Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you get into mountain halls I am right on the mountain halls square and I  (Read 1208 times)

mclarky96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

can't seem to see the entrance. Oh yeah and btw I have tried retiring while in the mountain hall tile and it just puts me back on grass tile I retired on
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 01:58:48 pm by mclarky96 »

SMASH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is underground, you must find a fort and move down into it, you will find an underground road, which connects dwarwen mountainhalls.

mclarky96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright so is it like looking for caves it will be a down arrow or what but I will keep looking

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile

You want to look for a tile that has a "fortress entrance".  It will be marked as Ω on the zoomed out map, and in the intermediate zoom map is looks like a bunch of lines and circles.  The entrance itself will be a huge building with a trade depot inside and (at least usually) a large spiral staircase going down. 

You don't have to go poking around for a down arrow like a cave.  Fortress entrances are huge things that are impossible to miss.  Try visiting different dwarven sites (make by the Ω) until you find one.

Also, if the fortress entrance is on an underground road (a road marked on the map which doesn't appear on the surface) then you can take the spiral staircase down until you find a road (5-6 tile wide smoothed walkway, just like on the surface).  You can then use the road to fast-travel underground to other sites, like that mountain hall you were trying to get into.  You may have to manually travel on the road until you are out of the fortress site - I can't remember.

In other words, if you really want to visit a particular (undergound) mountain hall, look for a fortress entrance site that is connected to it by an underground road.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there anything inside mountain halls worth the journey to get there?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile

Is there anything inside mountain halls worth the journey to get there?
No.

There might be the monarch living there which can be kind of cool. Aside from that it's just more of the terrible featureless mazes that are dwarves fortresses. I guess also just the idea of a dwarves fortress that's only accessible through underground passageways guarded by other fortresses and how cool it would be to visit there.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia