Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 49

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Theorycrafting!  (Read 68567 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Space Opera - Not yet started
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2014, 12:57:13 am »

Oh, that kind of character...

Well, I've decided that since this is a mission based RtD, it makes sense to have intermission periods. Since the colony fleet has stopped by on an ice world, now would be a great time for the players to test their mettle, eh? For intermission periods, anyone who submitted a character can participate.

Before the mission starts, six infiltrators will be chosen, either selected by the players or by the Guild's officials (me).

Anyone who wants to join at the last moment can do so.

Port Newton Landing Pad, Northern Ridge, Askarian | 233d/3008AD
Askarian Ice Cliffs
Heavy Snow (Low visibility. Actions toward distant objects incur a penalty based on distance)
Freezing Wind (-1 to all actions when exposed)

The transport plane skids to a halt. Riding on a bed of plasma and insulated from the surrounding air friction, the plane blazes through the sky in minutes, travelling a quarter of the globe in little more than five minutes.
The vehicle comes to rest at a runway surrounded by meters of snowdrift. The surface is kept from snowing over by vented steam from the nearby installation, which is built mostly into the face of the ice sheet where it meets the great ocean.

A group of a little more than ten leaves the side bay doors wearing enviroment suits. The shuttle's pilot emerges late, wearing a thick brown jacket over his thinner, less protective model to protect against the cold. As the signallers turn off their beacons and head into the sunken entrance of the installation, the pilot converses with the local manager about customs checks, tolls, and launch fees. The rest of the group soon enters the installation, descending a great staircase down to the heart of the living area, warmed by a small fission reactor.

You are here for a number of reasons. Firstly, the colony fleet needs to repair-and-rearm after a minor orbital skirmish which resulted in the recapture of a stolen civilian vessel from pirates. This ship might actually come in handy, provided that its former captain is willing to cooperate. This starship was originally headed to the SpaceInc megacity, so sending it forward on its merry way will arouse no suspicions.

Second, the Guild needs time to select infiltrators for the job and find if local contacts would be willing to help the Guild. You belong to the thirty or so people sent down via shuttle. Your job is to represent the guild and  find anyone willing to help you in your operation. The captain of the vessel you just rescued may be willing to offer his services.

Port Newton Bar, Northern Ridge, Askarian | 233d/3008AD
Port Newton Bar
Medium Chatter (+1 to deception, -1 to intellect)

The bar is moderately occupied, with the occasional open seat or table and few people standing up. One table of 6 people seems to be having an argument over economic protectionism, which occasionally distracts the others in the bar from whatever they are doing, be it reading a book, eavesdropping on other people as part of some sinister plan, or contemplating the nature of existence.

The rest is fairly quiet. The sole bartender is casually wiping a glass as a sullen-looking man walks back toward the airlock to get his suit. A female traveller, most likely from the core worlds of the Arcturan Republic (quite a ways away), is at a table in the corner having a drink with a man wearing a thick, fluffy jacket despite the confortable temperature of the room. A group of merchants is consuming some cheap snacks that they probably brought from their shuttle while already discussing their next destination.

Port Newton is a trading post on the rim of the Askarian Ocean, close to the northern pole of the planet (hence the name of the region: North Ridge). There's not much here, although the same could be said for the majority of the bases on the rim. There is only one major population center on this world, but it is difficult to reach and even more dangerous to leave, being located directly in the eye of the Great Cyclone. This floating city, home to tens of thousands of isolated souls, is known as Tenochtitlan. Many of this world's natives were former citizens, having eagerly migrated to explore the world outside its glass domes and steel walls.

The port has all the basic services. A local bar and diner for hungry newcomers, a clinic and a renowned physician known for familiarity with almost a hundred different biological systems, a broker's office where goods are exchanged between parties seeking deals, and a cheap apartment complex and motel where most of the coastal fishers live. A long way down (typically scaled by elevator, although some like to rappel down the ice cliff for recreational purposes), there are the dockyards, the site of an exotic fishmarket and various tourist traps, including low-gravity speedboating and submersible tours. Here there is fierce competition between ports on the Ridge, who attract sales by cutting tariffs as much as is feasable. A local sherrif owns several motorboats for law-enforcement purposes, and the Ridge Guard is minutes away.

