Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181]

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 557319 times)

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2700 on: December 08, 2019, 12:26:46 am »

Quote from: squamous
2. My memory might be betraying me here but was it mentioned that caravans would spawn in the world now? Not to like actually serve as an economy yet but just travel between towns as a flavor thing. Could I rob them?

Shonai_Dweller: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8058135#msg8058135
EternalCaveDragon: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8058148#msg8058148
PlumpHelmetMan: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8058157#msg8058157
EternalCaveDragon: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8058162#msg8058162
Untrustedlife: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8058170#msg8058170
Shonai_Dweller: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8058175#msg8058175
2. No caravans for the next release.  I'm not sure what that might have been.

Here it is:

10/16/2018 Toady One As promised... a bit more toying around with villain-tangential world generation. With the Big Wait slowly approaching, there's a sense of wanting to put in place some interesting new broad dynamics, and that's causing this slight wander through feature land, I think, but we will get back to the villains-and-release before too much longer.

This time, we added traveling merchants and companies piggy-backing on the more abstract industry/trade sim that already exists, so you'll get a small window into that (which has been almost entirely invisible, but there, for years.) At their peak, the companies will form multiple trade outposts in other civs along the trade routes to facilitate more cross-civ link formation. Going to do the same thing with religion as well, so everything isn't just isolated market-site temples, but more connected setups, sometimes with a larger organization that can also facilitate link formation, across civs if I can manage it.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: December 08, 2019, 02:06:31 am »

They aren't caravans. Just visitors of the type "merchant" travelling according to the trade routes.

As robbable as anyone else in he game I expect.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2702 on: December 08, 2019, 03:08:41 pm »

Yeah, basically what is happening here is that the arc after the one that gave us the hospitals and caves and the current military system was going to be the 'caravan arc'. And during this period, the civs and site governments were given the abilities to set up trade routes and stuff, to the point that there is an actual trade sim. However, for one reason or the other completing the caravan arc proved to be too complicated (if I recall correctly the main problem is that there just isn't any mechanism to have the stuff you export from a fort to actually become part of the world proper), so development switched away from it.

You can already see some effects of it when you go to a market in adventure mode, the callers will yell where their products came from, and they're able to do that because of the existing sim. According to previous fotfs there are virtual caravans going around, but they aren't the ones you see in fort mode, which live in a separate world from the former. And now the trade companies are sitting on top of those virtual caravans, making friends in foreign lands while they're at it.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: December 13, 2019, 10:37:27 am »

1) To what extent will your dwarves interact with prisoners as of this coming release? Will it be possible for the dwarf carrying water to prisoners to become friends with them, try to release them, petition for their release, or be blackmailed by them?

2) What kind of value changes result from thoughts related to imprisonment? Can someone released early or who sees their blackmailer jailed start to value the law and stop being villainous?

3) You mentioned that in world generation you've seen family members completely lose trust in their villainous kin. Are there any interactions family and friends can have with villainous people that sways them from committing further villainy once their current intrigues are thwarted?

4) Can you pull up a gremlin on charges for their lever crimes and send out a squad of dwarves to non-lethally nab the little buggers in the caverns locally? Can you integrate said little buggers from jail instead of cages if you're simultaneously training them?

5) How strong is the influence of law values on decision making when it comes to schemes? How strong is the influence of the trust value on letting somebody convince you that actually laws are arbitrary and worth breaking with schemes?

BlevRuz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: December 13, 2019, 12:26:14 pm »

Are there any plans for civilisation/era-specific architecture?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2705 on: December 13, 2019, 01:37:17 pm »

Yes, it has been brought up several times, and there is even some of it already in the game(towns right now work in such a way so that if a human hamlet gets taken over by the elves and later the goblins, you get structures from all three civ-types in that town). From the last fotf there was comment from Toady that he was unsure when he would get into properly handling that type of stuff, at the very least the next section that needs to be done is the myth and magic map rewrite (because that should simplify multi-level stuff like the dwarf forts).

That said, this has always been about civ-specific structures, never about era specific, so I guess that part is still unknown :p
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

BlevRuz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: December 13, 2019, 01:48:05 pm »

Yes, it has been brought up several times, and there is even some of it already in the game(towns right now work in such a way so that if a human hamlet gets taken over by the elves and later the goblins, you get structures from all three civ-types in that town). From the last fotf there was comment from Toady that he was unsure when he would get into properly handling that type of stuff, at the very least the next section that needs to be done is the myth and magic map rewrite (because that should simplify multi-level stuff like the dwarf forts).

That said, this has always been about civ-specific structures, never about era specific, so I guess that part is still unknown :p
Thanks! Hadn't looked hard enough, haha. I've yet to stumble over any such mixed town, too.
Something like specific architectural styles being defined and used instead of civ-wide standard buildings could be really interesting, but I don't know how hard it could be to put in practice. Down the line, perhaps! Enough on the plate as is, I suppose.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181]