Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Pokemon Rivals Tournament #3, the rivalening  (Read 14650 times)

RoryTehNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Ingredients: High Fructose Corn Syrup
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Rivals Tournament- rules modification complete
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 12:16:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hippopotas, I choose you!

Moves:

Ability:

Nature:

Berry:

Let me know if I missed anything! I am excited for this! Sounds cool.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 12:40:18 pm by RoryTehNoob »
Signatures are displayed at teh bottom of each post or personal message.

Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 379

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 12:28:57 pm »

Nice to see this is picking up interest. I will keep vulpix. I only changed him since he wasn't in the list yet. (That surprised me, since Ninetales fell of OU with the weather nerf)

Cottonee is still awesome, but many of his best moves are learned with TMs.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:01:56 pm by Broken »
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 12:31:56 pm »

Oh man, I'm super psyched to see people joining. This is capped at 6 people though (and I'm participating), so I think we only have one slot left.

Bluerobin - Porygon
Broken - Vulpix
Orb - Trapinch
Urist Imiknorris - Noibat
RoryTehNoob - Hippopotas

Edit: Also, I'm going to overhaul the first couple posts once I have everything settled, so that information is more easily found. Sorry for the dust in the meantime.

Edit2: Also also, I'm going to ban any moves that do fixed amounts of damage on starters. No Dragon Rage/Sonic Boom/etc, just because they're powerful to the point of unfairness in the first round. Ones that scale with your level are ok, though, because they obviously won't be as useful.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 05:37:54 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 01:31:02 pm »

Moves that are can be learned by the evolution of a pokemon, but only at "start" level (that in game can only be learned with heart scales) can only be learned though use of custom passes, right?

Also, i suppose we will use ORAS learnets?

Hippopotas, I choose you!

Let the weather wars begin!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:50:56 pm by Broken »
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 01:56:00 pm »

Yes, unfortunately there isn't really a good way to deal with those types of moves otherwise. It's going to be something I have to plan around as well, since two of the Pokemon I'm learning have moves I'm going to want that are learned that way. I think we should have enough Custom Passes, but if that ends up being something that's more annoying than strategic I'll rework it after the tournament.

And yes to ORAS learnsets. ORAS is probably going to mess with this tournament a fair amount unfortunately, but I'll try and be reasonable with decisions related to that. As it is I've left Pokemon that are getting changes (like Buneary and Swablu) on the list of available starters, even though there's a good change some of those mega evolutions are going to be OU or Uber.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

RoryTehNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 02:21:09 pm »

How do the routes work? Will we be given any information about the routes before we choose, or are the Pokemon on each route randomized?

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 02:26:57 pm »

Edit: In case you're interested, here's what the "giganto list of settings where you could find every mon in existence" looks like. The route lists will be built from that!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 02:33:33 pm »

Robin stepped out of his apartment, recently empty after everything was moved to storage, and hefted his backpack. It was a less-than-perfect day to start out on a journey, as the rain started falling, but the excitement of getting his own Pokemon and starting a Tourney-Journey was enough to keep his spirits high. Tourney-Journey, the sheer amount of marketing that dripped off of that name was almost unbelievable, but they were going to give him a Pokemon, so Robin wasn't complaining.

"Alright, I just have to stop off at the distributor on the way out of town to get my Pokemon and I'll be set to head off." Robin remarked.

The Tourney-Journey was how new trainers were licensed in this region, making sure that Pokemon weren't being caught willy-nilly and breeding strong camaraderie, or rivalries, among trainers. Every month, six new trainers from a wide range of ages were accepted into the program, given Pokemon that had been caught but unused by past trainers, and sent on their way. The routes between Einpointe and Zwo Cliffs were where trainers started really building their teams, and often by the time they left Zwo Cliffs they had been recruited for the full Tournament portion of the Journey.

Robin arrived at the small building at the edge of town that housed the TJ Distributor, knocked, and entered.
"Hello there Mr. -"
"Robin Greene, I'm one of the six trainers this month."
"Indeed you are! Just let me know which Pokemon you'd like and you're set to start your Journey."
"Well, they might be a little rare, but I've always been fascinated with Porygon. Do you have one?"
"As luck would have it, I have one of every Pokemon on the list we sent you."

"beepbeep. boop."

