Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The Ageless Planet: Fortbent Adventure CYOA: Completed.  (Read 11068 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: The Ageless Planet: Fortbent CYOA
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2014, 06:23:23 pm »

How do we suck so bad. Rabbits though.
page of heart.
Wait. I don't know much about this mod. Did you change hell into the medium, or is there no potential for a Sgrub session to start starring your adventurer?

Uh wow not quite that much. There's at least one new nasty in hell, but it most certainly isn't the medium or anything.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2014, 06:51:40 pm »

So, then, I don't know, are there classpects in the mod?
I guess you could say you're the 'ansestors', which is why classpects work (if they do), but why you won't be starting a session.

Hmm. I hope eventually Toady adds 'pocket' or 'sideways' dimensions, and makes them moddable, so that you can add the Medium (and dream bubbles) to your mod when he does.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2014, 07:10:20 pm »

Only the twelve aspects. Used to be 144 claspects. That was hard.

Claspects aren't really known to be a thing on The Ageless Planet, though.

Pocket dimensions are going to be great.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 04:30:40 pm »

Quote from: Graknorke
How do we suck so bad. Rabbits though.

Rest up for an hour or two, then ask around nearby non-bandited towns for information of things to kill that aren't so deadly, wild animals or something.

Quote from: eerr
Search for fresh water

You head for the nearest town and fill your waterskin with their well.

After, you head to the tavern for some non-deadly jobs and maybe some armor (hopefully). This is a human town, so they'll probably have different troubles than your people. Great! There's a lot of armor in here. That could be useful. You decide to convert a bunch of shields and other (copper) stuff into armor grist. With this, you make a really nice helmet, mail shirt and greaves. The prospitian in the corner stares, but doesn't seem to care. You also grab a copper right gauntlet for your good hand because it makes you look badass.

You ask a nearby human maceman about troubles. He wants you to kill a titan. You write it down for later. Much later. Out of curiosity, you ask where exactly this titan's lair is. He tells you to ask the prospitian in the other room about it. He draws you a map. You ask the Prospitian about any troubles and you ask him about the beasts and you ask him where this night man wife is and he draws on your map again.

That was somewhat eventful. You also ask the Lady about people as you leave. You... very tentatively write down her advice, but decide very strongly not to go there until you can put up a fight against a teleporting creature who is better with a sword than you. Of course, there are still bandits in Mostring, and you have armor now.

Where do you go?

INVENTORY:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
SKILLS:
PARTY:
JOURNAL CONTENTS:
APPEARANCE:

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2014, 05:07:09 pm »

Night creatures sound good to be getting our stab on on.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2014, 06:56:09 pm »

Only the twelve aspects. Used to be 144 claspects. That was hard.

Pocket dimensions are going to be great.

Now I'm curious as to how you handled the more.. Abstract classpect combinations, like mages of void, or sylphs of doom, or basically all bards

I personally can't wait until boats and mounts. Because flying onto dersite ship with rocket pack.

>  Overwhelmed with a vague sense of being cool from your scar and new GAUNTLET, flaunt your recent "victories" to assorted passerby (certainly they'll fawn over your amazing feats of SLAYING A RABBIT! And a night creature as well, but that's not as amazing.)
Everything's in the news today

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2014, 02:15:37 am »

Also, a PSA: you don't really have to confine your commands to Dwarf Fortress. I can handle way more than that. Glafli's psychic powers are entirely outside the confines of adventure mode, for example.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2014, 12:01:59 am »

>  Overwhelmed with a vague sense of being cool from your scar and new GAUNTLET, flaunt your recent "victories" to assorted passerby (certainly they'll fawn over your amazing feats of SLAYING A RABBIT! And a night creature as well, but that's not as amazing.)

You are never speaking of the rabbit again.

You tell the Naspa (the prospitian) about the night creature, though. He doesn't seem impressed. You ask him what he thinks of you after the fact, and he gave you an expression. Screw it, emotionreading time. The emotions he's feeling tell me that he thinks you're brave. Aw. Also that you're a killer. Technically true, if not a very nice way to put it. You ask Leto, the nearby mace human. He says the same thing outright, so you're feeling pretty good about that.

Night creatures sound good to be getting our stab on on.

Then it's time to go on an adventure to warmer territory!

In a nearby town, you stop to get water. There's actual running liquid water here! It's a moving sight. You usually don't get that until summer, if at all.

You cross a river. All the blood is washed off. Wow you had a lot of blood on you. No wonder they knew you were a killer.

Now you're in evil territory. Weird purple trees everywhere. Here is where the night creature is.

There's two of them. You only expected one. You cleave one's arms off, but the other one gets to you and kicks you in the head. Your skull splatters into your brain. You die.

> Be Herido.

You cannot be Herido because Herido is enraged!

> Be Harlin

You are not enraged. You have to do something. You have to do something.

You focus all of your attention on Glafli. She has to live, this was all pointless if she doesn't, she has the best fighting skills of any of you, you'll all die if she doesn't!

She does.

>Be Glafli

You are know Glafli.

Holy shit you died. How the hell are you alive?

Harlin says not to worry about it. You kill the night man's wife. You can't stand. Harlin points at you. You can stand again. The Night Man is really wailing on Herido, who is putting up quite a fight. You cut him as much as you can until you finally get a good shot in on his neck, killing him. Fuck that guy in particular.

Now that that's over and Herido's woken up, you decide to speak to Harlin.

DIALOGLOG:

Well, ain't that something.

DIALOGLOG:

Well, you know more about your powers now!

What will you do?

