Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 49

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Theorycrafting!  (Read 68570 times)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Mission 1 starting - Open Roll 1
« Reply #315 on: November 21, 2014, 07:06:34 pm »

It is likely a form of background radiation. It would have kind of a gap in its skull that kinda traps the radiation and defends the brain from it as a defense mechanism since (unlike on most planets which are pretty lacking [but not completely] of the energy underground) their home planet has many mannioactive gems and other minerals causing a semi-dangerously high level of manniactivity. Then to disperse the stores they developed the mental pathways required to convert it into other forms of energy. However these functions are mostly subconscious usually just resulting in glowing heads until some crazy-ass hobo started throwing fire and they realized that basically if you had enough reserves and believe it works you can consciously control it. Unfortunately most Magus' were not open minded enough to be able to utilize this in any meaningful way so one government conspiracy later we've got a bogus magic system that due to its general use and doctored research papers is widely and firmly believed to be effective with new schools being occasionally "researched" by strong minds. I probably messed something up but that's my initial system submission. The main limiting factor is of course I will need to learn or research internally consistent spells until the player has an epiphany and also that on planets with certain types of stars and minerals will have more or less mana as well as it being lessened by insulation.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:32:35 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 21, 2014, 07:26:07 pm »

((I suppose the main issues are conservation of momentum and that stuff. If the radiation consists of metastable particles with multiple decay paths that produce varying effects (such as heat, cold, electrical voltage, light, etc) and your character can 'time' them so that they decay in the intended position, that could be a way to do it.))
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 21, 2014, 07:33:16 pm »

((Or absorb gamma radiation, which is both a radioactive product and an EM wave. Life exposed to greater doses of it over a long period of time might conceivably evolve a defense, rather than getting wiped out. Though a massive dose would still probably be highly lethal.))
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 21, 2014, 07:35:28 pm »

((Well it's that as well as patterns allowing different effects based on combinations and spacial positions.))
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:38:32 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 21, 2014, 07:36:39 pm »

((Hence my idea of subatomic particles with conveniently magic-y decay pathways.))

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 21, 2014, 07:38:52 pm »

((Agreed. But the main point is that it's basically all in your head anyway. They don't need to know how it works and knowing would likely cause a caterpillar's dilemma. What I've given you isn't likely to be known by more than a few people (if any) anyway due to aforementioned government conspiracy.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 21, 2014, 08:43:41 pm »

((There has to be some logic behind it or else you'd be able to powergame whatever answers you want. Not fair to the others.))

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 21, 2014, 08:53:18 pm »

((As I said it's limited by my stores and any ambient energy I absorb as well as unless I both find out how it really works and have the mental constitution to accept it I need spell components for big stuff and knowledge of spells for anything (or the time and resources necessary to research a new and internally consistent spell [that will take a while to reach full power as it proves it works.])))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 21, 2014, 10:01:14 pm »

((As long as it has limitations on energy and is at least nominally grounded in thermodynamics I guess you're good.

What if the radiation particles are actually WIMPS (weakly interacting massive particles, AKA dark matter)? It could be that your race comes from a planet close to the galactic core, where dark matter is more concentrated. In fact, they could live on a rogue planet that collects dark matter and annihilates most of it inside its core for heat. The planet could a particularly dense substance in its core which tends to, for some reason, aggregate dark matter. Your race could perhaps keep some of this substance in their head, and have the ability to manipulate the substance in order to annihilate WIMP's in ways that achieve the desired effect.))

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base
« Reply #324 on: November 22, 2014, 12:09:06 am »

((You're the boss bossman))

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 22, 2014, 02:46:56 am »

((So which thread should I post on?))
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 22, 2014, 02:54:47 am »

((This one, since you're not on a mission.))
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 22, 2014, 03:03:08 am »

Send a message through to the Guild:
"To any listening Guild Members, this is Agent Hal Grizzly. I am staying on the planet Askarian to chase down a person I know as Orion. There might be the possibility of me going quiet, and the possibility of me biting the dust. If I do not send any messages within a week, assume me dead or restrained by forces unknown. Hal Grizzly, out.
Turn off whatever microphone I have on me, and search for a vehicle around here and a taser.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 22, 2014, 09:48:30 am »

Vax searches for a way to get to the Askarian surface, specifically Port Newton, there's probably going to be more action there than here.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Open Roll 2
« Reply #329 on: November 22, 2014, 03:35:03 pm »

Port Newton, Northern Ridge, Askarian | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Askarian Shores
Snow (Low visibility. Actions toward distant objects incur a small penalty based on distance)
Freezing Wind (-1 to all actions when exposed)

Send a message through to the Guild:
"To any listening Guild Members, this is Agent Hal Grizzly. I am staying on the planet Askarian to chase down a person I know as Orion. There might be the possibility of me going quiet, and the possibility of me biting the dust. If I do not send any messages within a week, assume me dead or restrained by forces unknown. Hal Grizzly, out.
Turn off whatever microphone I have on me, and search for a vehicle around here and a taser.

The pilot, Jaina, responds.
'Copy. We will spread the fleet out into orbit so we can contact you if needed.'

You speed back toward ground level in the elevator.

[2] Alas, finding a ground vehicle is nearly impossible here. The world's half gravity makes it primarily suited toward rover-style designs. However, rovers generally require sophisticated shock absorption systems and other complicated machinery outside of the pressurized area. The Askarian atmosphere consists mostly of water vapor and oxygen. You can guess what this does to exposed steel.

[2] Speedboats are more plentiful, however there are no unattended vehicles you can steal, and it's unclear whether Orion would be able to get one either--although he'd coerce a driver to relinquish his vessel. You have a Guild Gold Card, which should handle any financial transactions should you rent a jetski or small vessel. Anything greater, however, and you will need to convince a captain to either sell you the boat or divert his journey to drop you off wherever you're headed.

[4] The taser is much easier to find. Scouring the catwalk for clues, you notice something sticking up out of the snow to the right of the catwalk. Digging it out, you find a local security guard buried beneath, with pair of single-shot tasers, a knife, and a rusted badge. You look for any pistols, but they've probably been taken. The guard's suit has a massive hole in the chest, and the battery is long dead.

Habitat Ship Gamma, Askarian Orbit | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Urban Station
City Manners (-1 Diplomacy during first impressions)

Vax searches for a way to get to the Askarian surface, specifically Port Newton, there's probably going to be more action there than here.

((Please bold your actions for convenience.))

Port Newton sounds like an exciting place! Since you're already at the dock, you look to see if there are any missions related to the site that you could hitch a ride on. Not yet a member of the guild, you'd have to prove yourself capable somehow.

[2] There's a shuttle inbound from Port Newton, but none outgoing. You ask a decorated official, probably a starship captain, what the deal is with Port Newton. he seems to be stomping around, but on closer inspection it's just his magnetic boots.

"You're asking me? I can't stand low gravity worlds. It's either Terran or bust. Never been there."

Another person, apparently a trader, responds to your query from afar.
"Nothing there but ice and fish. Not sure what all the fuss is about, maybe somebody got in a barfight with the wrong folk."
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 49