Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What are YOU modding?  (Read 3790 times)

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
What are YOU modding?
« on: November 12, 2014, 10:18:58 pm »

I saw things like this for the other threads, and decided to start one here. Also, the DF community is a convoluted bunch that talk about slaughtering kittens and the best way to dimantle elves in VANILLA. Imagine what sorts of creepy creatures/everyotherdamnpossiblething people have created!
P.S. I've noticed a strange lack of people asking about plant modding.
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: What are YOU modding?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 10:40:16 pm »

I'm currently working on putting the finishing touches on my angelic civilization. Can't seem to get the wings to have a thickness, oddly. I don't know what I did wrong. Can someone help?

Here's the raws. The castes are at the bottom.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 10:42:49 pm by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 10:45:09 pm »

Wish I could help, I'm not good at that sort of thing.
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 12:06:05 am »

You defined the wings after you defined the tissues, so the wings don't have tissues. Just put the tissue-related BDPs later in the file, after 2WINGS is defined.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 12:11:34 am »

Wait, nevermind. That didn't fix it. Still passing right through. In fact, the entire body has no tissue thickness....

Here's the raws again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 12:23:42 am by StagnantSoul »
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 12:17:24 am »

I've just started working on a mod to add a bunch of new playable races (in fort and adventure mode) with differing tech trees each to the base game.

Right now, I'm working on simultaneously creating/brainstorming the bat men civilization and figuring out how to use dfhack so I can have enchanted items and whatnot. It's slow going, I don't know the first thing about lua and if there's documentation on dfhack I'm too stupid to find it.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 12:19:08 am »

Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 12:46:54 am »

Nah, don't, I'd say a very large chunk of programming/modding skill is knowing where to find documentation (as opposed to memorizing how to do stuff). Once you get the hang of it, you're... better than average already, from some horror stories I've heard :P

jax3639

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_BARE_HANDS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 06:06:22 am »

I'm trying to make a mod that just adds monsters (and maybe one or two hostile civs) to the game
most with special attacks
and most will have several castes

the only problem is my ambition
it's like a lighting bolt
powerful, awe-inspiring, a bit terrifying, and gone in a flash
The bag weighs twice my dwarf right now, containing nothin but guts, vomit, and a dead kobold.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 09:48:19 am »

I'm aiming to make something of a mix of stone and early bronze age with some dinosaurs mod, with a bit of inspiration from kobold camp. Right now my main issues will be figuring out how to make a civ use stone weapons and if it's possible as well as getting my hands on some Since the races are essentially different human cultures, goblins, and elves setting up the entities and creatures isn't any problem. After I figure some things out, I'll have to look into learning how to make workshops and brush up on reactions.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 09:56:10 am »

I tried working on a stone-using civ as well. I ended up with a workshop converting certain stones to bars while using wood as a fuel, then a craftdwarf job, with the stone bars counted as an alloy, and only that civ got to use that "alloy". It took a lot of typing. If you can find an easier way, please tell me.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 10:13:55 am »

Working on a gray goo mod, as per the request of a friend.
I do stuff, I guess

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 10:33:10 am »

I tried working on a stone-using civ as well. I ended up with a workshop converting certain stones to bars while using wood as a fuel, then a craftdwarf job, with the stone bars counted as an alloy, and only that civ got to use that "alloy". It took a lot of typing. If you can find an easier way, please tell me.

I know there's a way. I've seen criminals packing stone and gem weapons in masterwork (rather bizarrely made from bituminous coal and some kind of opal.)

Plus you can use custom reactions to make stone weapons take the stone material. Isn't great, but it's a cheap means to make sure everyone's armed. What I'm hoping to do is mod in flint and make both it and chert a ubiquitous stone and the hunters specifically only have access to stone for making weapons. The rest I'm willing to bite the bullet on them coming with only metal weapons, though your work around sounds like it'd be an effective way to make nonplayer invader civs have a pseudo-stone for thier weaponry.

My personal route's going to be having most only have access to their low-use breakable shovels unless they want to buy an expensive copper, bronze, or iron pick from the militants, and use a "dirt sifter" shop to procure flint, obsidian, and chert, copper and tin ores, and gems for the most part, with the first three being the basis of most militias.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 12:21:15 pm »

My D&D mod, adding all kinds of playable races and junk. Check out my sig, if you want to see more.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"
Pages: [1] 2 3