Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windward (early access) - Pirate RPG/Action/Strategy  (Read 3817 times)

bQt31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Windward (early access) - Pirate RPG/Action/Strategy
« on: November 11, 2014, 01:36:42 pm »

I'm surprised no one has made a thread about this early access game. Basically there are 4 non-historical (but easily moddable if you wish) factions; each one has its own philosophy (war/trade/exploration/quests). You start off by generating a random world made of 'sectors'. Each factions start with a few core sectors and the rest is occupied by pirates. You pick a faction (granting bonuses on what they focus and a discount on their favorite ship) then start your journey with a small boat.

Steam description :

Windward is an action-adventure RPG where you control a ship set in a large randomly generated world full of procedural content that will give you a different experience every time you start a new campaign.
   Designed from the start to be a fully procedural co-op game, you can play it by yourself or invite friends to play with you. Start by generating a procedural world that will be unique to you, then sail forward fighting pirates, trading with towns, doing quests or simply exploring -- it's up to you how you want to play.

Nice features:
  • Random loot system (cannons, hull, sail, cannon balls, captain, crew,...) and the usual but great different item qualities
  • Skill tree with passive and (fun) active skills (incendiary bomb, ice bomb that when launched in water creates fog,...)
  • Reputation system
  • Different climates
  • Multiplayer mode (I haven't tried it yet though as it is only direct connect for now)

Screenshots: (Warning : Big pictures)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Links:

Steam page
Changelog

Someone is hosting 2 multiplayer games on a dedicated server :
  • PVE : 70.117.81.114:5127
  • PVP : 70.117.81.114:6127
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 06:09:06 am by bQt31 »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Windward (early access) - Pirate RPG/Action/Strategy
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 04:07:12 pm »

Ohhhhh posting to watch, love pirate game, either space or boat!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 04:32:53 pm »

ptw

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 04:34:55 pm »

ptw

Linenoise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 04:35:48 pm »

Aaargh-ing to watch!

bQt31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 07:35:12 am »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 01:54:07 pm »

Is this to be purely ship based or will there be any land based actions?

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 03:58:20 pm »

Got my hopes up looking at this but tbh it doesn't look good. Seems like Sid Meier's Pirates but no boarding, I much prefer Corsairs! or Uncharted Waters

bQt31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 04:46:46 am »

Is this to be purely ship based or will there be any land based actions?

So far it's 100% 'ship based' and I'm pretty sure it will stay that way.

Got my hopes up looking at this but tbh it doesn't look good. Seems like Sid Meier's Pirates but no boarding, I much prefer Corsairs! or Uncharted Waters

I agree, boarding would be nice. I love the games you mentionned but this one is much more loot-oriented and sandboxy. I think the multiplayer will be very fun if there are enough players.

But what is really promising is that the dev seems to be very experienced and very active (just look at the todo-list). He's also receptive to users feedbacks. (I made him a few suggestions and 2 days later, some of them already are in the game!)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 04:53:25 am by bQt31 »

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 08:28:14 am »

But what is really promising is that the dev seems to be very experienced and very active (just look at the todo-list). He's also receptive to users feedbacks. (I made him a few suggestions and 2 days later, some of them already are in the game!)

The TODO list I can see says

TODO:
Squash bugs. If you find one, please post on the forum with how to reproduce!
Known issue: Linux + Intel GPU = crappy looking water. Not much I can do here as it’s a fall back due to a Linux Intel driver and/or Unity bug.
Known issue: OSX + Steam Overlay don’t work well together. You get a military green screen instead. Turn off Steam Overlay to play the game.
Add rain that turns on fog of war and reduces FoW revealer range + attack range while active.
Add a way to rename towns… for a price. The bigger the town, the more it costs.

Potential:
Add a… flamethrower! Might be an interesting close-range ability, kind of like Volley. Probably best left for a high-end item-granted ability.
Items that give auras to nearby units: buffs, debuffs.
Random event: city and its nearby guard towers switch faction, forcing you to get it back. Player suggestion of “rogue governor”.
Ability to drop stationary explosives (mines) in combat.
Demo? There have been warnings about doing demos from other indie devs…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QM6LoaqEnY

Not exactly looking more exciting for me. I really would like something like an updated Uncharted Waters, the UW:Online doesn't seem that good.

Also the video linked about demos I actually despise mainly for the way it's picking it's outcomes. If someone is interested in a game then a demo might not make a lot of difference, however if someone isn't interested in a game then a demo can be amazing. I'm not much of a racing fan but playing the demo of Forza made me buy the game (although tbh I don't play it enough to say it was really worth it, but definite sale for developer due to demo), UFC Undisputed not only made me buy the game but made me interested in UFC as well.

That being said I can see why demos might not be a great choice for developers but for consumers it's much better as it's very hard to refund a new game if you don't like it so lack of demo might make people more wary if they want to shell out for a game they may not be sure they will like.

bQt31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 07:59:40 am »

I meant the changelog :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

About demos, well... I agree with you, the video is all about sales, not consumer happiness. However I remember when I was younger playing a lot of demos and not even thinking about buying the game because I had enough fun playing this way or I realized I just didn't like the game.