Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Peregrine Giant One Pound Falcon  (Read 1390 times)

ToXey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Peregrine Giant One Pound Falcon
« on: November 17, 2014, 04:46:05 am »

I pummeled a huge peregrine falcon for almost 5 minutes and he didn't die from
the attacks of my own flail, one person's mace and one person's hammer.

It was badly wounded, but nothing would kill it.

As a contrast, I could one-shot a raven by hitting it in the wing with
an arrow.

Also, the falcon keeps slamming into obstacles so it can't be hit before
it hits the ground, which means that most of the time I have to use comma
rather than punctuation mark to advance time to hit it, making it even
slower to kill it.

I think it's been hit about 20 times now.

Big creatures generally survive any kind of onslaught, and small creatures
have the chance of just getting their skin scraped or something like that.

I stabbed it in the neck with a knife "tearing the skin"
Then I stabbed it in the head with the same knife
"and the severed part sails off in an arc!"

And it is still not dead. Whaat?

"The Tiercel Peregrine slams into an obstacle!"
"Tiercel Peregrine has been struck down."

The creature is large and all... and its corpse weighs just 1 in weight.

That's to compare it to the dagger which I was wielding, which had 1
aswell in weight.

So it's basically one of the biggest creatures in terms of how easy it is to kill.
Then it's basically the lightest creature.
And it fits into a backpack.
And a real peregrine falcon would just have left the place long before you got there.

Yay adventure mode.  :-*

*addition* I threw away the corpse, I can't butcher animals anymore. It's probably a feature.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 04:49:17 am by ToXey »
-I slew Zolak! -It was inevitable.
-Any troubles? -Bandit Zolak is harassing our hamlet!
-Tell me about Zolak. -Zolak is dead.
-What do you think about me? -You are killer. You are also unhinged. You have perpetrated a violent attack upon Zolak.

ToXey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Peregrine Giant One Pound Falcon
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 04:58:13 am »

However, killing a Hoary Marmot works fine.

*addition* I just threw a Hoary Marmot Skull at a Hoary Marmot
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 05:33:26 am by ToXey »
-What do you think about me? -You are killer. You are also unhinged. You have perpetrated a violent attack upon Zolak.

ToXey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 05:41:34 am »

And I found a forgotten beast inside a dwarven fortress.

ToXey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 08:28:42 am »

And the time that the neck flew off a creature "the severed part flies off in an arc!"

I just bisected the neck without harming the head.

ToXey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 08:50:26 am »

I modded the game and played adventure mode as a Muskox. I could not grasp anything, I had nothing to eat. I was locked in a room with two humans. I attacked one of the humans and shaked his head with my teath. After tearing and kicking him to death I drank his blood from the big pool on the ground. The pool was then depleted. This is survival mode for Muskox! How long can you survive as a muskox locked into a room, and can you escape? Do you have the innate ability "graze"? Or do you have to go vegetarian on the humans and eat their flesh instead of getting your own eaten? Or is that cannibalism? Ask the muskox! And who recruited a Muskox Outsider to their town? Also, he doesn't have free grasp, how did he grab the knife from the dead human and then butcher him? Many questions, so little reason to answer them. Modding dwarf fortress ftw.

ToXey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 08:52:14 am »

I think an innate ability "eat human flesh" would be great for a muskox. The problem I'm having now is that I don't have a free grasp so I can't eat the flesh on the floor. I tried to "interact" with it using U but it didn't work.

*bug report* Muskox can't eat human flesh.
*description* Omo Lalalalerine the Muskox Recruit can't eat the human flesh that he just hoofed a knife with.
*steps to reproduce* Mod dwarf fortress. Watch the results.
*additional information* this is not a bug report
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 08:56:24 am by ToXey »

re4der

• Bay Watcher
  • Somnonaut
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 06:09:20 am »

It' not bug. There no mechanic for it implemented as, obviously, you cannot play as animal in vanillia.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 06:13:01 am by re4der »

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 12:47:52 pm »

Then I stabbed it in the head with the same knife
"and the severed part sails off in an arc!"

And it is still not dead. Whaat?

"The Tiercel Peregrine slams into an obstacle!"
"Tiercel Peregrine has been struck down."

*addition* I threw away the corpse, I can't butcher animals anymore. It's probably a feature.
Creatures don't get announced as dead until they are on the ground and no longer moving.  It was dead once you cut its head off, but the game doesn't announce the death until its corpse is on the ground and stationary.  I'm not sure why this is, but I have seen this many times with different creatures.

Next time, I recommend trying to grab the falcon using wrestling - then it won't get knocked away from you when you hit it.  Wrestling small animals is also very easy compared to larger ones.

You can't butcher the corpses of animals below a certain size, which includes most birds.  You should still be able to butcher any animal which weighs at least a few Urists, including things like groundhogs.  This has been the case as long as I can remember, and realistically makes sense, as such an animal would yield an insignificant amount of meat.  The bug is that you can embark with things like mosquito brains in dwarf mode.   Also, in this version you seem to be able to butcher sentients, like elves for example.  However you need to have an edged weapon to do so, which requires a grasp, so no luck for your muskox.  Currently if you want to adventure as an animal you need to also mod them to have a grasp, and also add [CANOPENDOORS] and perhaps [CANSPEAK] and [CANLEARN], or perhaps [INTELLIGENT].  If you're interested in this and can't find how to do it easily I can elaborate.

ToXey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 07:24:03 am »

I was just messing around, it's fun to see the different things in the game. For example, the Tiercel Peregrine Falcon had a few hits from one flail, one mace and one hammer, and it weighed one unit. In other words, it was not much larger than a copper dagger which I had in the backpack. But animals like Hoary Marmots are easier to kill. So it's probably moddable to make the animal easier to kill, somehow, by looking into the raws and changing things there. And I once one-shot killed a raven by shooting it in the wing.