Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 49

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Theorycrafting!  (Read 68183 times)

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Roll 20
« Reply #525 on: January 24, 2015, 01:21:20 pm »

((Well, you know more of this universe's mechanics, so do what you please, I'm not very good at techno-babble.))

Edit: ((Being forced into the ground by artillery fire would necessitate being hit on top by it, that's less than a square meter area, and it's mobile.))
((Being thrown away means energy is used to move you, rather than dedicated to dislocate or break the material bonds in your armor's structure.))

Edit 2: ((Seeing as you seem to be online, I'll just put edit notes on most edits... anyway.))
((It's not meant to deflect direct hits, as it's unlikely that's ever going to happen, which is part of the reason it would struggle, though it still can absorb a lot of energy.))
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 02:12:26 pm by Happy Demon »
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 24, 2015, 02:47:51 pm »

Continue gamblin'.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 25, 2015, 03:47:06 am »

((I feel that the fluff is going a bit out of control... but I'm not gonna stop.))
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Edit: ((Take thin fired tofu Fluff.))
Edit 2: ((Fluffity fluff.))
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:40:00 am by Happy Demon »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 25, 2015, 04:09:41 pm »

((The fluff will consume you!))

Port Anchorage, Northern Ridge, Askarian | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Askarian Shores
Snow (Low visibility. Actions toward distant objects incur a small penalty based on distance)
Freezing Wind (-1 to all actions when exposed)

Continue gamblin'.

[2] You shoot the first two balls without thinking much about it. All three of them get caught inside the same basket, filling it up. A drunk fisherman shoves you out of the way and launches his own ball, which bounces off of the now-filled basket and heads deeper into the gravity well, but it too ends up landing in a basket.

You have three balls left.

Habitat Ship Gamma, Askarian Orbit | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Urban Station
City Manners (-1 to first impressions)

Skedaddle back to base!

As you walk back to the workshop to consolidate your shiny new cylinder thingy, you hear a rustling noise behind you as you pass by a medium-sized tree with a dense canopy of leaves. You look up at it, pointing your rifle in the general direction of the tree, but upon closer observation there doesn't seem to be anyone--or anything--hiding inside the tree's crown.

You continue forward for a few seconds before you hear the noise again, this time much louder. You look back and the tree has been pulled down slightly, as if something invisible were weighing it down. Odd, so you turn around and start speedwalking back to base.

As you flee, the noise comes back, but this time you hear loud footsteps that shake the ground beneath you. You start jogging while glancing back. The tree... the tree you passed by... is now walking toward you! It is not as fast as you are so you will get away, but this is indeed a most strange occurrence.

The workshop is located in a section of the city with a lot of Guild buildings as well as Guild-funded developments, including gardens, private parks, libraries, and internet cafes. Surely someone will notice the walking tree and... deal with it. You approach the workshop building and set the cylinder aside next to a large hedge as you reach into your pockets for your Guild keycard. What shall you do inside?

The Jolly Roger, Franz| 238d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Zero Gravity
All items have no weight penalty.

new!
Coolant Cloud
-2 to offensive damage rolls

Damn, I wanted a shishkebab, ah well.

Discard the hammer, try flanking the red guy, and shoot him with the assault rifle.

Throwing the hammer aside, unburdening yourself, you dash across the room to take some potshots at the red guy.

Initiative
[5] Red Guy
[3] Vax

(5) vs [1+2] The first thing you notice is that the viewscreens on the opposite side of the plasma conduit are still functional. But the thing is that the surface of the plasma conduit's outer casing is lined with microscopic cameras, so you can essentially see through the conduit as if it were glass. From the other side, that is. Because of that, the Red Guy saw you coming and had his shotgun trained on you as soon as you crossed the edge.

The shotgun blast hits your suit in the torso, the metal plating taking the brunt of the impact. However, your body was angled so that you could rebound off the wall with your legs. Some of the pellets puncture the suit's backpack and puncture some coolant tubes, causing white foamy coolant to spray everywhere. Due to the lack of pressure, it coagulates into droplets of gel which freeze from evaporative cooling. In essence, you now have a cloud between yourself and the red Guy.

This will give -2 to all future offensive rolls in this room.

[6-2] vs (3+2) You can't get a good aim because of the flash-frozen cloud of coolant. However, you know where the Red Guy is, so you hose down the area with bullets and hope for the best. The Red Guy's armor takes the hits, but he fares better, with a few ricochets and pockmarks here and there. Armor has gotten too good these days.

