Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: [Succession 40.13]Glovedloved: Low-Cost Dwarfing Available Now![Discussion]  (Read 13579 times)

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile

This is the discussion and information thread of Glovedloved.
In this thread you can make turn requests, dwarfing requests, and talk about the various aspects of the succession game.  The turn order will be on the next post.

This fortress is heavily roll play centered, so if you aren't into the RP aspects of a succession fort, then GlovedLoved probably isn't for you.

If you want to read or add to the the story and Journals, visit the JOURNAL THREAD.

This is the continuation of a succession game originally started by Nordinkel HERE

However, since Nordinkel went AWOL shortly after completing his turn, this is an attempt to keep the game alive while still providing 1st page updates through a change in management.

You can see the stirring introduction speech behind the spoiler.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

THE RULES:

Quote from: Nordinkel
The first seven dwarves carve out a mountainside fortress.

All Dwarves joining the Fort after embark will be kept outside, forming an outskirt slum. None of those migrants may enter or communicate with the fort and do not have access to any forges or trade depots. Kilns and glass furnaces are okay.

The only exception to the above rule is that the fortress is allowed to maintain a servant class dedicated to hauling.  This servant class may only have hauling labors enabled and nothing else, but do not have to be assigned to any burrow and may move freely through all areas.  Members of the servant class cannot be dwarfed players. Additionally, servants are essentially non-event NPCs and should not be utilized for major RP purposes (acknowledging them is fine, they just should not have any great impact on the plot as it evolves).

Peasants living in the slums may only dig through soil/ non-solid material and one z- level of stone.

After every year, ONE of the slum Dwarves is chosen to be a new member of the Mountain.  The Ascending dwarf should be chosen by votes between all members of the mountain, out of a small list of candidates.  The current population of active mountain dwarves is insufficient to make this practical.  For the time being, yearly additions are made through RP at the overseer's discretion.

Overseers do not need to be part of the Mountain, but they still have to play within the constraints of the scenario.  For instance, a peasant overlord cannot simply abolish the burrows and declare that the separation is over.

If any of the Mountain members dies, they are replaced with another Slum dwarf.  This replacement is done at the current overseer's discression.  The new mountain member can be picked via RP, lottery, favoritism, or any other criteria the overseer chooses.

Any Child that is born on the mountain has to leave and join the Slums as soon as it can stand on two legs, to earn its way back to kingdom.

The Mountain may impose taxes and seize goods from the slums. Providing the slums with goods from the mountain is generally forbidden, but there may be intrigues and smuggling.

Turn Limit:  Each turn is limited to 2 weeks (14 days) from the start of a player's turn.  If for any reason you cannot complete your turn, you may end it early and pass on the fortress.  The next player can optionally complete the remainder of that turn before completing their full spring-to-spring turn.  If a turn is abandoned without a save file, all events in the RP thread during that turn will be considered Alternate Universe (AU) but may be optionally re-created by the next player if desired and still incorperated to the story.  Again, this is optional so AU posts may be completely ignored if desired.

Further, if an overseer goes 5 days without making a post, their turn will be considered abandoned and their turn will be passed on to the next player with all of their posts marked as AU. (This rule subject to extenuating circumstances provided there is notification prior to an absence longer than 5 days within the 2-week period.  For instance, if a player were to go on a trip for 10 days without internet access but would be bringing a laptop to play their turn offline.  In that case, inactivity in the player would not result in being flagged as abandoned until a day or two after their return date.)

Additionally, each player will have 72 hours (3 days) to start their turn once notified that the save file is available.  Failing to reply will result in the turn being skipped and play being passed to the next in the queue.

Players may take multiple turns as overseer, but must wait until after their turn is complete to sign up for their next turn.

Original Founders of the Mountain
  • Nordinkel
  • Chimerat <-Deceased->
  • Tacomagic
  • neblime
  • Dwarobaki  <-Deceased->
  • tonnot98 <-Deceased->
  • Njneko

THE LIVING DORFED:
NameFactionStatus
Nordinkel (Mountain)Living (M)
TacoMagic (Followers)Injured (Loss of hand function)
neblime(Mountain)Injured (Fight with Ettin) (M)
Njneko(Mountain)Living
Onud Itlud(Peasant)Living
Digger (Rhaken) (Mountain)Living
Saint(Peasant)Living
Illogical_Blox(Mountain)Living
Kaladin(Follower/Mountain)Living
Maskwolf(4Maskwolf)(Priest of Armok) Living
Sionnach (Deus Asmoth)(Loyalist)Living
UltraMagnus(Skulls' Thugs)Living
Nokzam(Einsteinsatdown)(Mountain)Living

