Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Text problem (dots)  (Read 5349 times)

Larzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Text problem (dots)
« on: November 11, 2014, 02:21:52 pm »

Hello guys. I start trying to play Dwarf Fortress right now with help from youtube tutorials and book "Getting Started With Dwarf Fortress". I use latest Lazy Newb Pack Dwarf Fortress 40_15 Starter Pack r2
I have strange squares and stuff instead of . (dot)  , (comma) and other symbols - guys on youtube dont have these. Take a look

Any idea how to fix this ?  Thanks for any response.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
Re: Text problem (dots)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 02:28:50 pm »

Can you send a screenshot?

Larzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 02:36:23 pm »

I have posted 2 screenshot ... strange you cant see them.
Try this links

http://s7.postimg.org/55k7cf5i2/Bez_n_zvu.jpg

http://s2.postimg.org/w4ykxytoo/Bez_n_zvu2.jpg

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 02:39:43 pm »

Ohhh, I forget what does that, it's not really a problem, but I will ask what resolution your screen is and share a bit of info. Wait, I think it's because the tileset you have for the LNP has the graphics for the ground, which df uses period and comma and I think the apostrophe for.

If your screen is 1920x1080 then at the default zoom you should use a larger font than the 12x12 or 16x16 versions, I'm on a 21 inch monitor and anything below 24x24 just bugs me these days. It'll help a lot due to things being more crisp and making better use of the screen space available.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Tileset_repository

I think there is an option to just update the LNP stuff after you drop the tileset or graphics into the right folders, but if you're already learning the game I'd check out the utilities/3rd party applications forum and check out twbt. It lets you tell the game to use one tileset for the map/graphics, and one tileset for text, plus neat stuff like being able to see multiple levels at the same time (so you could dig out a big three story cathedral type dining room and observe the whole room from the roof with the floor being visible still) and it isn't too difficult to get a hang of.

Basically all you need to graduate from using the LNP to your own mix is to keep the general folder structures in mind. Should always have a main df folder with at a minimum data, libs, and raw. You put a hack folder in there for dfhack, with the df and dfhack script or .exe (for linux or windows, I am not sure with mac), you put stuff like the phoebus or mayday graphics set in raw by just replacing the graphics folder there with it.

You add tilesets to the art folder inside of data, change init.txt accordingly.

For twbt you set init.txt so the text tileset is under graphics font, and your graphics tileset is under graphics full font.

You already made the first big step: you came here and asked a question, don't worry about the vivid nightmares pushing you towards the brink of insanity, it's normal... enough.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:49:57 pm by Max™ »

Larzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 02:44:15 pm »

Ohhh, I forget what does that, it's not really a problem, but I will ask what resolution your screen is and share a bit of info.

If your screen is 1920x1080 then at the default zoom you should use a larger font than the 12x12 or 16x16 versions, I'm on a 21 inch monitor and anything below 24x24 just bugs me these days. It'll help a lot due to things being more crisp and making better use of the screen space available.

I have 24" monitor and 1920x1080 resolution.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:53:57 pm by Larzo »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 02:52:01 pm »

Just edited my post.

As I said there, in the lnp folder will be a df folder with data, libs, and raw at a minimum, and in data will be the art, init, save, and so forth folders.

You can actually get a playable minimum game just copying the df folder itself somewhere, but it won't include the lnp launcher.

The launcher is a handy way of changing the stuff in that init folder, for the record.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 02:53:44 pm »

You can open the launcher and select what texture to use (under graphics) if the period thing really bothers you. I generally ignore the punctuation weirdness and just go to the game...

The reason it's showing up in the menus and things is because the game's coded to use the textures for the game in the in game instructions and main menu... which you can imagine would make some weird things show up if you changed the default mountains (n) and animal symbols into something else...

Larzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 03:05:57 pm »

You can open the launcher and select what texture to use (under graphics) if the period thing really bothers you. I generally ignore the punctuation weirdness and just go to the game...

The reason it's showing up in the menus and things is because the game's coded to use the textures for the game in the in game instructions and main menu... which you can imagine would make some weird things show up if you changed the default mountains (n) and animal symbols into something else...

I followed this youtube guide becouse its new https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxAXxDBDw10
I did everything like guy in the video (ironhand Graphics) but he does not have strage dots and i do.... :(
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:08:36 pm by Larzo »

red_kangaroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My friends are all dead,
My right foot gone, but what a
Lovely waterfall.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 03:11:15 pm »

I followed this youtube guide becouse its new https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxAXxDBDw10
I did everything like guy in the video but he does not have strage dots and i do.... :(
It looks like he's using the default ascii (DF default, not the pack default; I don't know all the textures offhand, but it looks like ascii), the launcher is on phoebus by default, which looks much different. He just sort of glossed over it when he said "you might want to change graphics and utilities" but it really isn't important for gameplay

Larzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 03:18:44 pm »

I did everything like guy in the video but he does not have strage dots and i do.... :(
It looks like he's using the default ascii (DF default, not the pack default; I don't know all the textures offhand, but it looks like ascii), the launcher is on phoebus by default, which looks much different. He just sort of glossed over it when he said "you might want to change graphics and utilities" but it really isn't important for gameplay

I see i that video he had "Currently Installed Graphics: ironhand16" and he is not playing in ASCII in next part of tutorial. Something is wrong on my side.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:23:07 pm by Larzo »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 03:38:40 pm »

Yeah, I'd play around with the different tilesets some, and reading the wiki is helpful, but one thing to keep in mind is the following:

Tileset: these are in the data/art folder and have pink or transparent backgrounds, the game selects certain symbols off of a tileset by default for different things, but as long as your tileset has the same layout as the default ascii you can just drop them in and put the corresponding line in data/init/init.txt for font and/or graphics_font. These still work if [GRAPHICS:NO] is set in init.txt, by the way.

Graphics set: these are generally composed of a tileset or group of tilesets placed into data/art, and additional resources placed in raw/graphics. Phoebus, Mayday, Ironhand, these are graphics sets. They include tileset parts, but they also do things that involve changing which tile is used for different things in game, and these are usually done with a file in data/init called overrides.txt these days. Sometimes you have to change the whole raw folder, and more involved mods of the game like masterwork or even just accelerated/modest mod do that route.

The LNP interface is a way combining all of those varied folders and stuff so you can just click "use this graphics and no aquifers please", but it's nice when you understand what is happening if things break or just confuse you.

Larzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 04:00:54 pm »

When i use ASCII Default graphics the font is okay but all other graphics packs have glitch with dot and comma. I need to combine ASCII non glitch font and Ironhand/Phoebus graphics together.

My first few hours with game and i dont even created a world ...

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 04:03:47 pm »

My first few hours with game and i dont even created a world ...
Just stop playing with the texture packs and play the game already, it really doesn't matter in terms of gameplay

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 04:06:18 pm »

Yeah, get used to how it works and then fiddle with the way you want things to look, the dots aren't actually a glitch, it's just a quirk of that graphics set where they decided to use a tile that makes more sense for ground than for punctuation.
Pages: [1] 2