Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: No World of Warcraft Thread? World of Warcraft Thread!  (Read 11939 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: No World of Warcraft Thread? World of Warcraft Thread!
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2014, 08:53:18 pm »

Yeah, that's what "stopped playing" means.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2014, 09:38:22 pm »

am i the only one thinking that insta raising everyone and their mom to lvl 90 inorder for them to play together is a retarded concept?
fuck our old content here's a lvl 90 char buy our expansion

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2014, 09:43:31 pm »

Chances are, if anybody cared about the old content, they would have already bought it in the two-three years it's been out already.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2014, 09:57:14 pm »

For anyone who plays/has played Everquest; how relevant is the older content in that game? How did they keep it relevant with the release of new expansions or how did they not?

As for me, I've played "World of Warcraft" though never beyond solo play. I enjoy exploring the world, following the quest lines and seeing how the art design has improved since the release. Last time I played was early 2012 I think, sometime after "Mists of Panderia" came out. I've never done raids, nor any coordinated PvP but the dungeon group finder really cut down on the time it took to level my character to level 80.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2014, 10:00:53 pm »

am i the only one thinking that insta raising everyone and their mom to lvl 90 inorder for them to play together is a retarded concept?

I felt that way when death knights first came out and they started at level 55. Remember, they were supposed to be the "first hero class." Implying that there would be more. But there was such an outcry over it that there hasn't been another one.

Now? Meh. Just another money grab. I'm not sure it matters. People who've played, and already leveled half a dozen character to max, maybe just want a chracter ona new server without transferring one away from a server they still play on, for those people it's just a convenience thing. For people who are new to the game, starting them out of at max...that's probably a huge mistake in the sense that by not leveling the character they're going to have difficult time ever being very good with them. It's always obvious when somebody is playing a recently leveled alt. Imagine playing with somebody who didn't even level the alt.

But I guess if you have friends playing together, just doing casual dungeon running and exploring and things *shrug*. I've made new character to level with people. "You're just starting? Well, I don't have a priest yet, sure I'll play to 85 with you." And those experiences have generally been a lot of fun. Teaching someone the game, reliving all the super fun exciting things you did the first time...making sure they don't miss the fishing quest chain with the sea monster, making sure they get do the sunken temple class quests, running through Orgimaar as Alliance to get to Ragefire Chasm rather than queueing for it...fun stuff that a  new player would miss out on if they leveled on their own.

But if you've already done that, leveled friends until you've run out of character slots, and don't want to delete anyone...I can see how starting a friend at level cap is better than having them not play at all because they're not going to play solo for months until they catch up.

So, at one time, sure I'd have said it was ridiculous. Now, not so much. It is what it is. WoW is an old game now. Allowances like this can be made.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2014, 10:04:10 pm »

I don't really see a problem with it, personally. It can help people who are really tired of leveling skip straight to the meat that they've been to time and time again with different characters. It lets people who don't have much time experience the end game content, which is the best part of WoW. Like you said, it lets friends/family catch up to your character. ...though if you're getting people to get a boost so they can play with you, that's kinda silly. It's a lot of fun to level with people. (I imagine)

I can see why people don't like it, but it doesn't affect you much. So what if people are getting instant level 90s? There's still a ton of people leveling, so you can still queue for low level dungeons.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2014, 10:05:08 pm »

I've never done raids, nor any coordinated PvP but the dungeon group finder
really cut down on the time it took to level my character to level 80.

You really miss out on a lot of the game playing like that though. "The game starts at level cap" only applies to experienced players. There's a lot of world out there, a lot of lore, a lot of cute fun quests and reward pets and mounts and obscure factions reps that you'll never see leveling in dungeons.

Personally, when pugs were first introduced I thought it was a bad idea. I still kind of do. I miss grouping up and using summoning stones and things. Jumping into the lava to swim your way to Molten Core. Attunement quests for raids. All of that was part of the experience. Now, it's formulaic. It detracts from the game.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2014, 10:19:11 pm »

One of the most fun ways I've leveled a character was to solo dungeons and group quests (and teremus the devourer, that was a particularly fun fight) when I was still at a level where I could get xp off the mobs/quests. It was a fun challenge since I had to both be able to heal the incoming damage while dishing out damage. I also did quite a bit of Alterac Valley PvP on the character which was also fun (I find that folks actually battle in AV at sub-cap level brackets, like 50-69).

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2014, 10:28:25 pm »

You really miss out on a lot of the game playing like that though. "The game starts at level cap" only applies to experienced players. There's a lot of world out there, a lot of lore, a lot of cute fun quests and reward pets and mounts and obscure factions reps that you'll never see leveling in dungeons.

