, you must survive at least 15 fights, provided you do not choose to win a weapon or an item.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 04:59:36 am by Cheesecake »
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Re: Galactic Champions
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 09:35:24 pm »

Player List [0/6]:

NAV
Ozarck
Dwarmin
Tomasque
Yoink
Beirus

Waiting List:

Xantalos

High Scores:

Spoiler: Survivor Board (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Killer Score (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 07:48:37 pm by Cheesecake »
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Galactic Champions [0/6]
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 11:02:29 pm »

Name: Jex
Race: Human
Appearance: Shaved head, tanned skin, has a scar on his cheek.
Background: A former soldier and cage fighter, he is here to prove the superiority of humanity.
Physical: 3
Mental: 2
Social: 2
Luck: 2
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:55:21 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 02:36:45 pm »

Name: *five-Delta
Age: Unknown: time's a little wonky to measure inside a star
Gender Flavor: Strange-Bottom
Race: Fermionic
Class:Fusion Technician
Appearance: All glowy and hot. Contained within a hovering enviro-suit to survive in these very low gravity, frigid, barren wastelands outside of the home star.
Background: *Five-Delta comes from inside a star. There is a complex and mysterious ecosystem within his home star which he considers plain and ordinary. Once, while examining a cold fusion cell (it was almost under one billion Kelvin, can you even imagine?) Some mysterious beings appeared, stuffed him in this tiny (three meter) enviro suit, and whisked him off into the Void. He has since gained a rudimentary grasp of he thermo-electric controls of he envirosuit, complete with graspers, data collectors, translational device, energy transmittion appendages, and so forth. Not all of the functions of his suit are known to him, as the alien nature of the technology has taken some adaption just to learn to feed himself.

(edit)
Physical: 2
Mental: 3
Social: 1
Luck: 4
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 10:11:15 pm by Ozarck »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 05:24:10 pm »

Name: Harmony
Race: Eee
Class: Diplomat-Empath C4 (Prime)
Appearance: Harmony has a body composed of translucent organic material-much like giant jellyfish, with organs visible inside. It moves through magnetic induction, and can alter energy fields to manipulate objects, and defend himself. He communicates with others through telepathy.
Background: Harmony was originally intended as a diplomat from the Eee Consortium to bring his peoples goodwill and peaceful intentions to the galaxy. This is where he ended up.

Skills:
Physical: 1
Social: 4
Luck: 1

OOC: Seems like a meat grinder game. Is there any win condition, or do we just plod on pointlessly till our undoubted painful ends? Is this just testing your game system or an actual game?

Seems like there should be a high score system, I think...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:26:09 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 09:51:44 pm »

I'm making a character now... it may take a while, so don't take my spot.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 10:05:20 pm »

Name: Jack H. Art (AKA The Red Knave)

Race: Construct (Frankenstein's monster, basically)

Class: Serial Killer

Appearance: A human male, somewhere in his early 20's. Slightly pale, but looking in no way different or strange. He wears a warm smile, and twinkling eyes.

Background: Jack was human, before he died at the age of twenty. Years later he was brought back to life as a construct, now never aging and without emotion. At first he acted normally, becoming a jester for a alien uranium baron, but soon he snapped. He murdered the baron's family, servants, and bodyguards, before disappearing into a busy spaceport city, with strings of grisly murders following him as he went. Soon he became a legend, at first a nameless one... but legends always gain their names soon. Was it because of his complete disregard of his own bleeding, or just the sheer amounts of death that he caused in a day? Was it because he was once a baron's fool, or just his long record of backstabbing those who trusted him? Whatever it was, it soon gained him the name by which everyone shivers when they hear it. The Red Knave.

Now he has ended up in the Arena. Caught at last, he was to be executed, when the Arena recruiters abducted him from his cell.

Physical: 4
Mental: 2
Social: 3
Luck: 1
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:12:16 pm by Tomasque »
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 01:30:48 am »

((PTW, this looks rad. Will edit in a sheet later.))
Edit:

Character Sheet:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 10:05:49 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 01:39:12 am »

Name: Jinryu
Race: Human
Class: Martial Artist
Appearance: Tall, athletic build with fair skin. Defined muscles and a shaved head. Blue eyes and brown hair.
Background: Jinryu was raised in a clan of warriors from a young age. He was taught to believe that there was nothing a human couldn't accomplish, and this extended to the belief that there was no fight a human couldn't win. Now he wishes to enter the arena to prove that the human body is the greatest weapon in the galaxy.

Skills:
Physical: 4
Social: 1
Luck: 2
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 02:00:43 pm by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 07:10:17 am »

OOC: Seems like a meat grinder game. Is there any win condition, or do we just plod on pointlessly till our undoubted painful ends? Is this just testing your game system or an actual game?

Seems like there should be a high score system, I think...

Yeah, more or less a meat grinder game, but I plan on having roleplay during intermissions when you guys aren't fighting, and a storyline, once I flesh out the plot.

A high score board is a really good idea too! Wish I thought of it earlier. :p So these three categories are ones I've come up with:

Survivor Board: Survived the most fights.

Killer Score: Killed the most PLAYER characters and bosses. No grunt NPCs included.

Hall of the Epic, the Legendary, and the Badass: This is one where you're voted for. Whenever you get really lucky or you make a really cunning plan and it works out and something bad ass happens, you or your fellow fighters can put your name forward. If more than half of the fighters agree that it is cool enough, then you get your name in the Hall.

