Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who would've you voted for during the Ukrainian presidental elections?

Petro Poroshenko
- 5 (29.4%)
Yulia Tymoshenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Oleg Lyashko
- 2 (11.8%)
Anatoly Hrytsenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Serhiy Tihipko
- 0 (0%)
Mykhailo Dobkin
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 62

Author Topic: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Love your Country  (Read 69687 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Do not Tempt the Toad.
« Reply #465 on: November 24, 2014, 08:59:02 am »

I have to disagree with you here, UR. Ukrainian government's control of mass media is rather tight. Besides, the woman in the video is hardly the only example of a civilian who dislikes Ukrainian army's behaviour.
Not a single bastard was fined, fired or imprisoned for spreading enemy propaganda, disclosing military secrets and causing panic.  That is unacceptable during wartime. OSCE, UN and other pathetic, useless organizations can say whatever they want, but Ukraine needs war censorship. Censorship we don't have

And yes, I know that there are collaborators, traitors, and simply misguided persons among civilians
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 24, 2014, 09:04:47 am »

Way to go with fake interviews, Russia-1: http://euromaidanpress.com/2014/11/24/russian-tv-borrows-diplomats-name-to-discuss-horrors-of-euromaidan/

Sorry about the EuromaidanPR, but it was the only place where I could find that news in English.
State channels everywhere lie shamelessly. In Russia I think nobody takes them even remotely seriously, with the possible exception of Russia Today, the propaganda stance of which is mostly digging up truthful dirt on the west, as told earlier by Sheb.

I have to disagree with you here, UR. Ukrainian government's control of mass media is rather tight. Besides, the woman in the video is hardly the only example of a civilian who dislikes Ukrainian army's behaviour.
Not a single bastard was fined, fired or imprisoned for spreading enemy propaganda, disclosing military secrets and causing panic.  That is unacceptable during wartime. OSCE, UN and other pathetic, useless organizations can say whatever they want, but Ukraine needs war censorship. Censorship we don't have

And yes, I know that there are collaborators, traitors, and simply misguided persons among civilians
Sweetie, if you say that Ukraine needs to go full Stalin on everyone who doesn't agree with it, you should also not complain when Russia does the same as well. And there's plenty of censorship in Ukraine, look at all the reporters you threw out.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:08:59 am by Knit tie »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 24, 2014, 09:08:28 am »

I guess the news programs have started listening to the haters of reality tv.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 24, 2014, 09:10:48 am »

I guess the news programs have started listening to the haters of reality tv.
Speaking of reality TV, there is one program right now in Britain where a bunch of overpriviledged celebrities are put in mildly uncomfortable conditions in the jungle. It's hilarious. /unrelated

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 24, 2014, 09:12:06 am »

State channels everywhere lie shamelessly.

Thats a pretty bold generalization...

BTW, Mariupol was discussed a while back. What do you people think are the chances that the Russo-Separatist operation to take over Mariupol was canceled or half-hearted at best at least partially because the city was basically swarming of media personnel the Ukrainians couldn't keep away or did not seriously even try to, and there would have been live broadcasts of the battles?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 24, 2014, 09:19:11 am »

Not that big, since Ukrainian media has been pretty active all over the front in the end of August. There were people who were finding stuff like med-kits with instructions in Russian language and so on.

Live broadcasts are also very unintelligible in modern battles, especially in Ukraine, where both sides use pretty much the same vehicles.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 24, 2014, 09:20:54 am »

State channels everywhere lie shamelessly.

Thats a pretty bold generalization...

BTW, Mariupol was discussed a while back. What do you people think are the chances that the Russo-Separatist operation to take over Mariupol was canceled or half-hearted at best at least partially because the city was basically swarming of media personnel the Ukrainians couldn't keep away or did not seriously even try to, and there would have been live broadcasts of the battles?
I agree with colonel Cassad here, the order not to take Mariupol came from up high due to some political reasons and was another example of how the separatist high command is being actively detrimental their war effort. None of the sides fears videos of their forces in action, there's plenty of them circulating on the internet right now.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 24, 2014, 09:27:37 am »

Sweetie, if you say that Ukraine needs to go full Stalin on everyone who doesn't agree with it, you should also not complain when Russia does the same as well. And there's plenty of censorship in Ukraine, look at all the reporters you threw out.
There are shades between liberal anarchy and Stalin.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 24, 2014, 09:31:10 am »

Not that big, since Ukrainian media has been pretty active all over the front in the end of August. There were people who were finding stuff like med-kits with instructions in Russian language and so on.

Live broadcasts are also very unintelligible in modern battles, especially in Ukraine, where both sides use pretty much the same vehicles.

I've never said that I consider the Ukrainian media much if any more reliable than the Russian one. Despite Ukraine having a lot more to lose and is the weaker and the violated side of the conflict, I dont have to sympathize its propaganda and condemn the other side's. Ukraine still isnt a Western democracy and there has been a lot that EuromaidanPR and others have left untold.

I also wasnt thinking about which vehicles or weapons would be seen, but rather the actual brutality of, especially urban, combat. With civilians still around. Ukraine would have been seen purely as the defender(unlike before when they were attacking and clearly did not have the situation in control, even shelling their own units and bombarding urban areas) at Mariupol, which may have been considered to potential spur a lot of sympathy abroad.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 24, 2014, 09:46:01 am »

Things like "popular opinions" and "sympathy" has very little bearing on modern geopolitics. It's probably the threat of freezing foreign assets that did it.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 24, 2014, 09:49:46 am »

The "popular opinions" and "sympathy" were big reasons in why the assets were frozen.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 24, 2014, 10:06:29 am »

Popular opinions and sympathy are things that can be directed where it needs to be directed by people in charge of the media channels.

Like, for instance, with USA's invasion of Iraq, or with NATO's invasion of Libya.

Libya is still in civil war, but because there's no longer a convenient dictator-figure to hate, the public eye is completely blind to it.
._.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:14:25 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 24, 2014, 10:11:16 am »

NATO's invasion of Libya

Lol
Well it was more of intervention, okay. Still doesn't change the fact that the country is now much worse than it was before, with no good end in sight.
._.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 24, 2014, 10:14:45 am »

NATO's invasion of Libya

Lol
Well it was more of intervention, okay. Still doesn't change the fact that the country is now much worse than it was before, with no good end in sight.

Good thing Russia stopped the resolution then
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 62