Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to peacefully restrain stupid bandits?  (Read 1368 times)

ChildofSolitude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a way to peacefully restrain stupid bandits?
« on: November 16, 2014, 05:46:17 pm »

I was recently attacked by a lone woman while my adventurer was sleeping. She had a carving knife, however, when I pulled out a knife of my own (prepared to take a trophy), she responded with "is that a weapon, what's going on here?"

I was quite a bit confused, considering she had the knife out and she was trying to attack me, and I was even more confused when, as I attempted to defend myself, the prompt came up if I REALLY wanted to attack the person, as if I was attacking an innocent that did nothing.

I decided to throw way my knife (at her leg, of course.) and wrestled her down, choking her until she suffocated. I then proceeded to remove all of her clothes and leave her to die in the frozen wastes (the stupid lady deserved it.)

Well, when I left the area and went back to my [T]ravel page, I was instantly attacked by another bandit. This time, I prepared my weapon... And was met by the exact same person! She never put her clothes back on and never got her weapon, but she still nearly broke my arm while I tried to peacefully incapacitate her again, the whole time yelling about how I had attacked HER.

Is there a way to take out lone bandits short of ripping them to shreds? I honestly felt no need to murder this lady; Chances are, she was a simple peasant who needed money and decided to attack an adventurer with a carving knife. I know that restraining enemies is something Toady is looking into, but in the meantime, is there a way to stop violence without the need for more violence?

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to peacefully restrain stupid bandits?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 10:11:16 am »

Not reliably that I know of. The 'it will work this time' approach to ambushes combined with everyone healing up the moment you fast travel makes non-lethal takedowns quite inconvenient.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 11:20:51 am »

The next time you restrain her, try sneaking away. I'm willing to bet that if she loses track of you she won't find you again.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 03:49:52 pm »

Well you could try to demand them to yield, and parry all their attacks, more often they would likely back down if they are in a major disadvantage, especially if you grab their attacks with your hands.
I remember being able to successful demain for the guys pouches for when I Got them to yield.  Also I don't think that was a bandit more so a crazed stressed out person since the new update added a new stress mechanic that works in adventure mode.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 03:58:38 pm »

Usually killing them is the way to go.

Oh. Right. Never mind, then.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 05:02:43 pm »

If you can remove their weapons (either by wrestling and/or demanding them) and get them to yield or otherwise become non-hostile, you can give them a training weapon, which they will put in their hands and use.  You may also have to remove any pouches or containers before giving them the weapon so they don't put it in a container.  This makes them almost completely harmless.

If you want to incapacitate without killing you could also try hacking/stabbing them in the foot.  If they are missing a foot or have nerve damage, then they won't be able to walk anymore, making them much easier to run away from.  Removing their hands is probably not a good idea, as then they will try to bite or kick you, which I think is more dangerous than punching (It's just a flesh wound!  Running away, eh?  I'll bite your legs off!)

If you don't draw your own weapon, many bandits (at least as of 40.14) would adopt non-lethal combat.  You can then punch and kick them until they yield.  You can NOT choke them, as this escalates to lethal.  You CAN take away all their weapons, valuables, etc through wrestling and they remain non-lethal.  If you get a message asking you to confirm hitting them more, then that means they are ready to yield.  Hitting them more at this point escalates combat to no quarter.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 08:48:12 pm »

I hope the non-lethal gameplay will see the possibility to actually capture/emprison opponents that have yield.

This could solve those bandit threats pseudo quests without having to kill anyone, as those pseudo quests currently can't be solved non lethally, as even if they're not hostile or have been punched in yielding to you, people in your world will still tell you about those bandit threats on their lives and harrassing them.