Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress ignoring body detail plans  (Read 1235 times)

Borked

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress ignoring body detail plans
« on: November 09, 2014, 12:08:28 pm »

So,I recently found out what a sliver is,and I thought how cool it would be to have them in Dwarf Fortress as hostile wild animals (maybe playable as adventurers,too),and so Ii started recreating them.

There's one serious problem though,no matter what I do,I can't get them to use the special tissues I made for them (for example,the armor sliver's hide).
I tried giving the body detail plans to other creatures (humans),but they wouldn't use them at all("...but the attack passes right through!",or they would use their standard tissues,skin,bone,etc.),I even tried giving them cartilage instead of every other tissue,and that worked,the hide though,it's like it doesn't even exist.
I don't understand what I'm doing wrong,maybe I'm missing something very obvious.

I'll be posting here the modified raws,so that anyone can helm find out what's wrong.

Human Raws
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SLIVER_TISSUES from b_detail_plan_default.txt

SLIVER_GENERIC_MATERIALS from b_detail_plan_default.txt

SLIVER_TISSUE_LAYERS from b_detail_plan_default.txt

SLIVER_ARMOR_TEMPLATE from material_template_default.txt

SLIVER_ARMOR_TEMPLATE from tissue_template_default.txt
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 12:16:55 pm by Borked »

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress ignoring body detail plans
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 12:13:47 pm »

Are those raws in separate files? There's a few trip-ups there that could render everything inert.

Borked

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 12:16:13 pm »

Yeah,they're all in different files,except SLIVER_TISSUES,SLIVER_GENERIC_MATERIALS,SLIVER_TISSUE_LAYERS,they're from b_detail_plan_default.txt
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 12:17:47 pm by Borked »

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 06:04:49 am »

This [TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SLIVER_ARMOR_TEMPLATE] needs to call for an actual material, not a template. Materials are creature wide and defining the same ones repeatedly is pointless (most GENERIC_MATERIALS), this also means that [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:SLIVER_GENERIC_MATERIALS] can be placed anywhere but must be before its materials are referenced (STANDARD_MATERIALS can't be after STANDARD_TISSUES).
Tissues are caste-wide but all caste-wide things are creature-wide if placed before castes exist. So under all the outer armor layers of the females (who are to become the slivers?) they will have skin>fat>muscle>bone (for most bodyparts). This is because [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE] already set tissues for the caste's bodyparts and body_detail_plans don't overwrite each other (they are mostly shorthand for other commands). So your female caste is physically human until heaps of armor layers are slapped over her skin (they phasing through is due to calling a template and not a material in the tissue template) and organ material layers slapped over those.

It also seems like you looked through the creatures beforehand and tried to reconstruct from vanilla examples. You will make a great modder; using templates for particular creatures is a hassle and overly cluttering (unfortunately vanilla also lacks examples of other ways to do them).

Now less teaching and more practical assistance.
A couple of things to note about b_detail_plans BP_LAYERS is that they are based on ratio (I think, might be wrong) so when your custom b_detail_plan is applied over top of normal materials most of the creature becomes made of armor. Something else I am absolutely certain of is that you only need as many arguments as you use in the detail plan so SLIVER_ARMOR:SLIVER_ARMOR:SLIVER_ARMOR is more relevant than what you (and I above) have. Additionally I can't understand why you have a body_detail_plan that applies the same tissue multiple times.

!!Cheers!!
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Borked

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 03:54:23 pm »

Thanks,you've helped a lot me a lot!

Anyways,i kept MUSCLE,BONE and CARTILAGE because slivers (just a theory,there isn't much focus on sliver anatomy) have a visible (or what looks like it) bone structure (ribcage),and often,bulging muscles.

As for cartilage,some slivers have their spine (which,as far as i know, is a cartilaginous joint) outline visible through the skin.
Seeing muscles and bone structure so prominent led me to think that slivers don't have a fat protective layer,which is why i removed fat tissue and kept everything else (or,in case of special breeds,other tissues which act like plating or a harder skin have been added and/or replaced the 'standard' breed's skin).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 04:16:57 pm by Borked »