You hear something behind you. That's strange, because the section was depressurized. Actually, you hear it because a door was opened behind you, allowing a gust of air to flow past you and push you away slightly.

A group of pirates barges through, although you're not sure what their equipment is or what they are armed with due to the coolant sprayed everywhere. Switching to thermal doesn't help much, since the coolant is opaque to infra-red as well.

Over the comms, you hear the robot, Steve, announce that he finally remembers what he is doing:
"Team, I have recovered my backups. I am proceeding into the--oh wow clouds, what happened in here?"
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Roll 21
« Reply #529 on: January 25, 2015, 04:10:43 pm »

Gamble all the way.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 25, 2015, 04:19:19 pm »

Gamble all the way.

[4] You fire another ball, this time with a planned trajectory that bounces off two loaded baskets and enters a third one, but closer to the center than anything the others have achieved thus far.

You've got the trajectories right for the outer sections, but the approximation breaks down once the board is heavily curved. You're only doing some very rough calculations in your head. If you had a computer, you could do the real thing and get a much more accurate trajectory. The shape of the well is almost exactly that of a supermassive black hole, so the sims on your work tablet could do it with a few tweaks.

"Yer just lucky you went last."
"You're playing a luck-based game, lad. Why are you complaining?"
"Cuz it ain't luck based. This game isn't for spacehuggers."

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 25, 2015, 04:23:13 pm »

((Too bad Nerin isn't doing that gamblegame, he's rated as Controller for KX9 fleets, as a Tactilogiform he could calculate the trajectory instinctively.))

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 25, 2015, 05:02:44 pm »

"So...if you ever need any help or find anything involving my race just give a call, please. I might be able to get you in contact with some more knowledgeable Zumbar."

Float out of the office and go to the Guild base.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 25, 2015, 09:17:23 pm »

Find an... Engineer or someone can explain what this tube thing is.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 26, 2015, 12:14:28 am »

((The weirdest thing about walking trees, is that they exist.))

Well s***, I'd be pummeled with bullets at this rate, maybe destroying the plasma conduit will take out the spinal railgun.

"F*** it, I'm gonna blow up the room!"

Fire at the plasma conduit with the heavy rifle.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:28:10 am by Happy Demon »

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: January 26, 2015, 08:18:33 am »

((Fluff on fluff.))
Edit: ((Fluff.))
Edit 2: ((Fluffity fluffity fluff fluff.))
Edit 3: ((Fluff!))
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 12:09:05 am by Happy Demon »

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 28, 2015, 01:07:06 pm »

((Let's do Vax fluff.))
((Also, a bit long, and probably filled with errors and inconsistencies.))

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: January 28, 2015, 04:42:19 pm »

Use all my strength and MASH that fucking ball down the hole.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 21
« Reply #538 on: January 29, 2015, 02:22:31 am »

Port Anchorage, Northern Ridge, Askarian | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Askarian Shores
Snow (Low visibility. Actions toward distant objects incur a small penalty based on distance)
Freezing Wind (-1 to all actions when exposed)

Use all my strength and MASH that fucking ball down the hole.

[5] Your ball phases through the first gate it hits and leaps over the rest, landing squarely into the hole in the center. The entire board appears to distort into a mess, with the outer edges becoming increasingly blue while the inner gates turn red and then fade away. Then, after some time, coins begin materializing under the glass.

It's probably just an artificial display, but the effect looks cool. You just won four kilos, which is enough for a sweet new hoverscooter. Either way, it's well above your pay for this excursion, although the Orion bounty might be worth more.

The rowdy fisher from before leaps out of his chair and approaches you, cracking his knuckles like some sort of 21'st century holotape show.

"Now wait just a minute there, this scumeater* won't be going nowhere with the cash. That was a fluke. Blasted machine." says the rowdy fisherman, brandishing a curvy knife.
"It's a luck based game! He got luck!" exclaims a merchant, who reaches for a pistol holstered under his leather jacket.
"I bet he makes a living off exploits." shouts a female bounty hunter, who approaches you with her fists--which both make humming noises as she raises them.
"Yeah! You types aren't welcome here!" says another drunk gambler, who heads to the wall and grabs a stuffed fish to use as a bludgeon. In fact, that particular species of fish has a long snout ridged with sharp barbs, which would be nasty if they got in your face.

