Yes (10 at 55 points)
- 2 (13.3%)
Yes (11 at 66 points)
- 0 (0%)
Yes (12 at 78 points)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Roll to Level up: The Race to level 100! Turn 8: Top level 40, Total deaths 13  (Read 10051 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Welcome to...
      The Kingdom of Adventure!

You are heroic adventurer, and your goal is to amass fame and fortune! Well, more specifically, your goal is to amass fame and fortune first. You start at level 1, and gain EXP for fighting enemies, completing quests, and generally doing anything successfully. The first person to reach level 100 is the new King of Adventure Kingdom, Adored by the Opposite Sex, and An Interesting Person, among other accolades and titles. Everybody else is just another rubbish adventurer, who probably dies in a Player's Handbook example-of-play.

How much EXP does it take to level up? One. Every EXP you earn gains you a level (but tasks that are too easy don't give EXP) and every level gains you a skill point. You also gain one EXP every turn. Later one, tasks will grant multiple EXP at once.

THE SKILLS:
These provide a bonus on your rolls made. You will make a roll when you attempt an action, a random event happens, or you get in a fight. The first point you put in a skill gives you a +1 bonus on all rolls using that skill. You get a +2 bonus after spending 2 more points in a skill, and so on, so that you have to spend a number of skill points to get larger bonuses.

Spoiler: Skill Bonuses (click to show/hide)

You may invest points in the following skills, and we'll probably have invented more before the game is over. The fighting skills are used to resolve combat, the dungeon skills are usually used during quests, and the crafting skills grant XP on their own and sometimes inventory items. I have some more specific details in mind, but I'll let you discover them.

Fighting:
-Rock-jitsu
-Paper Fu
-Scissor Style
Dungeons:
-Fetching
-Trapfinding
-Puzzles
Crafting:
-Weapons
-Armor
-Business Investment

THE ACTIONS:
Each turn, you can perform ONE action. You get to spend all your skill points first. Typically your action will be one of the following: Fight an enemy from the list of available enemies (or fight a player), attempt a quest from the list of quests, or use a crafting skill. Fighting will be an opposed roll, and quests will be skill rolls with a penalty based on their difficulty. You will resolve any attacks made against you or random events which occur, then your chosen action. Typically, a result of 6 grants bonus EXP and a result of 1 during a dangerous task results in death. If you die, then you will not resolve any more actions that turn. The next turn, you will be resurrected and act normally, but you will NOT gain your free EXP that turn. Finally, only one person can complete a quest- if two people complete a quest in the same turn, only the person with the higher roll (or a tie-breaker roll) will gain the reward. There are enough enemies for everyone to go around, however.

Today's Enemies:
-Squirrel
-Badger
-Bear
-Orc
Today's Quests:
-Fetch Me a Coffee
-Steal Baron Ed's Potted Topiary Giraffe
-Retrieve the Hand of the Mummy from the Tomb
-Defeat Bandit Steve, Scissor Style Apprentice

HOW TO JOIN:
The first six comers get to join. I don't think I'll do a waitlist, it would be awkward to join mid-game. Perhaps I'll allow spectators to initiate "random" events.

Simply post:
-Your CHARACTER NAME
-Which skill to assign your ONE starting skill point
-What ACTION you will attempt during your first turn
-A BIO, as long or short as you like.

We've got our contestants, joining is CLOSED. It will probably remain so until the game concludes.

COMMENCE.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 05:03:00 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

blazing glory

Re: Roll to Level up: The Race to level 100! Join now 0/6
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 06:00:06 am »

Very well.

Name: Starn Gundar.
Skill: 1+ Rock-jitsu
Action: Fight, waaait for it...a badger!
Bio: Starn was taking a stroll one evening, taking a break from doing nothing, when a wizard came along, gave him a nigh-worthless chipped and blunted axe, told him to embark on a quest for greatness, then disappeared in a puff of smoke, well Starn didn't have any thing BETTER to do...

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 08:48:39 am »

Langley Green, the tenacious +1 Scissorstyle Adept, will bravely fight a squirrel. Langley is a student of the Way of the Scissors, and has been questing for many hours in search of a worthy foe. Now he has found one, and so has challenged it to a duel. Langley has dark brown eyes and witnessed the deaths of all his aunts and uncles as a young child at the hands of an eagle. He has sworn to seek revenge, but first he must master the Way of the Scissors, and become Attractive to the Opposite Sex.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 09:32:28 am »

Name:  Ed from Accounting
Skill:  Business Investment +1
Action:  Fetch Me a Coffee
Bio:  Ed from Accounting was at his job at GreyBoring Investments, headed to Starbucks to get his boss a double mocha latte with extra cream.  He took a wrong turn on the way, ended up going in the back door of the science building next door, and fell into a portal to this weird dimension.  He's still got the double mocha latte.  He'd just like to avoid this nonsense and get back to his 9 to 5.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 12:21:21 pm »

Name: Thomas von Vsevolodovich
Skill: Scissor Style
Action: Fight a BEAR. Manly BEAR.
Bio: Thomas honing the stereotypical name of a villain was predestined to become the greatest fetch quester of the world generic villain hometown.  Turns out that destiny doesn't like him quite as much as they thought. Because he didn't qualify to be the First Boss's Lieutenant's Generic Mook's Assistant. But if he gets to level 100, he will become First Boss's Lieutenant's Generic Mook's Vice Assistant! He has a motivation, you know. Those guys pay well.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 12:46:44 pm »

NAME:MANLY MC MANN
SKILL:BEING MANLY ROCK JITSU
ACTION:KILL THAT UNMANLY BANDIT!
BIO:THE MOST MANLY MAN IN THE WORLD

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Level up: The Race to level 100! Join now 5/6
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 10:20:10 pm »

Little bump for the last slot. I'll go ahead and get the ball rolling if nobody joins in the next few hours.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 11:47:11 pm »

I Join!
Constructing character.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 12:20:11 am by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 11:48:24 pm »

Name: Will Barkley
Skill: Rock-jitsu
Action: Fetch a coffee!
Bio: Messenger boy looking for revenge on the mail service that put him out of business.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 11:50:50 pm by Playergamer »
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 03:05:11 am »

Turn 1, Commence!