The local warehouse where cargo is stored doubles as a capricious marketplace, as the port doesn't really have any dedicated trade buildings. People who are looking for food supplies probably want to go down to the fish market, where fishermen sell their catch and merchants from space often sell novelties and exotic dishes to the locals, who don't care for the rest of the goods the merchants bring to the upper port. Down here the warehouse is much more spacious, with a full-fledged food processing plant and outside of it numerous stores that come and go. These stores are generally located inside puffed-up igloos built from emergency habitat kits.

The Guild party walks enters the bar. They are still in their atmo-suits, not intending to stay for too long unless absolutely necessary. The bartender looks up, partly gratified because mercenaries usually leave good tips, but also worried that he won't have enough tricks up his sleeve to impress the lot.

The atmo-suits are all mostly identical, save for the two robotic members of the party who have no need of such things. Most of the Guild members, despite being loyal to the Guild's cause and ideals, in reality have no idea who each other are. Despite the sense of brotherhood among mercenaries, there are so many hundreds of them that the various cliques and factions that form leave little room for memorizing anything more than the names and roles of the other members.

"Why good evening there, fellas! It's always evening here on the Ridge. If you want a drink, pick a color."

He lays out several colored cards on the table with his right hand, jugging a pair of ice cubes with his left.

This may be a little more of a textwall than I remembered writing...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:45:34 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - A bunch of astronauts walk into a bar
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2014, 03:42:18 am »

((Italics will be projected thoughts in a local area, unless you plan on having KX9 insystem, only Nerin and Valrak will hear them. Bit hard to decode mental ripples unique to genetics. Alsos as a note, KX9 do not fight each other, cascade events tend to be bad, both sides would suffer if one happened. Not to mention literally having the other side's thought process presented if need be results in absolutely no misunderstandings.))

Nerin folds back his helmet, freeing his ears from the uncomfortable and stuffy confines of atmos suit.
Bit loud.. A random snippet of unfiltered noise and annoyance underlays the thought.

Amusement. Put your helmet back on then.

Disagreement/Disregarding. No, noise filters are nice, but they lower awareness.

Mkay, your choice~ Mentally shaking head, amused mental smile.

Neither Nerin nor Valrak touch the cards. Both sharing an indignant tinted mental facepalm at the fiasco that happened last time they tried drinking.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2014, 06:08:20 am »

Hal walks up to the bar and takes off the helmet on the suit. He looks around, a bit interested in how the place is decorated and filled with furniture.

"Why do these people keep wasting space on ground? They just could have placed some antigrav benches and there you go! Double the capacity and nice view of the whole place. I wonder, what do they drink? Fermented milk? Water with some aroma pretending to be alcohol? Hah, whatever it is, I can take double."

"Gimme that black stuff. Lemme guess, ya gonna gimme water? There's prolly more piss in dem spirits than alcohol."
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 09:13:08 am »

Deuce poked his way in the door, turning sideways a bit to ensure his large frame made it in.  Bars were practically home to him now; he loved a drink and he loved to rumble.  This was a bit business to just start a fight, but there were drinks to be had here!

"Red for me!  Fire and blood, must be a strong color, aye?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 09:32:21 am »

McMarlo strutted in like a Prince, drawing and tapping his faux-synthetic-diamond topped staff on the floor to draw the stares and envy of onlookers.

The Ravenian-noticable because he was much shorter than his comrades-popped off his helmet to reveal an Avian face, black feathers, with a stubby grey beak.

He was sporting sunglasses.

In space.

"My friend, my friend." He said to the bartenders, his voice a soothing baritone. McMarlo paused, then picked up a yellow card, as yellow as gold, or maybe just piss.

"...I will have your best Multi-Dimensional-Gargle-Destroyer, shaken, not stirred, on Cometary ice, with a spritz of JubJub Juice, a shaving of Harkian Glamp, and a Mynock Umbrella.

And, make it extra-dimensional."