Personally, when pugs were first introduced I thought it was a bad idea. I still kind of do. I miss grouping up and using summoning stones and things. Jumping into the lava to swim your way to Molten Core. Attunement quests for raids. All of that was part of the experience. Now, it's formulaic. It detracts from the game.

Well, I didn't do dungeons exclusively. They were a welcome break while I was running back and forth between quest locations and givers. Plus it was a whole lot of content I hadn't seen before and the loot helped speed things up as well. Since my character is an Affliction Warlock, things could get difficult sometimes with too many opponents, even using fear and the like.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2014, 10:34:06 pm »

Well, I didn't do dungeons exclusively. They were a welcome break while I was running back and forth between quest locations and givers. Plus it was a whole lot of content I hadn't seen before and the loot helped speed things up as well. Since my character is an Affliction Warlock, things could get difficult sometimes with too many opponents, even using fear and the like.

Really? On my aff warlock I just dotted up everything in sight and let my voidwalker handle the aggro

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2014, 12:45:21 am »

Eh, I can do what I'm told in a group and tanked bosses in "Warhammer Online". On my own though I like to focus on a single enemy at a time.

I can't really elaborate because I'm getting my thoughts confused between pre-Cataclysm mechanics and post-Cataclysm mechanics which changed how my warlock played quite a bit.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2014, 01:59:02 am »

Ok, time to share some fun WoW stories.

I did a lot of pvp on my druid. Pre-cata, travel form was a very useful thing because it not only gave druids a speed boost that was off the global cooldown, it was also a free, unlimited snare-breaker. Wouldn't get you out of a stun, but it would get you out of entangling roots and mage freeze. So I'd macroed it to Z so that my thumb sat on it at all times back during Burning Crusade. As expansions came and went, and other classes got more speed abilities that eliminated the ability of druids to outrun everyone, and eventually the snare breaking effect of druid shapeshiftingwas removed, leading to nobody ever using it outside of pvp, and only rarely even there. But I'd always had it macroed to Z, and saw no reason to remove it.

So, one day during cata, healing for a 5-man pug and for whatever reason, I don't even remember which dungeon it was, but the tank got out my casting range, teleported or something maybe, and I was rooted by some effect and the tank was almost dead. So everyone was pretty much thinking "oh well, we're toast." Nope! Insta-poomf to travel form, super go fast kitty towards the tank, rejuv-swiftmend-rejuve, tank is over half, and I go right back to healing everyone like nothing happened.

Cue "WTF just happened??!! Since when can druids become cheetahs?" from dps.

----

Everyone remember that pass through the mountains leading to the ghostlands up near the blood elf starter zone? The one that gives a load screen, even though pretty much nowhere else on the entire continent has one? It didn't exist pre-wrath (EdIt: Quel'Danas.) The one that was eventually converted to a 5-man. That one.) Anyway, that used to be just the edge of the zone, it was all blocked off by mountains, and since this was before you could fly in wold world, there was no way to get past the mountain.

But, if you instead of going north, went east into the water, you could swim out around it. You know how if you swim out into the ocean you eventually get to places you're not supposed to go, you get fatigued and start dying? Well, druids have this cool thing we could do, where we'd shift to swim form for the speed boost, and then use hots to self heal then shift back and keep swimming. The fatigue effect wasn't a hardcoded death or anything. It just dealt damage that scaled with time, but a well geared druid could just keep healing themselves through the effect for easily 10-15 minutes, and get to places players wren't meant to go. So, I decided to explore around that ridge, and then watched as it took me very obviously off the edge of the overview map in a way that was clearly not intended. Eventually it came out to dry land, and the "zone change" text came up showing me...I don't remember the name. ( This was years ago. But it was a zone that didn't exist as of the expansion that I was playing. Couple of destroyed elvish style buildings and shattered ruins. I took screenshots, then continued my way around, jumped back in the ocean and eventually came out near the Scarlet Monastery.

Posted screenshots to the forums with directions how to get there.

Thread quickly deleted, and a week later there was a patch. That whole are was blocked off by impenetrable, invisible walls.

Few months later Quel'Danas is added to the game. Though the area itself was totally different than the version I'd seen.

-----

Ok. Somebody else's turn.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2014, 02:25:11 am »

An interesting thing I found out was that north west of the Blood Elf capital, across the ocean was the location of Outland. I think I remember seeing a screenshot that someone took with the draw distance fog extended and you could just see the landmass edges. Might've been on the "Crafting Azeroth" thread for "World of Warcraft" landmass converted into "Minecraft".

Exploring around the map was something fun to do in "Warhammer Online" as well. I remember people saying they had TNT boxes in the beta so people could blast themselves back into the maps but with the game not being completely finished there were quite a few locations that you could go to that either abruptly ended or looked like they should hold more. West Praag was one.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2014, 02:35:54 am »

I used to play on private servers back in the day (never bothered with the real thing) and i can tell you those servers improved A LOT.

