Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone have off-duty military dorfs just kinda wander around randomly?  (Read 2839 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

I mean really randomly, like exceptionally odd behavior.

I had a miner who didn't seem to be particularly unhappy, though he was disgusted by various goblin deaths in recent memory, he had lots of happy stuff in his thoughts as well.

He's got a royal bedroom, nice office and dining room as well.

So imagine my surprise when I see him on top of the chambers where the magma pumpstack dumps into the area around the fort... only to have said surprise enhanced when he decided to climb down through the fortification and take a nap in there...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm not sure if he'd be able to climb back out, but I used the gm-editor to change his position outside of there once... this was actually before he climbed back in to take a nap, now that I think about it... So I moved him over to the farms this time, when he woke up he wandered outside, roamed along the fortifications lining the above ground magma reservoir, then came back and started clambering around the fortifications around the military training area/main entrance:
I don't even know how he got up there, I'm pretty sure he was down here on the ground underneath them originally:

So he clambers around the outside edge and heads over towards the entrance, I figured he was done with his "let's play jungle gym around the magma" fun...
That's a block wall he had to climb to get up there.

Then he must have noticed the nooks where I autodump the elf diplomat corpses and decided to go sit on one?

Again, clambering around on the outside of fortifications, shimmying up block walls, the area which the magma pumps dump into is smoothed natural stone as well.

Then I lost track of him and while looking found this guy who was annoyed at sleeping on the grass recently:

I watched other dorfs go over there to grab stuff, right past him, and head back, so I know he can path back to the fort and his royal bedroom... he just choose not to?

Oh, I think I found mr. spider-man... wait, does he have a kindred spirit here?
What the hell?

They aren't talking, aren't getting closer to each other, aren't on patrol duty, aren't gathering items, have no job listed, aren't showing up as being stressed or crazy or anything, they're just off-duty military dorfs deciding to go climb sheer walls for no reason and hang out up in the north end of the map?

Oh, I didn't get a screenshot of it, but I watched mr. spider-man climb down into the fort through what should be a wagon-only ramp access route, so that's no longer a valid defense strategy apparently.

Yes, he is a legendary climber, but I've never even seen a cat do this stuff besides the wandering around while hanging off of block walls.

The only thing I can think of is that I had recently flooded the map with magma and this all started happening about a month or so after it finally dried up enough to let the dorfs have free reign of the map again.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 01:43:02 am by Max™ »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have off-duty military dorfs just kinda wander around randomly?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 05:01:45 am »

Do you have temperature on or off? Odd stuff happens when TEMPERATURE:OFF meets magma.

Do you have a fort-wide meeting hall/meeting zone all dwarfs can go to? Hanging around in random locations usually only happens when you have no meeting place.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 05:12:45 am »

In  DF2010, my off-duty military dwarves used to wander around for no reason. Often on places where they were called on duty previously, if not called to fight. I assumed they went on old battlefields to do some introspection/meditating/nostalgia/spitting on the goblin corpses/posing on mountains of skulls or whatever.

This + DF2014 climbing = parkour full plate dwarves.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 07:15:58 am »

Temperature has been on the full time, and there is a vomit covered meeting hall where most of the off-duty military hang out, just three roaming around the north part of the map, and the one occasionally performing amazing feats of agility.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 12:04:02 pm »

In  DF2010, my off-duty military dwarves used to wander around for no reason. Often on places where they were called on duty previously, if not called to fight. I assumed they went on old battlefields to do some introspection/meditating/nostalgia/spitting on the goblin corpses/posing on mountains of skulls or whatever.

This + DF2014 climbing = parkour full plate dwarves.
I think you're right. Also, can I have sigging permission for "parkour full plate dwarves"?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.