*gasp*

Action: Enter like the boss, wow the onlookers.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 09:34:39 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2014, 12:07:57 pm »

((You do know sunglasses in space are needed if you lack optical augmentations so you don't become near sighted due to unfiltered solar radiation right? Not only is it not surprising, but it's actually counter to what you would expect from a supposed rich person, as so far, the other mercs appear to have at least filter augs, Nerin and Valrak having military grade optical sensor augs on top of the standard filter ones.))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2014, 12:19:19 pm »

((None of which are as stylish as mine.))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2014, 02:02:17 pm »

Over in the far corner of the establishment, a tan youmg man in dark jeans and a black leather jacket leans back and mutters to himself,
"Guild rats, so spoiled..."

He stands up and starts a rant.
"Antigrav benches? You got any other novelties in that orbital toothpaste tube of yours?"

The toothpaste tube analogy is a pretty poor one, in retrospect. The habitat ships resemble more of a Tulip from Terra, with petals that open up under acceleration

((Will have to get home before any updates))

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2014, 02:04:17 pm »

((I'm pretty sure he did italics as thoughts. Not projected, but still thoughts since he had a colored wording with speech after that.))

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2014, 03:30:49 pm »

WARDEN scuttled his way into the bar. He would never understand why humans insisted on going to such establishments whenever ships landed. Do humans usually get job offers here? Or do they just want to get drunk?

Regardless, alcohol was energy-rich, so he might as well take advantage the opportunity to recharge his energy supply.

"I'll take the red card. Give me the drink that gets humans drunk the quickest."
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 08:29:58 pm by HighEndNoob »
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2014, 03:36:38 pm »

Nerin looks towards the robot asking for alcohol. "You're capable of burning alcohol as fuel? What do you do with the waste product?"

((Edited due to wrong character name. Derp.))
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 04:24:58 pm by Kevak »

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2014, 04:25:23 pm »

Over in the far corner of the establishment, a tan youmg man in dark jeans and a black leather jacket leans back and mutters to himself,

"Antigrav benches? You got any other novelties in that orbital toothpaste tube of yours?"

The toothpaste tube analogy is a pretty poor one, in retrospect. The habitat ships resemble more of a Tulip from Terra, with petals that open up under acceleration

You read my goddarn thoughts, you know my response before I do. /annoyed.rant

Wait for my glass to arrive before responding. Assess the threat from the patron, like weaponry or his  stance. Drink whatever the bartender hands me.

"And who are you, boy scout?"
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 04:29:02 pm by SaberToothTiger »
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2014, 05:54:20 pm »

Ziggo scurried across the bar floor, trailing behind his guild mates. They were ordering drinks at the bar, seems like. Ziggo would have joined them, till he heard one of the bar flies yell something about toothpaste and guild rats.

"Rats? Is that an insult?" he squeaked in fury. Which pretty much sounds the same as squeaking in joy. Or in grief. Squeaking all sounds the same. But he was indeed furious.

I must get him good, Ziggo thought to himself, but how? I'll steal something! But how? The bar was too crowded; he needed a distraction. But what? He spied one of his guild mates drawing attention by flaunting all his space swag. Now was his chance.

Hafmen aren't smart, or strong, or particularly brave, but they were cunning. Scurrying over to the raven man, he stood on his hind legs and whispered to him, "Hey friend! I need you to keep doing whatever you're doing for a while longer. I have a plan."

If the raven man consents to making a distraction, steal something from the prejudicial man, hopefully something valuable.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2014, 06:24:34 pm »

You read my goddarn thoughts, you know my response before I do. /annoyed.rant

Wait for my glass to arrive before responding. Assess the threat from the patron, like weaponry or his  stance. Drink whatever the bartender hands me.

"And who are you, boy scout?"

The young man elicits a few strange looks from nearby tables. His reddened face shows embarrassment although his expression is no different, raising one brow in cynical disapproval.

He says nothing, shrinking down into his chair. You notice his hand reach to the back of his head and twist something with a soft click. A switch?

((Still not home))

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2014, 06:29:57 pm »

If I get a glass, drink it dry and smash it on the face of the git in front of me. If he stays on his legs, follow up with a gut punch and a knee to his groin, if he falls down, stomp on his kneecaps and hands.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 49