Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Few Questions  (Read 1003 times)

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
Few Questions
« on: November 18, 2014, 11:16:17 am »

I'm attempting to mod in xenomorphs and I have a few questions that would be useful in knowing to help make this mod work.

1.) Is it possible to give a creature an attack that kills itself? Like a facehugger injecting the thing that causes a syndrome and then it dies.

2.) Is it possible for a syndrome to cause a creature to burst out of a creature's chest?

3.) Can creatures hatch from eggs that are dropped by trees?
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Few Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 11:22:21 am »

1) AFAIK no, at least not directly. With enough interaction hoola-hoops you can probably do something resembing that, though. Ask Putnam.

2) Interactions cannot in raw DF spawn creatures. You'd need to work some DFHack magic here. Ask Putnam.

3) Trees can drop eggs?
._.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 03:48:41 pm »

3) Trees can drop eggs?
Featherwood trees have growths called eggs.  They are a single material (as opposed to the three of a standard DF egg), and don't hatch.  The egg material's template gives it an IMPLIES_ANIMAL_KILL tag, but unless you're vegetarian I'd expect it to function like a normal bit of food.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 06:27:54 pm »

It is possible for vermin to die when they attack, but I don't know if it could be applied to bigger creatures. If you look at bees there's the tokens [VERMIN_BITE:50:stung:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:VENOM:LIQUID] and [DIE_WHEN_VERMIN_BITE] so if you're able to find a way for the facehuggers to be vermin then you could definitely do that.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 06:38:58 pm »

You'd need to work some DFHack magic here. Ask Putnam.

That's more Warmist's thing...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 02:40:46 am »

After some thought, it would be possible to have a script that creates a new creature at an egg location a short time after somebody walks by it.

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 10:34:13 pm »

You could create a duel-syndromed attack, one that infects the target with a CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION effect (moderate-to-long delay for the start, no end date) that would simulate the impregnation and conversion of the target (more of an X-Com Chryssalid than a Xenomorph, but it's something towards the right end), while the second syndrome would be like gnomeblight in that it has a very specific target and high lethality.