Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Communism  (Read 3541 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: Communism
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2014, 09:38:04 pm »

Feudalism is a power structure, not an economic model. Medieval societies actually used multiple economic models simultaneously across different economic classes and cultures; gift economies, mercantilism, etc.

As for the topic at hand, it seems a little premature to suggest multiple economic systems when the economy has yet to be implemented. As-is, nothing would change with introduction of a tag to forbid dwarves form owning properties. Other than nobles, dwarves are not required to own properties and all it takes to stop them from doing so is the player not assigning them specific rooms. I understand if you don't want dwarves to get a bad thought from not having a room of their own.
Largely, though, this idea doesn't make sense to me. If you want to get rid of ownership, well... the means of production is already communal. No goods besides cloths, no property beyond rooms or offices... no property ownership currently implemented in the game is something that wouldn't exist in a communist society. I don't think anyone has ever suggested that the clothes on your back should belong to the community, or that personal dwellings shouldn't exist, or that an assigned table for you to work at is unacceptable in the context of communism. Communism isn't 'no ownership ever', its the creation of a society without class, where another person owns land or means of production and another does not.
Pages: 1 2 [3]