Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Tergel, "The beard of all beards" [12x12][16x16]  (Read 69084 times)

CowThing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tergel, "The beard of all beards" [12x12][16x16]
« on: November 18, 2014, 03:37:50 pm »

A simple Dwarf Fortress.

Download ▼
v5.0

The current release is for Dwarf Fortress version 0.42.02. However Tergel will most likely work fine for any past or future versions of Dwarf Fortress.

Text Will Be Text is now supported!

Tergel is an ASCII tileset combined with simple pixel art. I wanted to enhance the ASCII feel, while keeping the game readable, and giving the game a happier feel. This tileset was derived from Simple Mood by Rogue Yun. Also inspired by Taffer, Jolly Bastion, Quale's "scroll-o-sprites", and many others.

Screenshots:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Installation:

Other Info:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 06:39:25 pm by CowThing »

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
Re: Tergel, "The beard of all beards" [12x12][16x16]
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 03:56:20 pm »

It looks very good! Well done :D

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

CowThing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 04:32:13 pm »

It looks very good! Well done :D

Thank you!

Kynsmer

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 02:51:15 am »

It's always lovely to see a new, nicely presented tileset here on the graphics subforum. The font doesn't quite align with my tastes, but that's an easy customization with the TWBT plugin. I'm a big fan of smiley dwarf tiles, though, and yours are just great.

Overall: charming, clean, and surprisingly unique! Nice work :) I'll definitely give this a go.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:55:43 am by Kynsmer »

CowThing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 12:05:31 pm »

It's always lovely to see a new, nicely presented tileset here on the graphics subforum. The font doesn't quite align with my tastes, but that's an easy customization with the TWBT plugin. I'm a big fan of smiley dwarf tiles, though, and yours are just great.

Overall: charming, clean, and surprisingly unique! Nice work :) I'll definitely give this a go.
Thank you. I'm glad you like the faces, I've seen a few people not really liking them, I'll make an alternative for the faces eventually though.

Also;
I've uploaded a small update. I made the font names capitalized properly, so anyone using a case-sensitive platform shouldn't have a problem.

CowThing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 10:09:16 am »

Hey guys, in other forums I've seen a few people saying they're not fans of the dwarf faces in the tileset, so I've made some alternatives.

Here are examples:

Do you guys like these? Is there anything I should change? These will be alternates, so the original faces will stay as default.

Kaiji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 02:34:06 pm »

Love it! Can't wait to try it out.  ;D

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 03:00:01 pm »

Do you guys like these? Is there anything I should change? These will be alternates, so the original faces will stay as default.
The soldiers are perfect, maybe for the civilians a bit shading on the beards'd be good to make them more dwarfy, and not like 'little grey man'. But overall very good, a bit derp, but cute. :)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 03:09:41 pm »

I like your set, and I prefer these alternatives to the faces. I do agree that the beards should be shaded. It looks more like a pointed chin than a beard at the moment, I think.

Any chance of whipping up some comparable tiles for the "main races" of DF, or are you keeping this strictly a tileset? (Humans, elves, goblins, kobolds)

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 04:10:48 pm »

I recommend to give the beards a transparency (if you are planning on applying shading). Now and again farmers will go negative (when sleeping on brown beds or standing over another creature). Without a beard transparency they might look a little out of place. But (of course) I also understand the 1bit theme. This is a nifty trick to pull off just using white. But, like the others. I like it. I've always been more fond of humanoid dwarves than their floating head counterparts.

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

CowThing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 04:25:32 pm »

Thank you, guys! I was worried the beards would look too much like pointed chins, I was kind of hesitant to do shading because I've been keeping the tileset just pure white, with no partial transparency or shading. But I will add some shading and see how it looks.

Any chance of whipping up some comparable tiles for the "main races" of DF, or are you keeping this strictly a tileset? (Humans, elves, goblins, kobolds)

I would like to! I always think about adding some graphics when I see your tileset. I'll definitely try to.

I recommend to give the beards a transparency (if you are planning on applying shading). Now and again farmers will go negative (when sleeping on brown beds or standing over another creature). Without a beard transparency they might look a little out of place.

Yeah that is a problem I've noticed with some tilesets and graphics. But even with shaded beards I'll be keeping the eyes and mouth hollow, so a sleeping farmer will still have a visible face.

bughunter

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is like a baby, it has layers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 11:08:35 pm »

Very nice! I might use it when I am playing for funsies and not recording :D
Anyone else here want some kitten leather thongs?

CowThing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 02:28:08 pm »

I've updated the tileset! The new dwarf tiles are in, and I've decided to make them the default. The old faces are now alternatives. I also did a few tiny tweaks with other tiles.

And now, a preview of what I'm working on next:

Default |Military |Royal |Undead
Dwarf
Human
Elf
Goblin
Kobold

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 02:54:08 pm »

I have a new favorite tileset. :) Added to Macnewbie as default look for this version, looking forward to new graphic sprites.
If I may, the elves look a bit fat, the rest I cool.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 02:56:20 pm by fricy »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 03:26:11 pm »

I've updated the tileset! The new dwarf tiles are in, and I've decided to make them the default. The old faces are now alternatives. I also did a few tiny tweaks with other tiles.

And now, a preview of what I'm working on next:

Default |Military |Royal |Undead
Dwarf
Human
Elf
Goblin
Kobold

They look fantastic. I do agree that the elves look a little "fat", but it's otherwise very good.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4