Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 49

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Theorycrafting!  (Read 68654 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Roll 21
« Reply #540 on: January 29, 2015, 03:00:56 am »

A container huh? Then why don't we just bust it open by force?

The computer scientist laughs, although the distortion on the microphone and speaker is evident.

"Ah, you don't do that, silly! If there's something valuable aside it might blow you open. We don't know what kind of failsafes it has."
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 29, 2015, 07:24:37 am »

Is there a window around? If so, snatch my gold and jump out.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 29, 2015, 09:35:42 am »

F*** yeah, now I just need to find out what other tubes to shoot.

Get to the door with the pirates, go through, get my back to the wall, and fire the heavy rifle at the space pirates (I doubt the rifle would send me through a wall).
Also, try to radio about where the spinal railgun's plasma tubes/freeze banks are.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:18:07 pm by Happy Demon »
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 29, 2015, 01:18:04 pm »

Is there a window around? If so, snatch my gold and jump out.

((A window to the low-atmosphere, frigid planet outside I reckon.))

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 29, 2015, 01:35:46 pm »

((Ok, more detail on the fluff... in the form of fluff.))
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:46:37 pm by Happy Demon »

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 29, 2015, 01:41:25 pm »

Slvia floats over to the tree....thing.

"Greetings, would you be so kind as to move, so that I might pass by, thank you."

Wait until the tree moves.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 29, 2015, 07:10:50 pm »

Sheit. Could I try to get the gold and run past any assailants outside and towards the other Guildmen?
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 30, 2015, 10:18:35 am »

((Hm... I'm a bit unsure how far I can go with the power on these things, but anyway, fluff.))
Edit: ((More fluff.))
Edit 2: ((Even more fluff.))
Edit 3: ((Modified the 1st spoiler.))
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 04:03:46 am by Happy Demon »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 30, 2015, 06:50:16 pm »

((Laser crocodiles are excusable, antimatter production would not be since they'd be farmed for an easy supply of the stuff, and it's supposed to be rare.))

Port Anchorage, Northern Ridge, Askarian | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Askarian Shores
Snow (Low visibility. Actions toward distant objects incur a small penalty based on distance)
Freezing Wind (-1 to all actions when exposed)

Sheit. Could I try to get the gold and run past any assailants outside and towards the other Guildmen?

[6] You snatch the gold so quickly and scoop it into  that the drunken assailants don't even know what happened. The problem is that it's all in coins and nuggets, which means it's all bunched up in your hands, at least until you stash it somewhere. You'll have to keep running for now, though. Still inside your suit, you make your way to the exit airlock and slip inside, mashing the buttons with your elbow before anyone can close in on you. Laughter ensues through the door at the spectacle, but fades away along with the atmosphere.

You stash the gold inside one of your suit's built-in compartments, normally reserved for a handgun or grenade. Out on the pier, you locate your Guild spaceplane and see that the officer, pilot, and engineer have been working with the local staff to work out a deal.

Repairman 1: We don't have a replacement for the chute, though we can order one by boat and it would arrive in a few hours. Other than that, we can have her spaceworthy in roughly an hour.
Guild Pilot: We need to get airborne as quickly as possible.
Guild Officer: I'll call up HQ to send another plane, a combat-ready one.
Repairman 2: Excellent. The movers will be here any moment now.

The Officer sees you skipping closer and turns on the comms.

"What's the deal, Hal? You look like you're in a hurry for something."

A boat speeds out of the docks in relatively close proximity. It kicks up a wake several meters over the water, splattering the entire docks with frigid water that starts condensing on the ground, making it slippery. It also splashes on your helmet, but due to internal heating it melts right away and doesn't cloud your vision.

It's worth noting that the stationary boat you just fled from has multiple decks, all reachable by ladder. If you don't want to enter through the first floor, you can get back in through one of the upper decks. There are four in total, the main deck, a classy restaurant (no spacesuits allowed), an observation deck, and a retail deck where they sell stuff (mostly fishing equipment, boxes, and some imported goods like electronics, mobility, and suits. Askarian doesn't have much in the way of local manufacturing).