Back in the days of WoWEMU (some emulator) basically nothing worked.
Of all the stats only Stamina and Inteligence worked (as in they added HP and Mana but did nothing beyond that).
I'm not sure if armor worked but i think it did.
Everything was FUBAR back in the day when warlocks fear was unbreakable and had no diminishing returns paladins had some bugged seal that caused them to stun for 2 seconds with every hit... meaning that if they used a weapon with an attack speed faster than 2 you were permastunned.
And best of all? BOTH factions could enter instances at once and there was no limit how many players can get in at any time... and mobs did not get "tagged" so whoever got the last hit in got all the loot.

Basically it was a unplayable mess and i have no idea why it had so many players... but people played anyway with me among them.

Then came the times of MangOS... where most things still didn't work but with time believe me or not it became nearly the perfect emulation.
Sure there were kinks here and there but if you run a BC or WotLK mangos server you'd be hard pressed to find many differences... altho last time i played (a long time ago) vehicle combat was rather... kinky and most raids were unfinished (those were usually left for the admins to code in out of their own volition i guess).

So yeah i consider my time spent on privs as fun and saved me a fortune worth of subscription money.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2014, 05:35:34 am »

Everyone remember that pass through the mountains leading to the ghostlands up near the blood elf starter zone? The one that gives a load screen, even though pretty much nowhere else on the entire continent has one? It didn't exist pre-wrath (EdIt: Quel'Danas.) The one that was eventually converted to a 5-man. That one.) Anyway, that used to be just the edge of the zone, it was all blocked off by mountains, and since this was before you could fly in wold world, there was no way to get past the mountain.

But, if you instead of going north, went east into the water, you could swim out around it. You know how if you swim out into the ocean you eventually get to places you're not supposed to go, you get fatigued and start dying? Well, druids have this cool thing we could do, where we'd shift to swim form for the speed boost, and then use hots to self heal then shift back and keep swimming. The fatigue effect wasn't a hardcoded death or anything. It just dealt damage that scaled with time, but a well geared druid could just keep healing themselves through the effect for easily 10-15 minutes, and get to places players wren't meant to go. So, I decided to explore around that ridge, and then watched as it took me very obviously off the edge of the overview map in a way that was clearly not intended. Eventually it came out to dry land, and the "zone change" text came up showing me...I don't remember the name. ( This was years ago. But it was a zone that didn't exist as of the expansion that I was playing. Couple of destroyed elvish style buildings and shattered ruins. I took screenshots, then continued my way around, jumped back in the ocean and eventually came out near the Scarlet Monastery.

Posted screenshots to the forums with directions how to get there.

Thread quickly deleted, and a week later there was a patch. That whole are was blocked off by impenetrable, invisible walls.

Few months later Quel'Danas is added to the game. Though the area itself was totally different than the version I'd seen.

-----

Ok. Somebody else's turn.

I remember druids doing these crazy things. I think one managed to swim all the way to Teldrassil from Darkshore, beating the fatigue bar.
Though, you didn't necessarily need to be a druid to swim around the continent, so long as you stuck to the very edge of the shore. It just took so much longer. I've been on the north side of EK (same place you described), and the south side of Kalimdor. There was (still is?) a little Tauren village just on the very southern tip of Kalimdor, south of Silithus.

I engaged in other world exploration of my own back in the old days. I used the time honored technique of wall-jumping, back when it was possible.
I've been behind the wall in Silithus, back when that was the cool thing to do. :P
Also been in Hyjal, but that wasn't wallclimbing, just abusing the fact you could slip through the gate as a ghost. They fixed that one incredibly fast.
It was also pretty easy to exploit the mountains in the Barrens back then. You could use them as a ramp to get on the border mountains around the zone, and jump into the area behind the instance portal of RFK, and also follow the mountains around and get to otherwise inaccessible areas bordering Mulgore, Feralas, Desolace, and Thousand Needles.
The area of RFK also had holes in the world that you could jump right into. You fall for a very long time with the velocity you had, until you finally get under the oceans and stop. If you swam upwards long enough, you'd eventually manage to phase through the seafloor, back into the world.
Also been outside the borders of the Zul'Gurub instance, visiting Kharazan. Also, escaped the Kharazan instance to visit Zul'Gurub! And also visited the non-instanced Zul'Gurub in the normal world. So basically, using Zul'Gurub in three different ways. :P

I've also been on top of (and underneath) Orgrimmar a few times, and also on top of Silvermoon.

If you name it, I've probably been there at least once or twice.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7