MOUNTAIN RESIDENTS:
Nordinkel
neblime
Njneko
Digger (Rhaken)
Kaladin
Nokzam(Einsteinsatdown)
Illogical_Blox
Minkot Nomaleshtan(NPC)
Deler Urdimtathtat(NPC)
Sigun Onuldalzat(NPC)

THE DEAD:
NameFactionCause of Death
EinsteinSatDown(Peasant)Insanity
Breemont(Peasant)Queen fell on her
Doc Timeless(Peasant)Weresloth Attack
Dhoor The Hammer(Dwarobaki)(Mountain)Water Titan
MedicIndisquise(Peasant)Water Titan
Skulls (Skullsploder) (Skulls' Thugs)Water Titan
Libitina (Peasant)Water Titan
Omeganaut(Loyalist)Water Titan
The Masked Priest (4Maskwolf)(Priest of Armok) Water Titan
Deus Asmoth(Peasant)Drowned (Ettin?)
tonnot98(Mountain)Forgotten Beast
Yesaja(Peasant)Forgotten Beast
Chimerat (Priest of Armok)Forgotten Beast

The Factions:
Currently there are six primary factions in Glovedloved

The Mountain:
Members of the mountain are there for various reasons and are of mostly conflicting designs.  They form the aristocracy of Glovedloved and are, to a certain degree, xenophobic.  They have cut themselves off from the peasantry and see themselves as a seperate entity which is allowed to skim the cream of the crop off the top of the peasants living below.

The Peasantry:
They go by many names, the prospects, proletariat, serfs, peasants, etc.  They are the generic working drub dwarves kept down by the Mountain.

The Loyalists:
They stand in direct opposition of everything the Mountain stands for.  They wish to elevate the peasants to the lives they should be living; lives of stone, metal, and gem.  Currently they exist in secret from the Mountain.  They were initially formed by Omeganaut, who served as the first Mayor.  He was lost in the water titan attack of 252.  The Civilian Defense force is comprised of and takes order from the Loyalists.

Skulls' Thugs:
The small group of "law" enforcers under the command of the sadistic Justicer: Skulls.  They have a loose allegiance to the Mountain, if only because it suits them to have the favor of the ones controlling the weapons.  The leader of the group, Skulls, died in the water titan attack of 252.

Followers of the Path:
A group of quasi-religious fanatics and zealots lead by the fallen Queen priestess TacoMagic and her advisor Kaladin.  They believe the true destiny of the dwarves is to shun the supposed corrupting power of metals and gems and instead focus on toiling with wood, stone, and other natural substances.  The code of ethics states, among other things, that attaining true enlightenment requires a significant amount of suffering and self-denial on the part of the prospect (the term most often applied to one seeking enlightenment).  On the other hand, the Sacrifices are those who are destined to live an empty life of luxury surrounded by opulence.  They act as a kind of sponge for tainted items, pulling them away and helping the prospects avoid the corruption. The original school of thought was developed by Ordin Tredleks.  He has written a nearly endless number of books on the subject.

Priests of Armok:
Members of the largest dwarven religion, the priests of Armok worship the high dwarven god of blood.  They serve as the spiritual leaders for warriors and civilians alike, blessing the living and the dead.  The group in Glovedloved was founded by the masked priest shortly before his death at the hands of a water titan, currently consisting of four dwarves who accepted the offer to enter the priesthood.  Their presence is acknowledged, though mostly ignored, by the mountain dwarves, and they lead prayer sessions among the peasants.  They have neutral to friendly relations with the followers of the path, in part due to the work of the masked priest in reconciling the two religions.

DORF REQUESTS:
When making a request to be dorfed, please indicate if you wish to be a part of any of these primary factions.  You cannot start a new faction when joining, but must RP it over on the journal threads board.  Also indicate any job description you'd like any any other tidbits of information you think are pertinent to the dorfing.  Most of the meat of your character can be fleshed out in any journal posts you make.  Be mindful that non-overseer posts will only be held as guidelines for the current overseer.  Anything that directly conflicts with established canon or the Overseer's posts will be considered to be a dream, delusion, or hallucination on the part of your character.  Pretty standard RP stuff there.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 07:51:07 pm by Tacomagic »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession 40.13]Glovedloved - MoK Under New Management [Discussion]
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 11:24:05 pm »

Turn Order:

Nordinkel(Mountain)*Turn Complete*
Tacomagic(Mountain)*Turn Complete*
neblime(Mountain)*Turn Complete*
Deus Asmoth(Loyalist)*Turn Complete*
EinsteinSatDown(Loyalist)*Current Turn*
tonnot98(Mountain)
Onud Itlud(Peasant)
4maskwolf(Priest of Armok)
Tacomagic(Followers)
UltraMagnus(Skulls' Thugs)
neblime(Mountain)
Deus Asmoth(Loyalist)

Currently open and accepting new overseers!