The three hostile speakers--a fisherman, a bounty huntress, and woman in a captain's uniform--begin to move toward you, although you haven't taken the gold from the pile yet. They are most obviously drunk, but thanks to the latest generation of gene mods a lot of humans have an abnormally high tolerance to the negative physical effects of alcohol like dizziness and vomiting, although their cognitive faculties remain distinctly impaired.

You'd call for help, but it seems that the Guild engineer and officer have disappeared with the owner of the facility, while the fishermen from the boat you invaded are cheering on the attackers! Most of the bar is cheering them on, in fact! Your only remote ally is the guy with the gun.

*Refers to the fact that a lot of self-sufficient spacecraft use algae as their staple crop, including it in most foods served (and flavored).

Habitat Ship Gamma, Askarian Orbit | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Urban Station
City Manners (-1 to first impressions)

"So...if you ever need any help or find anything involving my race just give a call, please. I might be able to get you in contact with some more knowledgeable Zumbar."

Float out of the office and go to the Guild base.

[4] You float out of the office, but decide to take an experimental route down to ground level. You climb up the stairs to roof access, then check to make sure the outer walls are lined with metals. They are, which means you can stick to them fairly well. You begin the process of gliding down the giant pyramidal structure, levitating just a human foot off the surface, until you reach the bottom at a safe speed. Fun!

You head toward the city district with the least autonomy from the guild--Orichalum District, named for the Orichalum pool, one of the most popular recreational facilities on the cityship before they refitted it to have more normal gravity. The ship used to have the gravity of Luna, Terra's moon, which lends itself very well to having a large indoor pool. In fact, humans used to be able to run across the surface of the water when the gravity was low. Now, however, the Orichalum pool is a lounge for the rich founders of the city, who have more than earned their savings in planning and taking part in the constructing of the three cityships.

The sector feels rather deserted, at least on the streets. Most of the buildings don't have windows, and while the occasional car drives by, the only pedestrians walking about are important-looking people like doctors and officers, usually busy talking to subordinates on their tablets or looking through data.

You approach Lawrence Hall, a building where research and development is conducted, so that you could perhaps figure out something related to what the scientist looked through. However, you can't enter because there is a large evergreen blocking the way. The tree's roots are split into two large clusters, which are moving around like legs. The tree is walking across the street. It's approaching the door of Lawrence Hall.

Before you can bring something into the building, you'll have to show it to the authorities. Fortunately, it's their job to figure out what things are so they don't blow anything up.

It turns out that the cylinder is a container, designed to be able to stand up on three legs (which fold) or back together with other containers, designed specifically to tessellate neatly in a hexagonal pattern. It appears to be locked, and nobody's found a way to hack the alien architecture yet.

The local workers bring in a couple of experts to do their thing. Alan de Château, a leading computer scientist not directly affiliated with the Guild, but entrusted with security clearance, begins to work on the device from one of the other cityships, operating via a robot with a holographic screen depicting his face and two manipulators resembling human hands. He rolls over to greet you, then starts to find ways to interface with the item.

Meanwhile, you feel the ground shake beneath you. This station doesn't have quakes... and others in the room notice it as well, chattering and murmuring among themselves. One person, a tenured researcher, suggests that someone is testing a weapon downstairs.

The Jolly Roger, Franz| 238d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Zero Gravity
All items have no weight penalty.

new
Plasma Cloud
Deals damage every turn

((The weirdest thing about walking trees, is that they exist.))

Well s***, I'd be pummeled with bullets at this rate, maybe destroying the plasma conduit will take out the spinal railgun.

"F*** it, I'm gonna blow up the room!"

Fire at the plasma conduit with the heavy rifle.

[3] The conduit should, by all means be armored. Despite that, you manage to create a noticeable deformation, which may have caused the plasma stream to deflect slightly toward you. You don't see it, but the place you fired at on the conduit starts heating up, which causes a runaway melting effect that creates a breach in seconds.

[5] You foresaw this, of course, with your intellect and tact. The incoming pirates from behind you are not as well-educated on the dangers of plasma, however, and a plume of deadly ionized gas quickly engulfs them and wrecks their suits, taking them out for the most part. Red Guy is still a threat, but Alice has moved into position to fire at him. He shoots first, dealing nothing but scratch damage, while Alice guns him down, riddling his suit with holes and causing his atmosphere to vent into space, adding to the unholy mix of plasma conduit filler, boiled coolant, and smoke that is rapidly filling the room.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 29, 2015, 02:31:37 am »

A container huh? Then why don't we just bust it open by force?
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 49