Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Plump Helmet Men: New Race for Adventure and Fortress mode 1.1.0  (Read 6133 times)

VarrgieCaelai

• Bay Watcher
  • [TRANCES]
    • View Profile

Little was known of them. We knew them as simple creatures, living deep underground, devoid of thought. We knew them as novel creatures, some of us killing them like cattle, even consuming their flesh. We saw them as useless creatures, only useful as a delicious meal. We thought they were not capable of war. We were wrong.

The Plump Helmet Men Cometh.

Introducing my debut mod for DF: The Plump Helmet Men. Play as the little understood Plump Helmet man, a small intelligent creature resembling a mushroom, infamous for their skill with spears and swords, and their ability to often avoid every blow brought upon them. Currently completely playable in Adventure mode, with basic starting equipment, hamlets and ethics. You might find a Plump Helmet hamlet a good place to refuge as a thief, as thieves and cannibals are completely acceptable in Plump Helmet man culture. You might even discover a few goblins and elves amongst their rank. I'm working on making them playable in Fortress mode, and improving balance (at the moment, if you get hit, whatever body part you got hit in gets absolutely obliterated, hence the overpowered dodge stat).

Suggestions are completely welcome, the more ideas the better.

To install, open up your DF directory, open the raw file, open objects, then open the .txt file named creature_next_underground. Scroll down until you reach [PLUMP_HELMET_MAN]. Delete the original, and replace it with the text within the creature spoiler. Once thats done, go back into objects, and open the .txt file called entity_default, and paste the text within the entity spoiler. Hurrah! You've just downloaded my mod. Make a new world and they should spawn in. The mod is completely compatible with all tile sets, because it uses files in built into Dwarf Fortress.

Tell me if theres any bugs that need squashing.

Creature Raw
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Entity Raw
Screenshots
Changelog
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:05:57 pm by VarrgieCaelai »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

Some ideas:

Let them reproduce by growing regular plump helmets and using those plants to spawn new units.
Let them go into stasis by transforming into a stationary pet creature for a while, which will heal them when they come out.
Make them stronger underground.
No good weapons or armor, but can develop various syndrome inflicting abilities.
No emotions.

VarrgieCaelai

• Bay Watcher
  • [TRANCES]
    • View Profile

I like the idea of stasis, but I'm not sure how to code that :p  I'll have to learn. Adding syndromes could be interesting as well, but I don't really want to remove their emotions. They already cannot feel fear, so I think that's enough.  Reproducing by plump helmet would be pretty epic too. I think I'll work on the syndromes and the stasis effects. Thanks for the ideas!

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
Re: The Plump Helmet Men: New Race for Adventure and Fortress mode 1.1.0
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 09:27:21 am »

Sorry for necroing, but dang!

This is awesome! I knew there would be a use for all these plump helmet men.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

VarrgieCaelai

• Bay Watcher
  • [TRANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 01:25:39 am »

Sorry for necroing, but dang!

This is awesome! I knew there would be a use for all these plump helmet men.

I'm still gonna work on it, If I can get dwarf fortress to start working again (recently had some issues with Macnewbie) It's good to hear there's still people who are interested in it! At the moment, I've been working on making them less flimsy, although I had some weird crashes that I'll have to work on.

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 10:49:11 am »

This looks like it could be really interesting! If you're still wondering how to code stasis: a transformation interaction with a short duration. Creatures heal all wounds when transforming in or out of an alternate form (think werewolves).

That makes me think, one could easily code a phoenix's reborth that way. Hmm...

VarrgieCaelai

• Bay Watcher
  • [TRANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 08:17:52 pm »

This looks like it could be really interesting! If you're still wondering how to code stasis: a transformation interaction with a short duration. Creatures heal all wounds when transforming in or out of an alternate form (think werewolves).

That makes me think, one could easily code a phoenix's reborth that way. Hmm...
I'll have to investigate that as an alternative to making them less likely to get chopped up. The issue I've had at the moment is these poor plump helmet men are very weak, mostly because of the material they're made out of, Plump helmet tissue. Although, if they could heal any wounds in this way, the flimsiness wouldn't be a problem.