Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Designing a fort for creation of specific artifacts  (Read 2032 times)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Designing a fort for creation of specific artifacts
« on: November 11, 2014, 11:38:37 pm »

Are there any specific design and/or management techniques to build and run a fort with the sole purpose of creating a specific artifact? For example, I want to deck out an adventurer in artifact steel or candy armor with a platinum warhammer (and possibly an artifact shield to boot.) I know one can groom farmer, hunters, etc. to go into metalsmith moods, and I have a reasonable understanding of how to micromanage a moody dwarf to ensure the correct materials, but are there any other strategies I could use? E.g. atomsmashing those absolutely USELESS children so they don't go into craftsdwarf moods?
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
Re: Designing a fort for creation of specific artifacts
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 12:28:08 am »

Have a dabbling only forge and set orders to mass produce armor and weapons. This will make everyone on the fort have at least level 1 skill at weapon/armor smithing. When a mood comes there is a high chance it will hit one of these dwarves resulting on an artifact weapon/armor piece.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 02:25:45 am »

Set a lower population cap, prevent children in this way, and make sure everyone gets a bit of weapon/armor smithing as klefenz said. Make sure you keep a stock of certain materials forbidden and set up a burrow so a dorf that claims a forge has to wait for you to give access to the materials you desire before they can even begin collecting stuff. I like to nickname them whatever useful item preferences they have, which is how I've ended up with a Queen Gauntlets and a Baron Hammers.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 04:09:05 am »

I like to nickname them whatever useful item preferences they have, which is how I've ended up with a Queen Gauntlets and a Baron Hammers.

That is really really goddamn clever.

I usually check the interests of my starter seven and record somewhere the best one for a barony later, with the best interests for mandates, for example. This doesn't always work out... But just the idea of "Battleaxe has withdrawn from society" makes me feel positive about the world...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!