Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Tergel, "The beard of all beards" [12x12][16x16]  (Read 69258 times)

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
Re: Tergel, "The beard of all beards" [12x12][16x16]
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 03:45:38 pm »

I am always an admirer. So far the Gobbos are my favorite :D

May I offer a suggestion?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Keep up the most excellent work! You certainly have an eye for this.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 03:47:36 pm by Rogue Yun »

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

CowThing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 04:12:15 pm »

Thank you all!
I do agree the elves are too fat, I've made them a bit skinner now, I also made the kobolds skinnier, since they're tiny.

I am always an admirer. So far the Gobbos are my favorite :D

May I offer a suggestion?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Keep up the most excellent work! You certainly have an eye for this.

Those look good, thank you! I'll try them out, and add them next release. When I was converting the tiles to 16x16 I did have some trouble with the water tiles, they always looked a bit off, I just never got around to improving them.

CowThing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 04:32:34 pm »

Made some changes to the new graphic tiles. Made the elves and kobolds skinnier, also changed the undead a bit.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 09:37:12 am »

Those are cute as fuck and they look great with the colors. Good job at making the races look distinct.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

txtsd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I have a quest!
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2015, 02:38:23 am »

Hi CowThing!

I really like the walls in Tergel. But there is one thing that puts me off. When they are engraved, all the magenta/transparent bits become bright grey and the walls look ugly like that. I've been trying various Tile Magic methods to get the walls to look the same when engraved except for some very light dithering within the actual wall texture but I haven't been successful at all.

Is there any way to achieve this?

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2015, 04:38:48 am »

Hi CowThing!

I really like the walls in Tergel. But there is one thing that puts me off. When they are engraved, all the magenta/transparent bits become bright grey and the walls look ugly like that. I've been trying various Tile Magic methods to get the walls to look the same when engraved except for some very light dithering within the actual wall texture but I haven't been successful at all.

You might want to look how it's done in grim fortress (that recent version with ironhand-style walls, so you may take old ironhand too). About a month ago i examined it in photoshop and was a bit surprised about it. Wall tiles, you have described, are based there on a good combination of grey background and transparency
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Duerer TWBT tileset v.0.6.A

txtsd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I have a quest!
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2015, 04:51:41 am »

Hi CowThing!

You might want to look how it's done in grim fortress (that recent version with ironhand-style walls, so you may take old ironhand too). About a month ago i examined it in photoshop and was a bit surprised about it. Wall tiles, you have described, are based there on a good combination of grey background and transparency

Grim Fortress's engravings are what I'm trying to replicate, but that only works because the wall tiles in GF occupy all the pixels in the 12x12 space.
In Tergel, wall tiles don't occupy all the pixels in the 12x12 space, so the transparent bits end up showing the engraving color, which is what I'm trying to avoid, and am unable to do.

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 11:05:52 am »

Grim Fortress's engravings are what I'm trying to replicate, but that only works because the wall tiles in GF occupy all the pixels in the 12x12 space.
In Tergel, wall tiles don't occupy all the pixels in the 12x12 space, so the transparent bits end up showing the engraving color, which is what I'm trying to avoid, and am unable to do.

You can put the space you don't want to change, when engraving, black.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 11:08:08 am by Vanst7 »

CowThing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2015, 02:29:52 pm »

Hi CowThing!

I did notice this as well with engraved walls. I'll look into it, but I don't know if I can really modify it to look good, I don't what to add black around the walls because that would look strange with the colors I use.

Hello everyone! Sorry I haven't been around for a while, I finally got back to updating the pack, here are the changes in the current release:

• Added graphics for Dwarves, Humans, Elves, Goblins, and Kobolds. I haven't been able to test these fully, but I have based them on other graphical sets, so they should work fine. If you notice anything wrong please let me know.
• Added an alternative optional darker color scheme.
• Modified some tiles, most notably the walls, they now have grey solid sides rather than the white striped sides.
• Modified the solid white tile (used for designations and solid colors) to have a light grey stippled border (same as the change Taffer made in his tileset).
• Fixed a few problems with text in the 16x size
• Replaced the water/sand tiles with the ones Rogue Yun made earlier. I also made 12x versions of it.

I also stopped including alternative tiles for now, because it was taking a lot of time trying to get them all together, and I wasn't happy with how they looked.
I haven't been able to update the screenshots in the main post either, I'll work on that now that the update is released.

CowThing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 11:32:38 am »

I've been working on an update. I've started messing with using Text Will Be Text.

A few objects will have custom tiles. For example, tables and chairs.

You can also see the up/down stairs in that picture, they will have a custom tile too, as well as bins.

Tracks will have custom tiles too

And I'll include the multilevel settings I use. I think multilevel looks best when it's got the sky color overlaying, makes it look foggy. Just making lower levels darker is too subtle.

There are still a few other tiles I haven't shown yet, like doors and pump screw.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 04:49:51 pm »

Looking good.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 06:03:48 am »

Okay wow. I'm all for vanilla ASCII aesthetics but this looks very gentle. I'll give it a try! :)

CowThing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 03:33:07 pm »

Looking good.
Thank you! I hope to have this update out this week or next week.

Okay wow. I'm all for vanilla ASCII aesthetics but this looks very gentle. I'll give it a try! :)
I hope you like it! I've tried to keep it gentle on the eyes, and easy to read.

CowThing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2015, 08:59:41 am »

Sorry it took so long to update. I got distracted (you can blame Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate).

But the update is out now!

• Added TWBT support!
  Includes:
- Custom tiles for bins, stairs, pump screws, chairs, tables, doors(a custom door for each material, wood, stone, and metal), and minecart rails.
- A "plain text" art file, which changes a few tiles that normally look weird in menus because of the pixel art (most notably '<' and '>' tiles).
- A file with the Multilevel view settings I use.

• Modified walls and dwarves to look less weird with a non-black background. (Still looks a little weird)
• Small tweaks to a few tiles.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2015, 06:34:19 am »

But the update is out now!
• Added TWBT support!
Nice, thank you, changes like these make this my favorite ASCII tileset!
I suggest to edit tile 248 in the Text tileset, it's used by the Extended item viewscreen dfhack script to display material temperature.
And the bundled init.txt is not configured properly for twbt mode, you need to modify:
Code: [Select]
[FONT:16x16_Tergel_Text.png]
[FULLFONT:16x16_Tergel_Text.png]
[GRAPHICS:YES]
[PRINT_MODE:TWBT]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4