Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Isn't HFS getting less, and less fun?  (Read 7701 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: Isn't HFS getting less, and less fun?
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2014, 09:37:05 pm »

I think that there should still be a normal, bland hell.

But dotting random areas of the world, there's small adamantine pockets around the magma layer, and those contain all of the horrors that we've come to know and love in the 40d era! Except with procedurally generated demons, of course.

Rescuing chained up skinless giant tigers, anyone?
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2014, 11:35:31 pm »

They are in a separate world...
This might be much more relevant than any of us realize as to why Hell as it stands -- a big cave with tough creatures hiding in it -- has been watered/dumbed down for now rather than built up. Isn't transplanar fortress colonization supposed to be a thing in DF21XX, in which case hell dimensions could eventually be entire dark worlds populated by exotic races and civilizations of monsters of varying degrees of hostility, abomination and horror? (Possibly some controlled by the machinations of once-minor lawyer devils with plans for the apocalypse?)
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2014, 08:47:07 am »

DF21XX
Oh dear, I'll be transplanar by that time myself... ;P
Just kids...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2014, 02:23:29 pm »

after the initial breach it seems very boring yeah, even the caverns have more content, what i would do is the following:

-make hell a second world map: from what i gather of fortress mode, caverns and hell are generated as single instances in each embark,i dont know how that works in worldgen but it would be cool if all the underground regions were forming different world layers i mean. there would be a whole map of the underground (caverns) and a whole map for hell itself. the magma sea too.

-make hell as complex as the overworld: the caverns are a world by itself, althought its composed of 3 different types. hell could be as complex and be compossed of different biomes, it could even mirror the overworld. slade would be the along the lowest Zlvls before reaching a second molten layer with no more rock to breach.

-minerals and stuff found only down there. maybe some kind of adamantine-like material for other weapons (adamantine seems good for edged, but how about blunt weapons?)

-evil fauna and flora which thrives in the demonic grounds, some of them lava dependant maybe. breeding and growing them should be a challenge but worth in value

-demon fortresses dotting the landscape, with similar features to the original ones, acting as sites and ruins for the adventurers and the fortress that get to breach into it.

-demons could have different castes as people point, pretty much like angelic beings. with guardians, bestial and FB/titan type ones.

-after breaching hell the player is welcomed by a scouting group, and not by a huge zerg rush, the idea is that the player will have it hard to deal with the welcoming party. but in the case of getting victorious it would later be challenged in time by goblin-scale sieges from the demon fortress.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2014, 10:30:00 pm »

Must... Keep... Interesting... Thread... AAAALIIIIVE!!!
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2014, 10:48:19 pm »

To me, the most annoying part is the demons love to swim in magma sea.
The adamantine shafts they come from are usually not straight up/down so they can always find a way into the magma.
As soon as I wall off my fort, they turn back and swim in magma...tons of them...this slows thing down because they also fight those fire imps.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2014, 12:26:03 am »

Hey, at least they rid you of an annoyance before decimating you, right?
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]