Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Average incubation time of Boulder Crabs?  (Read 4155 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Average incubation time of Boulder Crabs?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 04:50:13 pm »

tested?  it's a clever solution but i would have thought males won't lay eggs.

Just tested it, works perfectly.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 04:56:46 pm »

Nice!  :D

kreepergrimms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 11:45:01 am »

Anyway, I have finally decided to take action against this issue.

For anyone who want's boulder crabs to lay eggs again, I bring you my modding skills. So "how do you fix this?" you may ask. Well first you must open your masterwork folder, then click the Dwarf fortress folder, then click the raw folder,  then click the objects folder, then you will be bombarded by a bunch of txt files. Go to the one named creature_pet_masterwork then you will have the raws for the boulder crab. The first thing you want to do there is look for this section of text
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now change it to this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So what you just did is make it so that females lay real eggs, while males lay boulders. I hope this solves all of your problems. Maybe implement this in all future masterwork releases?

does this work with adding egg laying to any type of animal? i have found several animals from the caverns and above ground which will not claim boxes or even have litters after the first year

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 04:53:49 pm »

to be honest, I don't know. since I think DF 2010 animals with the [PET_TAG] or [PET_EXOTIC] tag are the only animals that breed or lay eggs in fort mode. If you managed to tame them, then they should be able to have litters or lay eggs. Also an animal has to have a [CHILD] tag in order to be able to make their eggs hatch or to give live birth. Animals without [CHILD] should still be able to lay eggs, they will just never hatch.

So can you tell me some examples of which animals you specifically encountered that did not lay eggs? Also genderless creatures will never give live birth nor make their eggs hatch.

So in summary, you need to make sure the animal has [PET], [CHILD:#], and [FEMALE] if you want it to breed.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

kreepergrimms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 11:06:15 pm »

to be honest, I don't know. since I think DF 2010 animals with the [PET_TAG] or [PET_EXOTIC] tag are the only animals that breed or lay eggs in fort mode. If you managed to tame them, then they should be able to have litters or lay eggs. Also an animal has to have a [CHILD] tag in order to be able to make their eggs hatch or to give live birth. Animals without [CHILD] should still be able to lay eggs, they will just never hatch.

So can you tell me some examples of which animals you specifically encountered that did not lay eggs? Also genderless creatures will never give live birth nor make their eggs hatch.

So in summary, you need to make sure the animal has [PET], [CHILD:#], and [FEMALE] if you want it to breed.

almost all of the giant versions of insects, like giant fly, giant olms, etc, all of the spider types, forest spider, giant cave spider, drowspiders, yes i do have a bit of the farmer john attitude about catching and taming the local wild life, i have noticed that some animals however when tamed are considered sentient, i have had white tigermen have cubs while caged after sieges, and they can be tamed, but i havent had a fort last long enough to have them reach adult hood and breed, also the dragons from the underground, i would love to get them to breed

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 07:32:23 am »

well cave dragons lack the CHILD tag which is why they can't breed, also all of the giant insects are usually giant forms of vermin and vermin themselves can't breed or lay eggs. So just add the above tags to their raws, and they will begin to breed for you.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2014, 08:10:29 am »

Nice work :) I have to remember that and add it to the bug fixes list.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2014, 03:56:22 pm »

The boulder crabs or the giant insects?

kreepergrimms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 12:09:41 am »

so i can pretty much just use the same setup but change the clutch size to whatever i think the insects should hatch out to eh? also i was wondering, if it has the child tag, do i still need something to make them give birth or is that enough in itself to have them give birth

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 12:46:33 am »

Child and female is enough. Of course you do need a male

kreepergrimms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 02:15:42 am »

ok i was worried about having to write out a child version in the raws, but if [child:#] and the egg sets would work then im good, also im assuming [CHILD:#] means # is the amount born in a brood

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 02:34:50 am »

CHILD is the length in years of childhood

kreepergrimms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2014, 12:18:27 pm »

ok so here is a new question or an update on this question, i have the new eggs laid, it has been almost a full year in dwarf time. how long do the custom eggs take to hatch? harder farming is off, and i have had other eggs hatch already in game, but none of the custom eggs are hatching

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2014, 03:29:37 pm »

well to be fair I didn't actually test the hatching of the eggs, I just tested whether or not eggs would be layed. Although the eggs that were layed were female boulder crab eggs. Also try checking the nestbox with "t" to see whether or not there are any eggs inside.

Also what do you mean by custom eggs? boulders never hatch.

kreepergrimms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 09:03:08 pm »

the custom eggs are the new ones i added into the raws, i made several cavern creatures lay eggs, and also added [child:1] to them as well, as soon as the boulder crabs laid their eggs i forbid them, i also added eggs to giant roaches, due the high amount of giant roaches from the caves, i have trained a few and have en egg factory going on lol, my dwarves love those egg sacks lol. but yea im still waiting for any of these new eggs to hatch, i will keep you guys informed on how long it takes
Pages: 1 [2] 3