Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Next update  (Read 3419 times)

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
Next update
« on: May 19, 2020, 12:47:45 pm »

Are UI improvements and graphics the only things we can expect in the next update for Steam?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Next update
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 03:25:02 pm »

The only hitherto confirmed features, afaik. There has also been talk about a tutorial of some kind, steam workshop support, steam achievements and steam trading cards.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 04:32:24 pm »

In this interview Toady goes into detail about everything we can expect in Steam release. Tutorial and cleanup of some major bugs is also planned. But no major game features will be added probably. Although he does talk about possibly working on the labors system too (seems to be leaning more towards auto-labor kind of systems than spreadsheet management).

https://literate-gamer.zencast.website/episodes/172

(Literally the next update will be actually be a bug fix update, not Steam).

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 03:41:23 am »

In this interview Toady goes into detail about everything we can expect in Steam release. Tutorial and cleanup of some major bugs is also planned. But no major game features will be added probably. Although he does talk about possibly working on the labors system too (seems to be leaning more towards auto-labor kind of systems than spreadsheet management).

Lately, I have very much liked the labormanager dfhack plugin.  Making that kind of functionality part of the vanilla game would be very nice.  Unlike DT, which allows you to micromanage labors on a dwarf-by-dwarf basis, labormanager prioritizes tasks by a list of tweakable priorities, disabling and enabling skills to get tasks done in a timely fashion.

It's a bit quirky and sometimes appears to become confused by extreme events like a bunch of combat deaths, or excessive tasks in the job manager menu, but can usually be tweaked into behaving itself again.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 07:46:17 am »

Lately, I have very much liked the labormanager dfhack plugin.  Making that kind of functionality part of the vanilla game would be very nice.  Unlike DT, which allows you to micromanage labors on a dwarf-by-dwarf basis, labormanager prioritizes tasks by a list of tweakable priorities, disabling and enabling skills to get tasks done in a timely fashion.

It's a bit quirky and sometimes appears to become confused by extreme events like a bunch of combat deaths, or excessive tasks in the job manager menu, but can usually be tweaked into behaving itself again.
I don't use any of those auto labor assignment tools, but use DT. Can they handle that Urist McMentalBreakdown shouldn't haul corpses, Urist McPrecipiPhobia shouldn't be sent out onto the scary surface with its rain, sun, and nature, and Urist McBreakingDown should take breaks and single workshop therapy tasks only? Of course, if you can disable auto play functionality it won't harm the game play of those who don't want them.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 05:29:10 pm »

I don't use any of those auto labor assignment tools, but use DT. Can they handle that Urist McMentalBreakdown shouldn't haul corpses, Urist McPrecipiPhobia shouldn't be sent out onto the scary surface with its rain, sun, and nature, and Urist McBreakingDown should take breaks and single workshop therapy tasks only? Of course, if you can disable auto play functionality it won't harm the game play of those who don't want them.

It isn't great for those, so I turn it off for them.  Also those kinds of issue become more common with more citizens, so I usually turn it off and start using DT or other manual intervention when that starts happening.

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 03:54:47 am »

I actually have added at least some of these considerations into labormanager in recent updates, and would be glad to add others if they're brought to my attention.