Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Restricted equipment in fatally hot locales  (Read 3121 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Restricted equipment in fatally hot locales
« on: July 04, 2014, 06:49:41 am »

Just noticed in a super-scorching embark:

In very hot biomes, dwarfs will not wear the full set of clothing on embark. The cutoffs are probably linked to specific temperatures, since more clothes seem to be missing as embark temperature rises.

In a scorching but not immediately murderous biome, dwarfs wore no cloaks, hoods or mittens - i.e. the "cover" clothing parts.
In biomes hot enough to be immediately life-threatening, the embark party will only wear a cap and shoes, i.e. no trousers and no upper body covering, meaning they'd be in serious danger of a tantrum meltdown even if you got them to survive the first four months. This may well be the absolute minimum clothing.

Even in an unplayably hot biome (hot enough to damage organic materials, preventing them from moving or acting altogether), the dwarfs will still spawn wearing a cap and shoes.

The heat limits only seem to apply to starting clothes - dwarfs in a "no hoods, no cloaks, no mittens" biome will still acquire and wear those items if provided later, they just don't bring them on embark (and probably migration). The same restrictions appear to hold for merchants - human caravan in the depot, and none wear cloaks, hoods or mittens.

Would this fit into the embark article somewhere?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 06:54:26 am by Larix »

tercicatrix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Restricted equipment in fatally hot locales
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 09:05:30 pm »

This information is so niche, I can't imagine how to fit it into the Embark page in a reader-friendly way. Your research is impressive though. Maybe it'd be best to create a side article 'Dwarven Clothing Preferences' and note your findings there?

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Restricted equipment in fatally hot locales
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 09:53:37 am »

What about this page?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Climate

It's linked in the embark article; I think it's a good choice.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0