Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: No World of Warcraft Thread? World of Warcraft Thread!  (Read 11947 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: No World of Warcraft Thread? World of Warcraft Thread!
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2014, 10:51:44 pm »

My main was a warlock. Had lots of fun soloing group quests by letting my felguard tank everything. I remember spending hours and hours on the old quest to get the Infernal summon, and spending hours and hours trying to get guildmates to help me with it.
Then a month after I got it the spell was nerfed into the ground and made available to everyone. The old quest chain was removed, and I was very sad. Kinda like the furbolg wand thing.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2015, 12:05:25 pm »

I haven't touched WoW since like 3 years, but who knows, I might start to play again in the future. Anyway, good news for the players!
World of Warcraft's WoW Token allows trading gold for game time.

AFAIK this token system will be added for the 6.2 patch, but not before.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2015, 12:31:10 pm »

That would have been amazing....like 4 years ago.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2015, 02:14:57 pm »

My main was a warlock. Had lots of fun soloing group quests by letting my felguard tank everything. I remember spending hours and hours on the old quest to get the Infernal summon, and spending hours and hours trying to get guildmates to help me with it.
Then a month after I got it the spell was nerfed into the ground and made available to everyone. The old quest chain was removed, and I was very sad. Kinda like the furbolg wand thing.

I did group quests with an imp, just keeping him fear-locked and burning him down with dots.  That doesn't work either anymore, most elites are immune to fear.

And yeah, everybody can do everything now.  My Warlock has a one-button macro that instantly heals him to full HP on like a two minute cooldown, along with fear, stuns, dots, burst, everything.  Every class can do everything now because teamwork is no longer required.  WoW is a single player game with multiple players.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2015, 02:19:35 pm »

Eh, that's just the trend. I remember when Epic Quests in Everquest took on the order of 30 people to complete so one person could get a good item. Compared to like....trying to get 25 people together for Kharazan, it was a nightmare. But it was a different time when most people were just sort of happy to play the game, instead of this ever present grind forward to the next tier of something.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2015, 04:21:17 pm »

And yet, still lots of grouping happening.

Forced socialization doesn't make for a good social experience. My 3 months I played EQ (cousin let me use his account, so he had high level stuff), I only had one person I was friends with that I liked...the others I just used so I could raid and get items. I was pretty much forced to raid with them, since they were pretty much "the raiders" during that time...but its been A REALLY long time, so I don't even remember anything else.

My main MMO at the time was Asheron's Call, it was a huge solo game. Yet, people regularly grouped and socialized. Same with Ultima Online, I could easily solo in UO...but I'd rather have grouped and people did group a lot. Others soloed, many did both.

Forced grouping is BS and does not make for a good social environment. Heck, I solo in nullsec EVE all the time and even solo PvP...yet a lot of people group in that game.

And just because I'm not grouping, I'm still socializing, trading, pvping and other stuff. And a lot of the times I DO group.

Good riddance to forced grouping. Using people to benefit only yourself, good riddance to that. Enough of that happens in real life with supposed "social circles" filled with fake friends who only actually want gifts (one of my aunts has a ton of friends, and literally she said she only has them so they get her gifts...she'd do perfect in a forced grouping MMO)

Anyway enough with that rant. On to another rant.

I tried Warlock to level 16 and got super pissed with it. I only really like demonology for warlock, and the demonic power blizzard gives you...if it passes over 800, it will SUPER fast drop to 200 for no reason. So its near impossible (if at all) to get 1000 demonic power, and also demon form doesn't last long at all. I just don't understand why it passed 800, and why blizzard would make an idiotic mechanic to erase it all (and demonic power is hard to get as it is) for no reason.

I made a priest, and shadow form lasts forever, is better than demon form and is better. And also, shadow priest feels like how warlocks used to be lol (not destro warlocks though, shadow priests are more like better versions of demonology/affliction warlocks).

I'm having WAY more fun with priest than I did when I tried them back in WoTLK...never tried them in cataclysm. But blizzard did a REALLY good job with priests. They flow amazingly (disc priest flows AMAZING), shadow priest is tons of fun and I'm always wanted in groups as a disc priest :P Haven't tried holy, but disc priest does good in both pvp (it is the pvp spec)...but I do good in dungeons and what not keeping people alive as disc priest (its different). Blizzard priest developer did great with them.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2015, 04:35:46 pm »

I guess I take a totally different approach to it. Any game can make fuck off easy content that you can mindlessly farm for self-gratification, or invite someone along so you're not lonely. Making group content that actually works is much tougher.