Also, the obligatory graveyard. If you have any suggestions for different high scores or adding some new mechanic I'm all ears.
Dying of laughter?

masked_krusader

• Bay Watcher
  • [KRUSADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 09:54:25 pm »

This looks interesting.  PTW
People just be cray cray, yo.
I don't really expect to die from appendicitis after surviving the apocalypse.
I’m not Shakerag!
Sigtext.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 10:12:13 pm »

Well, I edited in a sheet.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 10:21:47 pm »

Oooooh! Editing in sheet.
At some point.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 07:44:44 pm »

First six:
NAV
Ozarck
Dwarmin
Tomasque
Yoink
Beirus

Prologue

The six of you feel the touchdown of the carrier, thumping on the Farport Gateway's landing dock. The carrier's doors soon open, revealing a large, circular room with four landing docks at the center, two of them unoccupied. Two dock workers come and undo your straps and clasps, then helping you up as the motion sickness slowly kicks in. The Farport is the smallest of ports, reserved for criminals and newcomers, but nonetheless it is packed with spectators, alien, human and robotic. Stalls of varying degrees of wealth sell all sorts of goods, from simple shacks selling food, to lavish tents selling Arena-class weaponry.

A hooded being standing eight feet tall awaits you as the dock workers line you up side-by-side. The being's robe is a plain, simple red robe. Underneath the hood you can spy the glowing of electronics, and with his movement you can hear the whizzing of motors. In one hand he holds a datapad, in the other he holds an orb-shaped device. He hovers closer to your group.

"I AM 20, A CONDUIT FOR THE ARENA AI. ALL HIS COMMANDS ARE RELAYED TO ME AND THE 21 OTHER CONDUITS," he says, his voice an androgynous electrical growl. "WELCOME FIGHTERS," he says, opening his arms up in greetings, "TO THE ARENA!"

The being nods, and the dock workers begin stripping you of your belongings, down to all your necessities. The conduit hovers closer and brandishes a long, glowing stamp. He brands you all somewhere on your body large enough, unless you can't be branded at all, so he implants a chip inside you instead. "HERE YOU ARE NOTHING. WHAT YOU WERE, KIND OR CRUEL, BELOVED OR HATED, MEANS NOTHING. NOW IT IS FOR YOU TO DECIDE WHO YOU BECOME. STEEL YOURSELVES."

The conduit turns and waves you away, and the dock workers lead you to a robotic on a wall, with a map beside it. The robot has no legs or arms, only a neck and head. "Good day. I am Conduit 1. I am different from other Conduits because you may find me all across the Arena. I serve as a guide for spectators and fighters alike. Unlike the barbaric Colosseums and fighting pits of lower cultures, you are not slaves. You are free to roam around. Also, if you are not sentenced here by a judge or a similar law-enforcer, you are allowed toelave the Arena anytime you wish.

"A few rules before we begin the tour. Never start fights anywhere but the fighting pits. Any fighting will be quickly and severely put down by the Arena Guardians. Next rule. You may choose to leave the Arena for a short while, to do important business. At most you will have a year to return. If you surpass that time period, you are barred from fighting here again. You will still be allowed to spectate, provided you can give a suitable tribute as all spectators do. Third rule. The equipment given to you on fights are on loan. You may not keep them, unless you choose that weapon as a prize should you win. You will have no penalty from breaking loaned equipment, as we have an enormous stock of them. Your own equipment, however, must be fixed yourself or at one of the shops.

"Speaking of shops, there are stalls in the ports, the lounges, the living halls, and outside the fighting pits. They sell all manners of things; I doubt you can't find an item your looking for if you try hard enough. As the Arena is separate from every other ruling body in the galaxy, the merchants have cleverly devised the Arena credit, our own currency. There is an exchange system for every other currency in the galaxy in the Greatport, if for some reason you obtain alien currency. The Arena AI will not award you Arena credit as a prize; instead before every fight, spectators bet Arena credit on their favorite champions, and you get a portion of that no matter if you win or lose. If you want more spectators to bet on you, I suggest you try to win the hearts of the crowds. Speak to Conduit 3, the Trainer, for more on that.

"The Arena has other amenities for you to use: three different canteens, two for spectators and one for fighters. A training hall with assortments of equipment and training simulations. This is where you will find Conduit 3. The lounges allow you to peacefully relax and make acquaintances with other fighters. The lounge contains saunas, spas and pools for your use, courtesy of the Galactic Merchant Guild. The Armory is off limits most times, unless you achieve a high-score on the scoreboards, in which case you may specify a weapon you wish to receive, and a Conduit will try to find a suitable match.

"Finally, the fights. There are three types: simple arena fights, where you fight a number of opponents, to first blood, to who first yields, or to the death. Then there are battlefield types, where armies of fighters face off to achieve different goals: capturing a point, besieging a fort, or eliminating the enemy. They range from hundreds of fighters to thousands. Finally we have the Maze, an ever-changing arena where only the boldest, bravest and strongest dare enter. I do not suggest new fighters joining it. You are ill-equipped. Ill trained. The goal of the Maze is to escape it. There are myriad monsters, traps and puzzles you must face. No one has emerged from the Maze alive.

"That is all for now. If you have more questions, feel free to stay and ask. You may wish to visit the Trainer Conduit, or one of the stalls. You can relax in the lounge after that sickly travel from the Gateway and meet your new brothers and sisters. If you're feeling restless, meet Conduit 2, outside the fighting pits. He will give you your first fight."

((That...was longer than I intended. So only the first six I mentioned will get in fights. If you put in a character sheet after this post feel free to already hop in and go to the lounge. Assume you were greeted in the exact same fashion. Not all of you will choose to fight, but you'll have to fight sometime if you want to reach the high scores.))
Dying of laughter?

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 08:29:57 pm »

Money!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4