Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28

Author Topic: Nobody ever freaking attacks me anymore in 2014  (Read 67494 times)

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Nobody ever freaking attacks me anymore in 2014
« Reply #345 on: July 03, 2015, 01:34:48 pm »

Like, seriously. On my last fortress I was attacked by 2 necromancers and 20+ undead after only three months, I had barely set up the basics for the fortress, not expecting such an early attack. The second siege with another 2 necromancers and 50+ undead came before the elven caravan - so at the start of the second year.
I decided to start a new fortress in the same world after that, also to see how long it will last or how it will "develop" when the history generation takes over. I wasn't entirely convinced by the design I used either, though it appeared to be quite efficient - but hard to set up, lots of work to be put in it.

That is not Fun. It just forces you to turtle, use overpowered traps, and see your first migrant waves get brutally killed.

A siege at the end of second year is fine. A siege at three months is just ridiculous.
Yeah, I was being a bit sarcastic, having two considerably big sieges within pretty much "the first year" is just too much, unless you really want a challenge - or as you put it: it forces you to turtle immediatly. Depending on what you want to do it might be interesting, but for any "normal" fortress, it's just pointless to embark near a tower.

Still need to see if Goblin sieges pop up for my new fortress. (First have to start that though...haven't even embarked yet, though I know where I want to embark.)
It'll have a requirement of 50 dwarves for sieges to start, as well as having 3 Goblin entities near.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 03, 2015, 03:06:11 pm »

... having two considerably big sieges within pretty much "the first year" is just too much, unless you really want a challenge - or as you put it: it forces you to turtle immediatly. Depending on what you want to do it might be interesting, but for any "normal" fortress, it's just pointless to embark near a tower.
IIRC there was discussed addition of an option on how many sieges should hit you and Today said this will be looked at during one of the next development runs, the one which should add some starting scenarios. I am now unable to find the direct link, though. Maybe somewhere in FotF?
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 03, 2015, 05:05:44 pm »

I wish Toady would implement some kind of aggressivity and playerfocus variable for the entities definitions, so you would be able to make an entity more or less peaceful (with the extreme being between "willing to send armies every month" to "nearly never send any army") and for when they're at war how much they're willing to focus their attention on player fort (extreme would be focus their army only on player forts or "nearly never go for player fort")

So one could tailor the entity behaviours regarding war and siege to their liking and adjust then the game to between peaceful and siege nightmare

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 03, 2015, 08:31:29 pm »

I wish Toady would implement some kind of aggressivity and playerfocus variable for the entities definitions, so you would be able to make an entity more or less peaceful (with the extreme being between "willing to send armies every month" to "nearly never send any army") and for when they're at war how much they're willing to focus their attention on player fort (extreme would be focus their army only on player forts or "nearly never go for player fort")

So one could tailor the entity behaviours regarding war and siege to their liking and adjust then the game to between peaceful and siege nightmare
So maybe like, [HASSIEGE:#], # being the time (in months) between every siege? So [HASSIEGE:12] would be once a year, [HASSIEGE:6] twice a year, [HASSIEGE:24] every other year, [HASSIEGE:0] never, etc.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 03, 2015, 08:32:47 pm »

that's really gamey

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 03, 2015, 09:42:27 pm »

It's no more "gamey" than
[TEMPERATURE:NO]
[WEATHER:NO]
[ECONOMY:YES]
[INVADERS:NO]
[CAVEINS:NO]
[ARTIFACTS:YES]

And allow more control when modding new species and entities.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 03, 2015, 09:53:24 pm »

Could also of course be less specific; instead of months it's by seasons so it could happen any time during a 3 month period, etc. etc. Just trying to provide a way to fine tune it other than Yes/No. Especially with the current Fun undead sieges that can overwhelm players easily (although do undead even have a modifiable raw? Never checked).
Granted, Toady could (probably) find a different fix for this, but it's something that could appeal to modders if they really need it

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 04, 2015, 01:22:42 am »

Does goblin ambush still exist?

I usually get siege very soon after population exceeds 80, but I've never seen a goblin ambush. I check civilization list now and then, so it's unlikely that they came and left undiscovered.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 04, 2015, 02:31:52 am »

I have a feeling that ambushes are actually no longer in the game, since any army invasion is counted as a siege AFAIK.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 04, 2015, 05:11:06 am »

Ambushes happen. But not with goblins.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 04, 2015, 10:38:57 am »

never saw a single goblin ambush in df2014
Either it's just buggy or it's been removed, but i find no trace of such removal in the various 40.x release changelogs.

For several 40.x versions, sieges were even more bugged than they are (there's a pathing bug Toady identified in 40.24 and will be fixed for next version) currently and goblins were simply never coming at all, so it's possible gob ambushes were afflicted the same, assuming Toady didn't just removed them without telling in changelog of course, but never got any fix.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 04, 2015, 12:43:55 pm »

900k isn't even close to "absurdly" wealthy my friend, 10mil+ is getting there...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 09, 2015, 09:38:11 am »

I just got my second siege, now in Y3 or 4 . . .

The first was 12 gobbos in 2 squads.  This current one is 26 or so . . .  even with a few recruits sprinkled in :X

And while we are relatively 'wealthy'  (~400K) and have over 100 dwarves, we dont even have proper room set up for anyone who doesn require a special office.  Dorms and winding tunnels that extend from top to bottom.

The gobbos are also going almost their max distance to get to me.  And several juicy human settlements are nearby.  And elven, but (worldgen) elves are beastly for my worlds, what with their magic to make elephants the number 1 killer of demons.  LOL @ elves sending packs of enlarged and enraged suicide elephants at demons.  They wreck quite a few gobbo civs that way.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 09:40:08 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 09, 2015, 10:26:41 am »

never saw a single goblin ambush in df2014
Either it's just buggy or it's been removed, but i find no trace of such removal in the various 40.x release changelogs.

Goblins don't have the [AMBUSHER] tag. That they previously sent ambushes in spite of lack of the tag might have been the bug.

The very first goblin siege is almost always a token "scout force" of maybe ten goblins. That's been so in DF2012 as well.

I have a fort in a very old world with no remaining civ apart from goblins (my fort is reviving the dwarven civ). That one just got its second siege, and the first sizable one - 28 gobbos. Not particularly big, but quite enough for my four capable militiadwarfs (one of which was off getting plastered while the battle took place).

Another fort got the second "siege" of a small ranger squad. The challenge there is not dying of boredom while they sit by the traps and can't decide whether to advance or piss off - for two months. The only really interesting attack was a visit from a nearby tower, with about forty units.

My experience is fairly mixed - there seem to be fewer and less linear hostile activity, but forts with no action are in the minority. Having a world with no "distractions" for the gobbos probably helps (i.e. no non-gobbo civs apart from yours).

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 09, 2015, 12:49:45 pm »

I'm at my pop cap of 120, with 3.6 million in wealth, and I murdered all the elves that came. I haven't seen any elf forces show up at my door despite the fact that we are at war. Goblins haven't even sent snatchers yet.

My main way of culling populations is ignoring mandates.
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28