(and yeah there aren't wheelchairs in dwarf fortress)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 02:36:59 pm by Putnam »

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 06:15:19 pm »

Rage, Life, and Heart. Oh dear

At least we don't have to worry about time or space shenanigans

Or doom player nonsense

Really this isn't as bad a combination I thought it was the more I think about it.

> You have to learn more! Who knows what secrets these powers could hold? You need to go see if anyone else beyond you lot have any peculiar powers as well.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2014, 06:47:46 pm »

Ooh, we're getting narrative up in here.

So, psychic powers can do things. That is a thing that we now know can be done. I'm still not sure what Herido can do exactly, if anything. I guess that's the kind of thing that'll be more obvious as things go on.

So for now..
>Loot viciously
>Take stock of any injuries
>Test powers. Try to make somebody sad or scared, see if it might be useful in trying to non-violently prevent conflict.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2014, 08:03:55 pm »

>Loot viciously

There's nothing to loot here! Night creatures are kinda boring, despite the whole "killed you" thing.

>Take stock of any injuries

Herido still has use of his legs! In fact, he seems fine save for a massive scar on his lower body. Harlin is still having issues, but you figure she'll be fine after... that thing she did.

>Test powers. Try to make somebody sad or scared, see if it might be useful in trying to non-violently prevent conflict.

You don't feel very comfortable using your powers on non-willing people, but if you find anything with a soul (there's nothing but undead around here) you'll see what you can do.

Quote from: cyberTripping
> You have to learn more! Who knows what secrets these powers could hold? You need to go see if anyone else beyond you lot have any peculiar powers as well.

You head to the nearest town, with only a light scuffle with a zombie barn owl along the way (You even beat your launch record!). You talk to a nearby troll who introduces himself as Eijora Endrau and calls you "Glafli Innarl, the Revered Cyclone of Targets". Uh, wow. You have a title now. You never thought you would have a title. That's pretty cool.

You ask people around for someone well-traveled and are lead to a Dersite named Esxac. You tell him of your powers and ask if there's anybody else he's seen that has similar powers. He says no, but he has a hunch as to what powers you're talking about. He's read about them, see. On engravings and artifacts made by masters of old. Lots of stuff like that. Hell, right over there, see that? Muse of Heart engraved on the wall. He figures it's something like that, especially since rage and life are definitely depicted in art.

Never thought they were real, though, he says. In fact, he's doubting you. You tell him oh yeah? He says yeah, I'm doubting you. You say you're on. He agrees that if he experiences an emotion he usually never does--fright--he will believe you. You make him feel it.

He starts flailing wildly. Holy crap, you say. You tone down the fright. He believes you now. Harlin appears a bit worried at first, then quickly elated.

DIALOGLOG:

Hope, you say, says Esxac. Yeah, that's one of them. Look at the walls, there's twelve of 'em. Huh, you say.

DIALOGLOG:

The engravings depict a whole bunch of heroes in different symbols and clothing designs. You see a lot of different designs for Heart. Harlin points out that some designs are shared between symbols, which suggests another system that categorizes people further into groups. You wonder which one you are.

You also wonder about that Unbreakable Katana of yours. You're not overtly skilled; you weren't skilled at all before you started training with it, and even now you're still only somewhat proficient at using it. You are freakishly fast and way stronger than the average troll, of course, but neither of those things are altogether too uncommon; there are usually two or three of such freakishly fast/strong trolls per town. The only thing that seems to be special about you is your heart powers.

Maybe that's all they needed, or even all that is needed.

You now know that you are what is quite possibly a legendary hero. Esxac didn't want to join you, but that was because he didn't feel powerful enough to join you, not because your band is too large.

What do you do?

(Author's note: I am so glad that I just happened to grab someone as smart as Harlin at first; I do try to limit the characters by their actual mental attributes and such, and Harlin is easily one of the smartest people on the planet in-universe, as it turns out, so I get to have her do some crazy deductions. Also, there are actual engravings in-game of god-tier sburb classes; that wasn't contrived, I modded those in years ago)

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2014, 08:41:38 pm »

(Spades-style "he says/you say" chain. I love you right now that was amazing.)

> Esxac is too weak to join you... So maybe you should find someone nearby who is strong enough. The "near" death experiences you've had might mean you need the extra firepower.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2014, 04:46:45 am »

So we're running around with a band of freakishly strong super-geniuses? I can't really disapprove of that.

>Go to the nearest tavern/temple/busyplace and talk to people, get a feel for the local problems, if there's any travelling soldiers to recruit, things like that.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2014, 05:09:39 am »

So we're running around with a band of freakishly strong super-geniuses? I can't really disapprove of that.

No, no, only Harlin's a supergenius. Herido is actually quite below-average and Glafli is only slightly above. Glafli is freakishly agile and as strong as Harlin is smart, but Harlin and Herido are about average in strength and ridiculously un-agile.

The others' attributes I hope to show more through story, heh.

Also, important: note that Harlin, despite having an incredible memory and superlative analytical ability can still be wrong if her data isn't good enough/her assumptions are wrong. Harlin only has average intuition; she needs to think to figure things out, and even then she might not be figuring things out the right way. I've tried to make sure that she notes that sometimes her data isn't good enough to make a strong conclusion, which is pretty much all the time now, since the characters have just recently learned of their powers. She doesn't give exposition, she gives speculation, especially this early. Any exposition would have to come from someone in the know, and even their ideas may be suspect.

Having a supergenius in the party basically forced me into attempting rational fic, heh.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 05:16:58 am by Putnam »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2014, 12:22:30 pm »

You are a worshipper of Hestur, the god of war.
INVENTORY:
Eternal Shame

Pray to Hestur by saying his (her?) name thrice, then equip Eternal Shame.
._.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6