Habitat Ship Gamma, Askarian Orbit | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Urban Station
City Manners (-1 to first impressions)

Slvia floats over to the tree....thing.

"Greetings, would you be so kind as to move, so that I might pass by, thank you."

Wait until the tree moves.

[6] The tree doesn't appear to listen. You pester it some more, until you finally elicit a response.

Lacking a mouth, the tree wouldn't be able to speak normally. However, right before your eyes viewports, a gap appears in the tree's bark, accompanied by a spray of sawdust and golden glittering stuff.
In a deep, croaking voice, the tree answers you.

"I must reclaim my head from these thieves. Will you enter and retrieve it for me? It is in a cylindrical box, in the hands of a filthy robot."

A container huh? Then why don't we just bust it open by force?

The computer scientist laughs, although the distortion on the microphone and speaker is evident.

"Ah, you don't do that, silly! If there's something valuable aside it might blow you open. We don't know what kind of failsafes it has."

The mechanized scientist starts to carry the cylinder into a vault, via a high-security elevator. In fact, this elevator is off-limits to "Non-constructs." Presumably because there are a lot of things that could go wrong down there. Still, you feel that you could just stick it in a shop and . No need for this security nonsense.

[1] Since it's your property, technically, you can stop him from taking the device, although you won't be allowed to bring it into the workshop.

The Jolly Roger, Franz| 238d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Zero Gravity
All items have no weight penalty.

[5+2] The plasma cloud does not damage you this turn.

You enter the door that the now-scorched pirates came through, coming across a circular tunnel lined with lockers and cabinets. Looking inside, you find welding equipment and power tools, as well as air tanks and high-energy batteries.

The tunnel is a T-intersection, with the turn leading to some kind of 3d printing chamber where the maintenance crews would manufacture parts from a substrate, and the straight path leading to another plasma conduit.

You start a radio conversation.
You: *asks about the location of the spinal railgun's power lines and cooling banks*
Mission Control: Well, it looks like the conduits form a web. I'm looking into your team's headcam feed, and it looks like you've taken out one of the conduits. Great, but you'll need to get closer before you'll noticeably affect the charging rate. The halls aren't labelled since that would help attackers find their way. The crewmen might have maps with them, maybe as part of their faceplate display.
Steve: I found a lock that leads into the water tanks. We brought breaching charges, correct?
Mission Control: They are inside the invasion pod, yes.
Steve: Perfect, you all can follow the current and it'll lead you to the pumps.
Alice: *grunts*
Charles: Us? What about you?
Steve: Water is a potent solvent and heavily contributes to oxidation. I'm surprised organics need the stuff to survive.
Charles: *still drunk on inertial dampening fluid* So I'll have to swim in space... great. I think I'll get vomit on my faceplate.
Steve: May I suggest the neural blockers that came in the supply kit?
Charles: Yeah... I didn't take those... I'll just stay in the pod for now and try to figure out where they are. You guys okay?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Roll 22
« Reply #549 on: January 30, 2015, 07:40:04 pm »

Find a lounge and chill out. Nothing to reallydo until the mission.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 30, 2015, 07:57:40 pm »

((I actually made them antimatter simply because it's the only techno babbly thing I could think of that was more powerful than photons (which appears in sci-fi a lot... photon torpedoes), the only other thing I can think of is nuclear fusion (fission would just kill everyone with radiation poisoning) or plasma shots.))
((How about I just make them fire plasma shots? It should still be nasty to be hit by.))

"I'm fine, a couple holes in some cooling part of my suit, though even if I did get hurt, it wouldn't matter. I can regenerate."
Hm, compressed gas, could make quite the bang.
*Grab the oxygen tank and move away from the plasma cloud*
"Alice looks like she got hurt, but I'm sure she'll manage, she's tough. But that had to have hurt though."
I should check if she's a Sludge soon, just to be sure.

