Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Slight problem  (Read 2586 times)

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slight problem
« on: November 10, 2014, 12:41:42 pm »

Hmm been having a slight problem in my current fort, everytime I order metal to be smithed into stuff for examp, e silver warhammers, the dwarves say ther be no refined coal, despite the fact I have 400 bars of coke and 200 bars of charcoal in bins near my smithy area, any idea whats wrong?
The Void shall consume all

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Slight problem
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 12:52:43 pm »

O you have stockpiles linked to the workshop?
Are you using bins for your metal stockpiles?
Any burrows in place?
Is there a path to the bar stockpile?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 01:06:00 pm »

Wooden bins storing the fuel, in a stockpile right above the forge, no burrows, clear path to stockpile, a weapons and armour stockpile linked for when weapons and armour is made for studding

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 01:07:18 pm »

That's the problem. People are hauling the fuel bin around. I suggest having a small, 8x6 stockpile of binless fuel near the workshop.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 01:09:40 pm »

Never been a problem before to be honest I have hundreds of units of fuel, in multiple bins.
And my smelters are working fine, it just the forge itself which is not operating
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:11:20 pm by Voidlord »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 01:10:40 pm »

But it is the problem. Dwarves haul bins around. It's just you've been lucky not to have them grabbing the bin. Bins aren't really worth the hassle.

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 01:16:39 pm »

Solved it linked the bar stockpile to the forge and smelters, now they are forging.
meh that was problematic, I have ALOT of bins storing the bars and refined fuel, so only a few would be getting picked up and carried around

I had linked a weapon and armour stockpile to it, and it would take anything from anything else, so once linked, it worked
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:30:48 pm by Voidlord »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 06:24:47 pm »

I have a dozen or so bins of fuel, and have no problem with fuel not being there when it is there. Only time I ever had fuel reported as being not there was when I honestly stopped cutting trees, and ran out of coal. I'm not sure why people bash bins: I find them essential for good fort management. If for no  other reason than moving trade goods to the trade depot, but also for storing old xclothingx, tanned hides, fabric, thread... And metal bars, coal, etc. They're endlessly useful objects.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 06:40:15 pm »

Solved it linked the bar stockpile to the forge and smelters, now they are forging.
meh that was problematic, I have ALOT of bins storing the bars and refined fuel, so only a few would be getting picked up and carried around

I had linked a weapon and armour stockpile to it, and it would take anything from anything else, so once linked, it worked
If a workshop is linked to one or more stockpiles it will ONLY take from linked stockpiles. So if you link it to a stone stockpile (for ore) you need to link it to a bar stockpile (for fuel) and any other stockpiles it needs (armour and such for studding)

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 07:07:14 pm »

I have a dozen or so bins of fuel, and have no problem with fuel not being there when it is there. Only time I ever had fuel reported as being not there was when I honestly stopped cutting trees, and ran out of coal. I'm not sure why people bash bins: I find them essential for good fort management. If for no  other reason than moving trade goods to the trade depot, but also for storing old xclothingx, tanned hides, fabric, thread... And metal bars, coal, etc. They're endlessly useful objects.
I find them essential, make hundreds of Wooden bins, due to woods lightness, to store bars, and trade goods, makes trading very easy

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 02:37:11 am »

I think most bin bashing comes from people getting used to the ease of minecart quantum stockpiles, and the pain it is to avoid the endless loops where dorfs haul a bin to the pile, grab it, put something from the pile in it, put the bin in the pile, take something out and put it in the feeder pile, put it back in the qsp, pull the bin out, put the item back in the bin, etc, etc, etc, forever. Barrels get similar results if you mix them carelessly into the qsp lists but they're more of a necessary thing than bins are if you aren't already used to bins.

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 04:26:34 am »

I think most bin bashing comes from people getting used to the ease of minecart quantum stockpiles, and the pain it is to avoid the endless loops where dorfs haul a bin to the pile, grab it, put something from the pile in it, put the bin in the pile, take something out and put it in the feeder pile, put it back in the qsp, pull the bin out, put the item back in the bin, etc, etc, etc, forever. Barrels get similar results if you mix them carelessly into the qsp lists but they're more of a necessary thing than bins are if you aren't already used to bins.
heh I suppose so...
Also I likenyour pic, from the goblins webcomic...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 09:14:22 am »

The DF2014 seems to hate bins even more so than previous versions. Arrows in bins have always been bad. Now dwarves can't seem to find things like cloth in bins sitting right next to the workshop. Linking to the workshop seems to help.

Given all the hauling difficulties with bins, though, I've just decided to do away with them altogether.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 10:02:04 am »

The other issues with containers in general is that they ignore stockpile linkages, making dwarves do hauling that you do not want to happen.

If a dwarf grabs a barrel or bin and loads something into it, they will happily haul it down 100z-levels to store an item in a stockpile that is set to only take from the shop it's hooked up to, despite the item in question being 3 tiles away from the "take from anywhere" stockpile.  Saw this all the time after trading for bars.  Dwarves would seem to preferentially haul them 150 tiles away to the linked pile next to my magma smelter rather than the 3 tiles to the stockpile almost directly adjacent to the trade depot.

This problem is exacerbated by the fact that hauling jobs do not properly respect burrowing restrictions when being assigned.  You can normally work around this by using linkages, but since containers ignore linkages you can get some very disruptive behavior out of a dwarf who grabs a container for hauling while burrowed.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 10:06:23 am by Tacomagic »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 10:57:41 am »

Yeah, that's an issue that a lot of player don't realize: setting up linkages is a real pain in the ass and I usually only do it for specific stockpiles.
Pages: [1] 2