TO BE DWARFED:
These are the pending dwarfing requests.
NameFaction
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 02:49:55 pm by Tacomagic »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 11:24:27 pm »

Also Reserved.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 11:38:45 pm »

Anyone already dwarfed who wants to declare a faction may do so.  Just post here and I'll make the change.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 11:39:55 pm »

Can I request a dwarf and a turn, please?  Goes by "The masked dwarf"

I SWEAR THEY WON'T HAVE MAGICAL POWERS, ASMOTH! THAT WAS YOUR DOING ANYWAY!

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 11:49:52 pm »

I SWEAR THEY WON'T HAVE MAGICAL POWERS, ASMOTH! THAT WAS YOUR DOING ANYWAY!

Added.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 12:32:06 am »

do you want any particular profession/skills or other dwarfiness?  Or shall I just dwarf any old dwarf
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 07:22:52 am »

I didn't really put it in my earlier Journal post, but Chimerat's vote is still "More MALES!"  ;)

Then again, there's been no mention so far in game of the rules of what happens to offspring... If there was, she'd likely have a different view of things. >:(

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 07:24:09 am »

Then again, there's been no mention so far in game of the rules of what happens to offspring... If there was, she'd likely have a different view of things. >:(
absolutely there has, as soon as they are able they are expelled from the mountain to earn their way back
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 10:02:30 am »

do you want any particular profession/skills or other dwarfiness?  Or shall I just dwarf any old dwarf
A cook, if possible.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 10:41:51 am »

I probably should have asked this before making the journal entry, but is it okay if my dwarf is, on arrival, a part of a generally recognized group but does not have any authority in the fortress at the moment (thus making him effectively a peasant until I get his group going)?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 12:28:02 pm »

I probably should have asked this before making the journal entry, but is it okay if my dwarf is, on arrival, a part of a generally recognized group but does not have any authority in the fortress at the moment (thus making him effectively a peasant until I get his group going)?

Yes, generalized canon or otherwise accepted groups are okay.  Priests of Armok are good; though I think I remember that they usually have a patron Diety that they also worship as a rule.  You could probably pull one one of the old saves and poke around legend mode if that interests you.

I should really do that anyway.  Having some more information about the world this scenario is going down in is never a bad idea.

And in this case, I think the inevitable strife between the theological factions could become very interesting.  Provided we don't have another weresloth attack right away.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 12:30:28 pm by Tacomagic »

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 12:29:44 pm »

absolutely there has, as soon as they are able they are expelled from the mountain to earn their way back
So be clear: In game = Between the Dwarves. There has been nothing in the journals about it in a "public" medium. (If you can quote an entry that mentions is, I'd be very interested in reading what I missed. :) )

-

Okay. Chimerat is now on 4maskwolf's side. She finds Armok's Priests bloody and such, but at least they're sane...by Dwarfish standards. ;D

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 12:33:30 pm »

So be clear: In game = Between the Dwarves. There has been nothing in the journals about it in a "public" medium. (If you can quote an entry that mentions is, I'd be very interested in reading what I missed. :) )
Sweet crap, she's right!

Not a problem yet as, per the end of my turn, the only relationship in the mountain was a friendship between Nordinkel and TacoMagic.  Don't ask, I have no idea why the two of them were actually tight.  Keep your enemies close, I think.

And even then, with TacoMagic joining the proletariat, it doesn't count as a Mountain relationship anymore anyway.  I think the issue there is that, currently, the Mountain population is so small that they are almost always working.  Not a lot of time to form relationships.

Okay. Chimerat is now on 4maskwolf's side. She finds Armok's Priests bloody and such, but at least they're sane...by Dwarfish standards. ;D

Until 4mask's faction gets going, I'm going to leave you both as peasant and Mountain faction respectively.  We can revise that later as things get more interesting.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 12:52:05 pm »

Sweet crap, she's right!
*snickers* I even purposefully put in a bit about little feet in one of my entries earlier. ;)

That's fine for the listed factions for now. Just figured I'd stake my side now. :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10