Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28

Author Topic: Nobody ever freaking attacks me anymore in 2014  (Read 67171 times)

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nobody ever freaking attacks me anymore in 2014
« Reply #390 on: November 09, 2015, 09:21:14 pm »

From what I've read elsewhere, the invaders also rely on natural population growth and recruitment in the current DF version, rather than armies just suddenly materializing out of nowhere; so, after a bad defeat it can take a LONG time for their army numbers to grow again.
This might also explain the size of subsequent sieges I've experienced; in my current game, the first siege was quite large(30), then there were a few very minor sieges(2 & 5 besiegers), followed by another sizeable siege several years later.
I've had a thought: The problem isn't with the population per se, seeing as Dark Pits are usually so crowded as to cause significant lag. So it would seem to be with the lack of military goblins. Might modding goblins and trolls to be naturally proficient with weapons result in larger sieges?
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 17, 2015, 03:44:41 am »

From what I've read elsewhere, the invaders also rely on natural population growth and recruitment in the current DF version, rather than armies just suddenly materializing out of nowhere; so, after a bad defeat it can take a LONG time for their army numbers to grow again.
This might also explain the size of subsequent sieges I've experienced; in my current game, the first siege was quite large(30), then there were a few very minor sieges(2 & 5 besiegers), followed by another sizeable siege several years later.
I've had a thought: The problem isn't with the population per se, seeing as Dark Pits are usually so crowded as to cause significant lag. So it would seem to be with the lack of military goblins. Might modding goblins and trolls to be naturally proficient with weapons result in larger sieges?

I have noticed that given them natural skill in discipline and weapons doesn't make too much of difference in siege quality, sadly.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 17, 2015, 06:25:34 pm »

I have noticed that given them natural skill in discipline and weapons doesn't make too much of difference in siege quality, sadly.

You could always replace the gobljn species with dragons/rocs/bronze colossi.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 17, 2015, 06:52:10 pm »

Is this simple/not-buggy to do?

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 17, 2015, 09:06:09 pm »

Is this simple/not-buggy to do?
It should be simplicity itself. If you want them to equip weapons and armor, you'll have to go to a little more trouble, but only a little.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 17, 2015, 11:23:04 pm »

anything with hands can have their creature id swapped for the gobbos in  entity files,  and they will use weapons.  critters without graspers need those, but will run fine in worldgen.

suddenly minotaur baby nappers
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 11:24:50 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 18, 2015, 12:07:36 am »

Could someone tell me how to accomplish this?
Is it as simple as changing [goblin] to [minotaur] in the raws under the category "evil"?

edit: Also, do you have to make the changes in multiple places?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 18, 2015, 01:20:45 am »

Yep, under entity EVIL change GOBLIN to MINOTAUR. Just the one place, entity_default.txt

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 02, 2015, 11:48:49 am »

So have anyone got a siege in 42.01 so far ?

On my test fortress i got 2 sieges in the  2 first years,
the first was an undead siege

and the second was a regular one.

The problem is that in both case, the sieging army exited the map immediately when i unpaused without even moving inside of it.

Not sure if it's some bizarre game mechanic there or if it's another bug, so has anyone got a real siege in the 42.01 fortress so far ?

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 02, 2015, 12:06:44 pm »

-

-

The problem is that in both case, the sieging army exited the map immediately when i unpaused without even moving inside of it.

Not sure if it's some bizarre game mechanic there or if it's another bug, so has anyone got a real siege in the 42.01 fortress so far ?

This has happened to me in 2014 a few times so I don't think it's unique to this release. My guess is pathing issues, emotions, or leader issues.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 02, 2015, 12:07:52 pm »

Or they were just on their way to another place and stumbled upon your fort by accident.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 02, 2015, 12:25:34 pm »

Or they were just on their way to another place and stumbled upon your fort by accident.

I thought this was generally the case with observations like that.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 02, 2015, 12:31:21 pm »

I got several "just passing by" cases in DF2014, but everytime i noticed them to wander on the map a bit before they were moving away (in the case of undead they were usually forgetting a few undead behind that were then unable to move away from their spawning spot for the whole game duration).

In the case i mention, there was no wandering a bit , it was immediate exiting when i unpaused after the siege announcement.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #403 on: December 04, 2015, 12:22:10 pm »

plenty of people, sieges are way more common now.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 29, 2015, 08:47:58 am »

I think this thread can die now that it is almost 2016. Sieges are fixed now.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28