Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Independence war  (Read 8836 times)

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Independence war
« on: November 16, 2014, 01:12:49 pm »

To an extent, becoming a mountainhome might be seen as a certain benchmark to say "I made it". But it's not very exciting (I think it should require higher economic achievement, but that's for another topic). But how about another way to amuse yourself and get a nice mountainhome status?

Next time liaison decide to show up, why not hand him a declaration of your independence? This way we might have some fun.
  • Once you declare independence, your citizens will have to choose if they want to be your subjects or enemies. Did you manage to keep them happy enough to not suffer death by loyalism?
  • Supply from mountainhome will be cut. Is your economy efficient enough to provide all you need at home?
  • Army of your former owners will show up. Are you bad enough dude to withstand siege by steel-clad bearded psychos, not unlike your own?

After you destroy several sieges your highest ranked noble should be crowned as king. Before that he should probably call himself "Rebel leader" with the same requirements. Home civ should recognize your independence and restart the trade. Maybe even allow migrant influx again (It's not like dwarves don't want to migrate to prosperous nation-state)
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Independence war
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 01:15:19 pm »

+1 support for this idea. Once you can send dwarves to start other settlements, this would make a ton of sense.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 07:08:21 pm »

This is certainly more viable now with the new ownership and entity models. The current system of becoming the mountain home is just a left over from the project's gamey heritage that'll get replaced in time anyway. So +1 for sure.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 07:51:01 pm »

Definitely +1

After you destroy several sieges your highest ranked noble should be crowned as king.

Considering it is something you can trigger by yourself, and prepare for it, it should be really a big army. It would be a good challenge.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 07:57:16 pm »

This is actually a pretty interesting and fun idea.

Are you bad enough dude to withstand siege by steel-clad bearded psychos, not unlike your own?
Love the reference

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 08:03:39 pm »

The civilian alert goes up. The soldiers and militia assemble outside the gate. Dogs bark, and stray cats hiss at the mass outside the gate. Ballistae are rolled into place, aimed at the mass of iron and steel below. The tamed bears and traded tigers, clad in chain mail and leather, await to charge into the fray. Dwarves atop giant moles and draltha line up, waiting for the signal. Then, the signal was given: a single drum beat, followed by the sound of clamouring feet, and released crossbow bolts. The army below begins it's own charge, the front lines falling to bolts. At the gates, a massive silhouette of a cave dragon, the duke of Richfloater atop it, screams to his men-"Today, we win independence, freedom from the old Mountainhome! Fight, fight to the last dwarf! This day, will be ours!"

Only to be scared off his mount by a wombat, the gate crushes the ballistae and crossbowdearves, the draltha stop to graze instead of fight, and the bears begin attacking any dwarf. Dozens of untrained soldiers simply run home.
___________________________________________________________________________________

In short, it'd be great to fight for independence. Just, we need to work out some other things first. And implement some interesting features too.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 08:10:49 pm »

Or just release the MAGMA

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 08:18:37 pm »

A tactic thought of by a human overseer for a dwarven fortress should never be followed through.

LordUbik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 05:49:41 am »

It could be interesting, but i suppose i would need a "reason" to declare my indipendence.

In real world, colonies were often overtaxed, ignored, and kept in poverty both of money and political power, only used to gain resources and/or store political enemies and fellons.

Dwarven civs instead ask nothing from you, trade fairily and give you the possibility to become the mountainhome with some effort.

So why would i need/want to be indipendent?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 08:59:14 am »

Why do dwarven nobles want rose gold bed?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

darknessofthenight

• Bay Watcher
  • cannibalism is complicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 06:11:38 pm »

I really like this idea and agree that it should be a challenge to win your independance

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 07:24:34 pm »

It could be interesting, but i suppose i would need a "reason" to declare my indipendence.

In real world, colonies were often overtaxed, ignored, and kept in poverty both of money and political power, only used to gain resources and/or store political enemies and fellons.

Dwarven civs instead ask nothing from you, trade fairily and give you the possibility to become the mountainhome with some effort.

So why would i need/want to be indipendent?

Maybe we'll need to pay annually to the mountainhomes once the economy kicks in?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 07:27:18 pm »

Maybe have the trade costs get steeper the farther you are from other dwarves, and the longer your fort runs. Eventually, after fifty years, a ton of masterwork platinum studded with gold, silver, billon, pewters, electrum, tons of silks, and a bunch of gems won't be able to buy out the entire caravan.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 09:38:55 pm »

After you destroy several sieges your highest ranked noble should be crowned as king.
If you are declaring your independence, then you would crown a king IMMEDIATELY.

Not doing so would be a weak display of lacking self-confidence and authority, and would significantly increase number of loyalists against you, I imagine, realistically.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 11:12:48 pm »

I think it should be decided by your nobles and your citizens, not you.
  :P
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!
Pages: [1] 2