"While I'd like to go wreck people right now (this rifle has some funny results when it hits people), I'll go with the sabotage, blow open the lock."

Grab the oxygen tank, let Charles or Steve blow up the lock, and follow the current.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 30, 2015, 08:22:44 pm »

((I actually made them antimatter simply because it's the only techno babbly thing I could think of that was more powerful than photons (which appears in sci-fi a lot... photon torpedoes), the only other thing I can think of is nuclear fusion (fission would just kill everyone with radiation poisoning) or plasma shots.))
((How about I just make them fire plasma shots? It should still be nasty to be hit by.))

((So many things wrong here. No offense, but I have to nitpick :P
-First off, photons are light. A photon torpedo is actually an antimatter torpedo. Light is a really terrible energy storage medium.
-Second off, antimatter is really hard to produce. Remember e = mc˛? All the energy you put into antimatter MUST come from somewhere, and it's painfully inefficient to produce (0.01% iirc). Antimatter is just an an energy storage medium, although small amounts occur naturally especially around ringed planets. It's not enough to generate much power, but it's enough to catalyze nuclear reactions below a critical mass. Which is especially important for fusion since you need several million degrees to attain it.
-Fusion can produce plenty of radiation. See the hydrogen bomb. Not to mention that you need fission to start fusion a lot of the time, at least without antimatter.
Also, fusion reactions generally involve elements which are really freaking rare on a lot of planets. Maybe if Bob is a big enough world to sustain a helium atmosphere, but it's unlikely that a crocodile could create localized temperatures of millions of kelvins and thousands of atmospheres of pressure.
-Fission requires high concentrations of pure fuels. The crododiles would need to be eating tons of rock and enriching uranium to use fission, pretty much.
-Plasma projectiles in this universe involve high-temperature gasses with really powerful magnetic fields. If you can come up with a technobabble way for a living, reproducing creature to do that with no tech base, then go for it.))

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 30, 2015, 08:26:51 pm »

"Sure I`ll help, but how in the world is a metal cylinder your head and why did they steal it?"

After hearing its answer, float inside and look for an employee.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 03:01:16 pm by Ama »

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 30, 2015, 08:52:24 pm »

((Yeah, gonna have to do a lot of techno babble then. F***ing Sci-fi and it's scientific inaccuracy.))

((Ok, so the basics of Plasma weaponry, a hyper heated compound inside a hard quickly constructed insulating shell, made to last the travel as a projectile (though like a bubble, it would inevitably burst).
Also, there is some tech inside the crocodiles, it's just... different, mechanical parts made organically, it's a mess of mad science, beyond sane human comprehension.
In order to reach this temperature there would have to be some way of channeling or generating heat, heightened metabolism can only go so far, so another means have to be made.
The inside would simply be like a roaring furnace to make energy and heat generation possible, the entire 12 meter main body primarily dedicated to heat generation.

Lasers would be simple though, as you only need a way to convert heat to light.
Plasma would require a lot more heat, 30 meters of main body primarily dedicated to heat and chemical reactions, so as to generate plasma, organs capable of making shells for said plasma, and a mouthful of muscles dedicated to propelling it.
Thick skin to insulate the body from the outside, could lead to every wound erupting jets of searing hot gas.))

((Though I'm probably missing a lot.))

Edit: ((Also, fusion has immediate radiation generation, fission creates compounds with half-lives, which constantly emits radiation.))
Edit 2: ((Oops, forgot the tail.))
Edit 3: ((Actually, this seems logical enough for me, so I'll roll with it, and edit my post, at least they're not shooting antimatter.))
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 03:52:59 am by Happy Demon »

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 31, 2015, 05:07:21 am »

((Anyway, more fluff.))
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 05:09:29 am by Happy Demon »

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 49