Porygon acquired!
=================================================================================
And with that, I'm set to go as well. I'm going to keep my teams here for easy referencing and to keep track of my items and passes. I'm going to ask people to post your Pokemon's natures and moves, as well as items you purchase and what you use your Custom Passes on, just to make sure rules are being adhered to. You can either do it in the thread, as some of you have already, or you can just enter them in new columns on that sheet. You're welcome to post the info after the round if you want to keep strategies secret, though!

Spoiler: Info (click to show/hide)

How do the routes work? Will we be given any information about the routes before we choose, or are the Pokemon on each route randomized?
So yeah, as you can see there's a gigantic table I'm making. It'll be parsed down to have lists of available Pokemon you can choose on each route. I'm trying to have it make sense so you should be able to just think, "Oh, there's a cave, I can probably get a Geodude, a Zubat, a fossil Pokemon, or maybe a Machop. I will say now, though, that there are going to be some weird things popping up if there are unique features of the route, so it might be worth skimming through the lists once they're built to see if you can get something you didn't expect.

Edit: Also, you're welcome to wait until I have the map and routes done until you choose your starter. It's a strategically sound move and I won't be starting the tournament in earnest until I'm done with setup anyway.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 05:45:18 pm by Bluerobin »

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 02:53:08 pm »

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 02:07:50 pm by Broken »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 05:47:39 pm »

Map!
Spoiler: Big map image (click to show/hide)
As you may be able to guess, the first three routes we'll have are Ocean, Beach, and Plains/Garden focused. The next three routes are Snowy/Mountain, Mountain/Spirit, and Desert. Hopefully with that basic info you'll be able to start brainstorming some possibilities. I'll have actually lists of available Pokemon out in the next couple days, but at least with this you have something.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:54:39 pm by Bluerobin »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 01:38:35 pm »

Vulpix learns Flamethrower by level-up.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

RoryTehNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 01:46:55 pm »

Vulpix learns Flamethrower by level-up.

You can use heat wave as the egg move I think.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 10:29:10 am »

Hmm... I might change up my starter. I've been looking around strategies a little and swapping things up could let me use a bunch of Pokemon I've wanted to try for a while. If anyone wants to change things, just make sure it happens before the tournament starts.

Speaking of that, I'm going to say everything will be ready by next week, so we'll be able to start after Thanksgiving in the US. The big table o' locations is almost done (I just need to do Gen 5) then after that I'm going to compile route lists and triple check the rules to make sure things make sense. If anyone has any questions or concerns about things ("uhh, if x and y happen, what should we do?") please let me know now before everything starts!

Also, there's still room for one more person, so if anyone (Culise maybe? You said you might be interested) wants to hop in, feel free to call your spot now.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 02:22:49 pm »

I've had a few questions about rule clarifications already, so I figured I'd post them here for people.

1) Egg moves, as far as this tournament is concerned, are the moves in the "egg moves" lists on sites like Bulbapedia or PokemonDB. They're moves that are not learned by TM, Tutor, or level up (by the Pokemon or its evolutions), but can be learned by breeding with other species.

2) You don't start with any Custom Passes. It's a little unclear by omission, so there's that cleared up.

3) You could trade TMs and Pokemon in the last iteration of the Rivalry tournament and the question was raised whether that's still the case. I was going to say no because it's excessively complicated, but after some thought I'm going to say YES this is allowed. However, you can only do it between rounds and if trades are being done, they must be declared in the thread before they happen. This theoretically allows you to buy a TM with a Pass, use it, and trade it all between the end of one round and the beginning of the next. Keep in mind though, that you no longer have access to it unless you trade back or buy it again, so be careful.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2014, 03:35:32 pm »

First off, did someone send me an email with a request to talk? I got an email from a random person I didn't know and figured one of you may have gotten my email address from one of the docs I shared. If so, send me a PM and I'll respond!

Second, EVERYTHING'S DONE! OP is going to be edited in a bit (once all the copy/paste is done) up to date and we can get this ball rolling. I'd like one more player, but we can go on with 5 if we don't get one. We'll start officially on Monday. Make sure your Pokemon Showdown stuff is all set by then!

Edit: I did end up changing my starter to Porygon. Edited my intro post above and the teams spreadsheet as well with moves, etc.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 05:55:18 pm by Bluerobin »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14