Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure log, day one: I can't stop eating dwarves  (Read 2575 times)

Corinthian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure log, day one: I can't stop eating dwarves
« on: November 09, 2014, 05:28:19 pm »

So I've been aware of Dwarf Fortress for some time (mostly via screenshot LPs like Boatmurdered, which is fucking glorious) but just couldn't get into it. The graphics, the interface, it was all too much.

Fast-forward some many many months and I've been on a Nethack kick. Mostly with a tileset but sometimes on default graphics, and they're growing on me. So I stop and think "Hey, I'll give Dwarf Fortress another go, why not!" ...So I do. And the default graphics, while I can now appreciate the aesthetic, are still not doing it for me. Just...When I'm murdering a goblin, I want to see some semblance of a goblin.

Anyway I decided that, unable to penetrate Fortress Mode (I can't even figure out how to cut a tree, much less the mad chaos of the interface) and not really feeling up to learning at the moment, I'd give Adventure Mode a spin. Figure I'd lead this little fella on as long as I could then when he died, I'd have a nifty legend to justify a band of drunks venturing out to build a crappy fort.

So I grab a tileset (Ironhand, I think) and soundsense (the lack of sound was another problem for me) and set to generating the world. I decide my adventurer needs something...Unique. And then I decide that something is "He only ever fights via biting". This unique trait in mind, I dump all my points (I went with Demigod for max potential) into biting. Others points went into endurance, toughness and some other thing. Whatever. His surname (for story purposes, nickname whispered in terror by drunks) is Bloodtooth (Full name: Urist Bloodtooth, the Carnage of Brothers - The epithet will make sense shortly). The vague outline I gave myself for character backstory is "A fortress guard totally loses his shit and just starts biting throats out wherever he roams. Things proceed from there."  So I start in a fortress and wander my way to a room full of my fellows.

My first act of dwarven brotherhood? I latch onto a peasant's head with my teeth. Then his thigh. Then various other appendages and body parts until he bleeds to death. Rinse and repeat with a bonecarver and an herbalist. Viciously murdering the herbalist agitates a resident diplomat into trying to murder me, so now I've gotta kill him too. As I'm chomping on his hands, arms, feet, legs (by the end of it, his only form of attack was biting), I get a sudden urge to swallow his tongue. Chomp. Rip. E. And then disappointment. I can't eat his tongue.  :( I can lick it, which is amusingly silly, but that just doesn't provide the same feeling, you know?

So I bite out his eyeballs and leave him to flail blindly until he bleeds out, but not before he punctures my lung. It heals with some waiting and I take out my anger on a nearby surgeon by biting off all of his toes. Now I'm systematically slaughtering the rest of the room's inhabitants in similar fashion and still mourning that I can't eat their tongues. And now wondering if I can pick the tongues up and start a collection. All this while the rest of the folks in the room spectate with the occasional horrified or apathetic comment.

This was my first day in Dwarf Fortress. I feel it went well.  :D

(And I notice somehow I can latch onto an ear with one upper tooth and a toe with another upper tooth...What kind of horrific Lovecraftian beasts are these dwarves anyway? XD)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 05:50:16 pm by Corinthian »

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure log, day one: I can't stop eating dwarves
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 09:41:56 pm »

You'll need to butcher the tongues (or any body part) into meat before you can eat it.

You ought to live entirely underground, in the caverns, following the dwarf-roads and occasionally coming up into the fortresses to slay a single hapless victim, whom you drag down into the depths and butcher, feeding off their remains. All dwarves will come to fear you, and name you in legends and wives' tales after the horrifying guttural gasps you make in the darkness...

Sounds like fun. Maybe I'll try it out.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Corinthian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 11:56:01 pm »

You ought to live entirely underground, in the caverns, following the dwarf-roads and occasionally coming up into the fortresses to slay a single hapless victim, whom you drag down into the depths and butcher, feeding off their remains.

That's more or less the plan, playing Sawney Bean (google him) as a dwarf and seeing how long it lasts. Speaking of lasting, it's nothing short of amazing how long it takes a dwarf to bleed out with three or four severed arteries...

Amusingly, today I found myself chatting up a fellow and planting rumors about the guy I'd gruesomely dismembered just moments earlier. Bizarre to say the least.  :o

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 12:04:47 pm »

This was actually the first thing I did when playing Dwarf Fortress the first time.  I'm not even joking.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 10:16:22 pm »

So I've been aware of Dwarf Fortress for some time (mostly via screenshot LPs like Boatmurdered, which is fucking glorious) but just couldn't get into it. The graphics, the interface, it was all too much.

Fast-forward some many many months and I've been on a Nethack kick. Mostly with a tileset but sometimes on default graphics, and they're growing on me. So I stop and think "Hey, I'll give Dwarf Fortress another go, why not!" ...So I do. And the default graphics, while I can now appreciate the aesthetic, are still not doing it for me. Just...When I'm murdering a goblin, I want to see some semblance of a goblin.

