Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Miners, woodcutters, and hunters  (Read 3549 times)

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
Re: Miners, woodcutters, and hunters
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 02:19:48 pm »

It won't always be the government, though. That's somewhat of a placeholder. Building an entire feature around that assumption isn't very useful. Hell, it'll cease to be so government-centered as of the next major release.

The feature is more being built around the idea that it would be useful for protecting our most important dwarves. The reasoning doesn't really matter. It could be the government, the society, or individuals deciding that the best thing to wear is armor.
Hell, you can force a dwarf to commit suicide by pulling a lever that he hooked up to a spike trap that he installed right below him. Until we get rid of that level of "Will of the Fortress", the dwarves deciding as a community to wear armor is not a problem to me.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 01:19:16 pm »

This could work really well, specially in scenarios were everyone could be considered a soldier like a fortress proper, or an outpost for example. Of course as said it would be far better to go all the way and be able to set uniforms according to professions/jobs or individual dwarves.

In the case of a regular fortress (which eventually will become blank statement for whatever you choose to develop, towns, prisons, factories, outpost...) then it could have some repercussions, like "Urist McWoodcutter is distraught by being forced to use heavy armor to do his work lately".
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 06:03:03 pm »

In the case of a regular fortress (which eventually will become blank statement for whatever you choose to develop, towns, prisons, factories, outpost...) then it could have some repercussions, like "Urist McWoodcutter is distraught by being forced to use heavy armor to do his work lately".
Perhaps with temporarily reduced severity if there's been recent deaths or maimings?
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

breadman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 08:05:13 pm »

Why put weird restrictions on it? If he's going to implement this (which I think is a good idea), and put in all the time anyway making a UI and stuff, let's just go ahead and get the most out of it.

ALL civilians, by both name and profession, able to be assigned fully customizable uniforms, just copy paste of the military uniform code, but then tweaked to a new menu, sort of as if everybody else in the whole fort were part of a single "squad"

This sounds good at first, unless the uniforms conflict with each other.  On top of that, the dwarf's labor and profession might not match, leading them to have the wrong uniform for what they're trying to do.

Instead, could the hard-coded uniforms be removed entirely?  Certain jobs already require certain tools, like wheelbarrows and step ladders; can mining, hunting, and woodchopping use that system instead?  (And if the dwarf already happens to have an axe or a crossbow and quiver as part of their military uniform, then let them use that.)  Granted, this could lead to a lot of time wasted by dwarves picking up and putting away their equipment...
Quote from: Kevin Wayne, in r.g.r.n
Is a "diety" the being pictured by one of those extremely skinny aboriginal statues?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 06:47:28 am »

But that's how it's supposed to be, at least logically. Wood chopping axes shouldn't be as readily used for war and battle axes shouldn't be used to chop trees so happily.

I would expect a woodcutter axe to perform below a battle axe in battle.

However I think that would have to wait when Toady gets to expand upon tools, and then IF he wants to make woodcutters axes different from battle axes.

Another interesting thing on that would be civilian dwarves carrying small axes, knives and other "small" weapons around just for personal use.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 10:43:25 am »

Another interesting thing on that would be civilian dwarves carrying small axes, knives and other "small" weapons around just for personal use.
There are already a variety of knives in the raws, which presumably show up somewhere in adventure mode.  I'm kinda fort-only so I'm not sure.  Just glad I haven't had to deal with a strange mood giving me an artifact chalk carving knife.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Obsidianos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 05:11:46 am »

What i find most disturbing is that when i assign a militia squad that i defined who gets what axe and which pick, as well as what kind of armor, when they return to their civilian duties they strip down and pick up all new civilian clothes and tools.
Me thinks the best way to bypass this problem, 'd be an option in military screen to "Keep uniform On when off duty"

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 09:58:08 am »

What i find most disturbing is that when i assign a militia squad that i defined who gets what axe and which pick, as well as what kind of armor, when they return to their civilian duties they strip down and pick up all new civilian clothes and tools.
Me thinks the best way to bypass this problem, 'd be an option in military screen to "Keep uniform On when off duty"
Try looking on the schedules screen: Inactive = uniformed. It just happens not to work because of the invisible uniform.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 10:05:41 am »

They simply really need to get their crap together and wear whatever they are assigned on duty and immediately change to any civil cloths/tools they own when off duty.

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 11:04:16 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Your presumption would be correct. Most NPCs found in houses in adventure mode will be have some sort of knife on the person.

I would love to have the ability to decide whether or not somebody is to wear something specific. It gets pretty annoying when I can't decide to give a specific person nice armor/clothing/weapon/tools easily.
Pages: 1 [2]