Sorry, playergamer, you didn't make it in. However, you're officially the current King of Adventure Kingdom, who reached the previous level cap of 95 before the latest expansion pack.

Blazing Glory
Starn Gundar
Level 1

You take your old, chipped axe in hand, and embark to fight a badger! You roll [1]+1=2 VS [2]+1+2=5! The badger finds you first, and gets the jump on you- not only that, its amateur paper-fu fighting style is super effective against you! You die in a flurry of shredding badger claws. It keeps your axe as a trophy. You have a vision of a dark, hot place... a man with horns says "Get out! We just don't have any vacant rooms right now!" You awake in the Adventure Village chapel, gaining no EXP this turn.

Lawastooshort
Langely Green
Level 1

You stand in an open field, staring the squirrel right in the eyes. They are cold, black, beady, and most definitely evil. Suddenly, the moment is right- you both charge to attack! [1]+1=2 VS [5]! Despite the fact that you have some dabbling combat skill, and the squirrel has none whatsoever, you are caught off guard when it runs between your legs, and throws an acorn in your eye when you turn around to face it. Everything goes black, and you awaken to a village yokel dabbling your forehead with water from a cold stream. You now have an eyepatch. You gain no EXP this turn.

Toaster
Ed from Accounting
Level 1

You may be in a strange and foreign land, but if there's one thing you're good at, it's fetching other people's coffee! That and managing investments. [5] A man sits before you on a golden throne, wearing furs and gold jewels, and a cape of scarlet and deep indigo, and a golden crown that burns with an unearthly cold flame. He says, "I am king Will Barkley, of the Kingdom of Adventure! I know not whence you come, stranger, but I could really use a double mocha latte right now." You pretend to walk down to the store to get one by walking around the nearest corner and coming back, then giving him your drink. The king is impressed with the marvelous speed of your coffee fetching and bestows upon you the official title of Coffee Fetcher Supreme. You gain an experience point! You also gain 50 GOLD PIECES, and another experience point for going a whole turn without being mauled by a small woodland animal, for a grand total of 2 EXP!

SaberToothTiger
Thomas von Vsevolodovich
Level 1

Motivated to become the First Boss's Lieutenant's Generic Mook's Assistant, you pick a fight with the First Boss's Lieutenant's Generic Mook's pet bear, just to show how badass you are. You roll a [1]+1=2 vs [2]+2+2=6! Turns out bears fight in rock style, and their strength makes them good at it too. You are promptly mauled and eaten. You have a faint vision of a place full of light and clouds, and you think you hear a voice say "He's just got so much... motivation, you know?" You awake in the Dark Altar of Minion Spawning, and the guards promptly shove you out to make room for the next guy respawning.

werty892
MANLY MC MANN
Level 1

[3] Taking a lead from the village quest board, you question several people whom the bandit robbed and find his hiding place. He is in a small camp of lesser bandits. As a Rock Jitsu apprentice, and general manly person, you storm in and demand a duel with Bandit Steve! Steve steps forward, a thin sword in his hands, ready to fight the dance of the Scissor Style. You roll [5]+1+2=7 VS [4]+1=5! Bandit Steve makes one quick thrust at you, allowing you to grab his weak pencil wrist in your bare hand. Several loud crunching noises later, you're victorious! You gain 1 EXP for fighting Bandit Steve and 1 EXP for completing the quest, as well as your 1 EXP for not dying this turn. You total 3 EXP gained! You also gain 100 gold.

NAV
Crab Nelson Jeff
Level 1

You attempt to use your skills with weapon crafting to craft yourself into a deadly weapon! [6] You have the ingenious idea to replace your right arm with a deadly sharp MASTERWORK +1 SWORD from the elbow up! You gain a +1 bonus to all fighting styles, and 2 EXP for your unusual feat. There is definitely no way this will backfire on you later. [1] Your arm gets infected. You die. You have a faint vision of a place full of buzzing. You think you hear someone say "Buzz! Buzz buzz buzzzzzz!" These words have a deep meaning to you, you will treasure them always. You wake up, dangling upside down from a tree branch, sword arm intact. You gain no bonus EXP this round, for a total of 2 EXP gained!

This concludes our first turn. It is apparent that the dice are not very fond of you guys.

Today's Enemies:
-Squirrel
-Badger with an Axe
-Bear
-Merlon, greatest wizard of all time
Today's Quests:
-Retrieve the Master Sword from the Ancient Woods
-Find the Black Lotus flower
-Balance the ledger... Of Death!
-Grab That Shiny Thing Over There

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Fight Merlon and then get that shiny thing over there.

blazing glory

Conclude that badger is my ultimate nemesis, who I will only face when I am ready, name him Steve and then balance the Ledger of Doom.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile

Go cripple the badger to make things easier for Starn.
Oh, and invest my EXP into puzzles and scissor style.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 11:24:58 am by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile

FLEX MUSCLES, AND DESTROY THAT BEAR WITH MY BEAR HANDS! ALSO, PUT ALL MY POINTS INTO ROCK JITSU
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 11:19:58 am by werty892 »

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile

I shall find the flower and wear it as a hat!
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8