Anyway I decided that, unable to penetrate Fortress Mode (I can't even figure out how to cut a tree, much less the mad chaos of the interface) and not really feeling up to learning at the moment, I'd give Adventure Mode a spin. Figure I'd lead this little fella on as long as I could then when he died, I'd have a nifty legend to justify a band of drunks venturing out to build a crappy fort.

So I grab a tileset (Ironhand, I think) and soundsense (the lack of sound was another problem for me) and set to generating the world. I decide my adventurer needs something...Unique. And then I decide that something is "He only ever fights via biting". This unique trait in mind, I dump all my points (I went with Demigod for max potential) into biting. Others points went into endurance, toughness and some other thing. Whatever. His surname (for story purposes, nickname whispered in terror by drunks) is Bloodtooth (Full name: Urist Bloodtooth, the Carnage of Brothers - The epithet will make sense shortly). The vague outline I gave myself for character backstory is "A fortress guard totally loses his shit and just starts biting throats out wherever he roams. Things proceed from there."  So I start in a fortress and wander my way to a room full of my fellows.

My first act of dwarven brotherhood? I latch onto a peasant's head with my teeth. Then his thigh. Then various other appendages and body parts until he bleeds to death. Rinse and repeat with a bonecarver and an herbalist. Viciously murdering the herbalist agitates a resident diplomat into trying to murder me, so now I've gotta kill him too. As I'm chomping on his hands, arms, feet, legs (by the end of it, his only form of attack was biting), I get a sudden urge to swallow his tongue. Chomp. Rip. E. And then disappointment. I can't eat his tongue.  :( I can lick it, which is amusingly silly, but that just doesn't provide the same feeling, you know?

So I bite out his eyeballs and leave him to flail blindly until he bleeds out, but not before he punctures my lung. It heals with some waiting and I take out my anger on a nearby surgeon by biting off all of his toes. Now I'm systematically slaughtering the rest of the room's inhabitants in similar fashion and still mourning that I can't eat their tongues. And now wondering if I can pick the tongues up and start a collection. All this while the rest of the folks in the room spectate with the occasional horrified or apathetic comment.

This was my first day in Dwarf Fortress. I feel it went well.  :D

(And I notice somehow I can latch onto an ear with one upper tooth and a toe with another upper tooth...What kind of horrific Lovecraftian beasts are these dwarves anyway? XD)

I wish i could sig all of this
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Jebediah`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 05:20:15 pm »

I still remember the text I sent my friend who played DF the night he finally convinced me to try it.

"Dude, I'm biting water buffaloes! This is awesome!"

Corinthian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 04:33:13 pm »

Now I keep getting mobbed and killed by boogeymen every time I travel outside the fortress.  :'(

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 12:12:42 am »

Bogeymen are about at night. Get a companion, or sleep somewhere you can't see dawn (I think sleeping in an owned site is safe now? It's a new fix). Should be under "Ask listener to join you (new menu)" in the conversation list. Tal[k] with the 'k' button, using the yellow X cursor to select who to talk to. I'm guessing you haven't used that particular option yet.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 04:27:00 am »

Dwarfes have inbuild warpdrives and wormhole generators, allowing their bodyparts to bend and stretch into impossible directions without actually doing so. :P

Regarding Boogeymens, yes, they tend to maul anyone travelling alone in the night. Some of the few things of protection is either getting a companion or sleeping on an oceans shore. They apparently dont like beaches.

Corinthian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 09:48:54 am »

Bogeymen are about at night. Get a companion, or sleep somewhere you can't see dawn (I think sleeping in an owned site is safe now? It's a new fix). Should be under "Ask listener to join you (new menu)" in the conversation list. Tal[k] with the 'k' button, using the yellow X cursor to select who to talk to. I'm guessing you haven't used that particular option yet.

Slept in a tiny room with a bunch of drunks and a diplomat. Drunken diplomacy rightfully wards off night creatures, it seems, while my bag full of dwarf organs and meat probably kept the drunks at bay.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 10:03:51 am »

Whenever I bite something in adventure mode, I always think of Wario in Super Smash Bros Brawl

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 07:12:42 pm »

You can also use advanced world-gen. Bogeyman types 0 means no bogeys ;)
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 02:52:21 pm »

dont campfires keep them at bay too?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 06:32:25 pm »

dont campfires keep them at bay too?
It won't stop the event from happening, so they can still appear. They won't walk into fire, either campfires or undergrowth set on fire. Occasionally they can fly though.

You can throw things at them until dawn when they disappear, then jump over the fires.

Or you can leave one of the 8 squares around you without fire and try to take them on without being surrounded.

If you manage to kill any, their corpses will also disappear when the event ends. But, you can currently butcher them before the event ends and the parts won't disappear.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.