I also started in EQ playing solo and in a game that unforgiving, people actually made all the difference. Places that were too dangerous to go alone could suddenly be seen, mobs too scary to fight could suddenly be challenged. This was a game that also made sure even things too low level to be worth XP were still a threat.

I liked content that said "It's too much for one person to handle." It took the game of standing there mashing the same buttons for hundreds of hours on end to a new level, by adding a new vector: people. I'm not a socializer in MMOs. I prefer my peace and quiet. But stuff like this really motivated me to meet people, work with people, win with people. After raiding going back to le casual solo/optional group play just seemed boring. I could easily achieve the same level of enjoyment in a non-MMO game as I could in an MMO like WoW. Which is why I eventually quit, because I couldn't justify spending the money for a thing that wasn't any better than a SP game most of the time. To be fair, I ALWAYS felt that way about WoW. I only started playing it because of the presence of friends, and it's not until I started raiding that I didn't find the game comparatively a big joke of farmable grind.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2015, 06:07:31 pm »

Once you reach the level where you can join a guild, you'll be bombarded with guild invitations; cycle through a few until you find one that seems pretty lively. It's not that great for deep socialization, but it's alright for idle chatting about the game if you like that sort of thing.

Can WoW tokens be bought with gold on an account that has already become inactive, or have the rules not been decided to that level yet?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2015, 06:19:06 pm »

One of the other articles on that site mentioned that inactive accounts will be (already are? I didn't pay attention to the article's date) able to come back on under the free-play restrictions, which is... apparently no XP or gold gain past level 20 or 10 gold? No clue what that means for inactive accounts that actually had more gold than that -- presumably whatever the token cost is, is going to be higher than whatever limits are already placed on the free accounts.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2015, 06:21:22 pm »

One of the other articles on that site mentioned that inactive accounts will be (already are? I didn't pay attention to the article's date) able to come back on under the free-play restrictions, which is... apparently no XP or gold gain past level 20 or 10 gold? No clue what that means for inactive accounts that actually had more gold than that -- presumably whatever the token cost is, is going to be higher than whatever limits are already placed on the free accounts.

Couldn't find the article, but to me it would make sense if characters over the level/gold limit for free players would be locked in that situation, and you could create new characters which would then be "free" characters.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2015, 06:25:59 pm »

Here, if you want to read whatever that site had to say on it. I personally haven't exactly been keeping up on WoW related news (I've played the game something like ten minutes, total.), so no clue how trustworthy the source is, but hey, it's there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2015, 08:30:25 am »

Can WoW tokens be bought with gold on an account that has already become inactive, or have the rules not been decided to that level yet?

Well, I think that you will have to pay 1 month to activate the acc on bnet, and you can use gold to buy tokens after that. Logically it should work like that.
I am seriously thinking about going back to play again, once this system will be activated. I wouldn't spend 15$/monthly on an MMO ever again, but if it's free, why not? [Well free...maybe 1 token will cost tons of gold, and I never liked farming gold or resources..] However it really depends on the state of PvP, since I mostly PvPed in the game.
I suppose class balance is still screwed up like always, but oh well, I always had 2 classes at max level + fully geared for PvP.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:35:32 am by gimli »

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2015, 08:33:21 am »

It has been confirmed that you can purchase tokens with characters that have sufficient gold to due so, assuming you can log into the account.

So it's possible to renew an old subscription with attached not-starter-edition characters without paying first, if you had sufficient gold before your subscription ended.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2015, 08:38:13 am »

It has been confirmed that you can purchase tokens with characters that have sufficient gold to due so, assuming you can log into the account.

So it's possible to renew an old subscription with attached not-starter-edition characters without paying first, if you had sufficient gold before your subscription ended.

Nice! Even tho I am sure that I don't have too much gold on my acc, since I always used up what I had on repairs. The life of a PvPer was cruel.  :D :D

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2015, 10:36:38 am »

City of Heroes had a good approach to encouraging grouping without requiring it for most content (taskforces/trials required groups). Because missions took place in instances, the missions could scale in difficulty and number of enemies to accommodate both solo play and group play (and players could adjust difficulty). While one could enjoy the missions solo, groups got a bonus to experience gain and the increased number of enemies meant there was a greater chance of getting loot (the loot system randomly gave loot to a team member so there was no stopping to loot/ninja looting/loot master, ect), players generally killed enemies faster, and more enemies meant there was more influence (currency) to be had. As a result, while players could enjoy the game solo (and that's how many people played), most players chose to team up to maximize rewards and in doing so got an opportunity to mingle.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7