Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Miners, woodcutters, and hunters  (Read 3576 times)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Miners, woodcutters, and hunters
« on: November 10, 2014, 11:07:54 am »

The people in most danger happily use leather caps and a dress, while everyone else walks around with helms and at least leather armour (in my current, heavily militarised fort). I understand the three professions need a custom uniform, but could it possibly be opened to interference by listing the miner, woodcutter, hunter uniforms in the uniform screen in the military? You can already interfere with the ammunition your hunters use in the military screens.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Miners, woodcutters, and hunters
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 05:42:45 am »

Allow the three uniforms to be modifiable, but hardcode the appropriately necessary items as unchangeable (axe, pick etc).

So we get to add armour to the woodcutter and so on.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 08:21:58 am »

Allow the three uniforms to be modifiable, but hardcode the appropriately necessary items as unchangeable (axe, pick etc).

So we get to add armour to the woodcutter and so on.
Not unchangeable, but not removable.  In other words you can specify that you want the miner to have a steel pick or a copper one. You wouldn't be able to get less than "personal choice" pick.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 10:38:48 am »

Why put weird restrictions on it? If he's going to implement this (which I think is a good idea), and put in all the time anyway making a UI and stuff, let's just go ahead and get the most out of it.

ALL civilians, by both name and profession, able to be assigned fully customizable uniforms, just copy paste of the military uniform code, but then tweaked to a new menu, sort of as if everybody else in the whole fort were part of a single "squad"

That's almost certainly easier if anything to code than just the miners, woodcutters, and hunters, and is much more useful overall.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 01:51:23 pm »

Why put weird restrictions on it? If he's going to implement this (which I think is a good idea), and put in all the time anyway making a UI and stuff, let's just go ahead and get the most out of it.

ALL civilians, by both name and profession, able to be assigned fully customizable uniforms, just copy paste of the military uniform code, but then tweaked to a new menu, sort of as if everybody else in the whole fort were part of a single "squad"

That's almost certainly easier if anything to code than just the miners, woodcutters, and hunters, and is much more useful overall.
I like making it general; I just want to make sure the player can't accidentally nerf all of the miners by removing the pick from their uniform.  On the other hand, I don't want to turn this into a dollhouse game where you're micromanaging what everyone wears.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 02:15:54 pm »

Don't use the feature then? Of course the miners etc. should function properly without having to assign them anything special (i.e. a default uniform exists with "choose your own pick" and nothing else for a miner)

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 03:15:35 pm »

I don't think a general "everyone always wears uniform" is really appropriate. You can't assign their moods, their friends etc. as well. Miners, woodcutters, and hunters already are half-military in so far as they wield weapons. If you really insist you already can assign uniforms to civilians (when you run a militarised fort i.e. demobilized militia, even as a dollhouse game where you assign individual socks). However, this does not work for the three (weapon-wielding) professions, because the professional (but player inaccessible) uniform interferes, to the point they take silk shoes instead of leather boots on the hunting trip or a silk cap instead of sth. more protective during mining. This is the reason for this suggestion.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 03:43:39 pm »

If you really insist you already can assign uniforms to civilians
Um, I make all their clothes for them...

If you're getting your clothing handed out to you by the government, you better damn well expect the government might want to have some opinions about what you wear, and who has which items from those things.

If you want to still be a dirty elf hippie about it, then I suppose you could make it so that civilians still have their full pool of owned clothing as options for uniforms no matter what, but you can still assign your own new clothing to specific people. How about that?

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 05:55:29 pm »

You can already decide what everyone wears already, but I personally don't want to have to deal with the micromanagement of "disable labors on miners->add them to military->tell them to replace clothing->ensure they have protective gear on->atomsmash or forbid literally everything that isn't armor->remove from military->re-enable mining on miners."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 06:02:05 pm »

That doesn't work. They'll just strip and run around naked.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 06:55:03 pm »

You can already decide what everyone wears already, but I personally don't want to have to deal with the micromanagement of "disable labors on miners->add them to military->tell them to replace clothing->ensure they have protective gear on->atomsmash or forbid literally everything that isn't armor->remove from military->re-enable mining on miners."
In other words, you can't actually do it reasonably already... I equate this with "impossible" since it's never going to happen routinely in anybody's fort either way.

Make it easy, though, and some people totally would do it. I probably would do it if it were as simple as clicking down a list and assigning a uniform to each person (30 seconds total). If for no other reason than to weed out all the random crap articles of clothing I don't care about and replace with tunic, trousers, shoes for simplicity and maybe even FPS.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 07:13:25 pm »

In other words, you can't actually do it reasonably already... I equate this with "impossible" since it's never going to happen routinely in anybody's fort either way.

Make it easy, though, and some people totally would do it. I probably would do it if it were as simple as clicking down a list and assigning a uniform to each person (30 seconds total). If for no other reason than to weed out all the random crap articles of clothing I don't care about and replace with tunic, trousers, shoes for simplicity and maybe even FPS.

No socks?  :'( :'(

Guess I am in the dollhouse faction, I have replace clothing for the military and check that each one has two of them issued.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 07:06:31 pm »

I'd love this just so I can have a war pick squadron that doesn't get their WMDs stolen by assorted miners. Assign iron picks to miners, steel to military. Problem solved.
Everything's in the news today

Tristan Alkai

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE_CURIOSITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 11:43:42 am »

Looks like nobody's actually posted that link to bug 1451 yet. 

My main priority with this would be the ability to seamlessly assign an axedwarf or miner to a squad and pre-emptively kill monsters that show up, as covered in the bug report near the beginning of the comments (by Inspiration). 

More precisely, I want things to work smoothly when I switch the squad assignment on and off.  See a monster, target it with someone nearby, then have that dwarf get back to work when the monster's dead. 

(Edit)I found a different thread on the subject: "Expose invisible mine/chop/hunt uniform on the military screen".  I like that title better.  It gives a much quicker and more concise description of what we are trying to do.(/Edit)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 02:45:09 pm by Tristan Alkai »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 06:11:19 pm »

If you really insist you already can assign uniforms to civilians
Um, I make all their clothes for them...

If you're getting your clothing handed out to you by the government, you better damn well expect the government might want to have some opinions about what you wear, and who has which items from those things.

If you want to still be a dirty elf hippie about it, then I suppose you could make it so that civilians still have their full pool of owned clothing as options for uniforms no matter what, but you can still assign your own new clothing to specific people. How about that?

It won't always be the government, though. That's somewhat of a placeholder. Building an entire feature around that assumption isn't very useful. Hell, it'll cease to be so government-centered as of the next major release.
Pages: [1] 2