Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 52644 times)

Ambidextrous

• Bay Watcher
  • Actually no, not really.
    • View Profile
Re: [Interest] Farming Village Bloodline
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2014, 04:09:35 am »

Hmm, I'd like to see where this goes.
Can I be dwarfed as a mason or engraver?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2014, 08:04:18 am »

5-2-0 Subsurface mining is in.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2014, 09:03:25 am »

Regenned with Overseer noble, rules for overseers added, rules for industries updated to reflect subsurface mining. There are now 21 industries

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2014, 10:40:07 am »

I am concerned about the survivability of the fort town, since there are no walls or gobottlers cage traps.  Are military Dwarves the only way to stop invasions?  No wooden palisades or the like?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2014, 11:15:02 am »

Can I take a turn after ES?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2014, 11:16:18 am »

I am concerned about the survivability of the fort town, since there are no walls or gobottlers cage traps.  Are military Dwarves the only way to stop invasions?  No wooden palisades or the like?

That's an excellent thing to be concerned about. There are still houses and noble estates to offer very limited defense options. Any noble estate can have a perimeter wall/drawbridge setup and a dwarven home can be protected against non building destroyers with a door. Because basements offer limited storage surviving under lockdown for any length of time is next to impossible. Battles tend to be VERY bloody instead of a siege meaning "pull the lever, maybe assemble the militia,business as usual" it means "PANIC! NO DEAR GOD WHAT DO I DO!?" It's atrociously unpleasant. 

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2014, 12:09:36 pm »

I think people misread the poll and made the wrong choices  >.<
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2014, 12:12:57 pm »

I think people misread the poll and made the wrong choices  >.<

what do you mean

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2014, 12:14:28 pm »

They all meant to choose 'no mining' or 'quarry mining' only.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2014, 12:27:30 pm »

If no communal property is to be a thing, I recommend you build a castle, assign it to your baron/count/duke, fill it with food and retreat all the villagers into it during sieges.

Shit just got medieval.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2014, 12:28:49 pm »

They all meant to choose 'no mining' or 'quarry mining' only.

Not I.  Twisty turny mines for the sole purpose of digging up minerals and such seemed very industrious to me.

As long as the entrance is hacked into the side of a hill, and they don't breach the cavern.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2014, 12:34:27 pm »

Okay.  I wish we had some cave-in mechanics, some instability issues and whatnot.

---

Can you upload the world?  We could pick sites . . .
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:36:29 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2014, 12:38:59 pm »

Not I.  Twisty turny mines for the sole purpose of digging up minerals and such seemed very industrious to me.

As long as the entrance is hacked into the side of a hill, and they don't breach the cavern.

Should I just remove the caverns?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2014, 12:53:57 pm »

Okay.  I wish we had some cave-in mechanics, some instability issues and whatnot.

---

Can you upload the world?  We could pick sites . . .
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is the site I'm thinking about it's got generally good conditions and I've already got a small narrative built around it. I'd really prefer if we use it but if the group doesn't like I'll post the world and we can select it like that. 

Edit: This is the story I'm working with currently

The following is a transcript of a parchment found neatly rolled and sealed with [color of favorite material] wax and a copper coin pressed into the seal.

To whatever bureaucrat, administrator, notary or other such stooge may find this letter:

You are an idiot and I hate you. Please enjoy the affixed as my generous and voluntary contribution to His Majesty's Tax Service. May you and everyone you love fall into a burning coal seam and may the molten contents of your coin purse fuse with your seared flesh.

-Sincerely yours Koreg [Lastname]

I am assuming that you are not by chance the specific ingrate who spent several months wasting my time and drew up the terms of taxation for my proposed expedition and as such may benefit from a more complete explanation

I am Koreg and it is my destiny to build the greatest dwarven settlement of our age. My dream of our people realizing their glory has been sabotgaed by your incompetence and insistence on following every fragment of bureaucratic minutia. I paid your idiot fees and underwent your idiot inspections and waited for your idiot institutions to pass around writs, contracts, commissions, and all other manner of idiot documents until you returned to me with the disgusting rate at which my new fortress would be taxed.

I decline to be robbed of my dream or my fortune and I shall now explain to you precisely why your and an idiot and I am not. I'm sure you know that everything east of the Balanced Lake and north of the mighty river Distantpearl is ,as a matter of our tenuous peace, the domain of the elves of Mithithiu ,that is the forest retreat of Ringsnarled if you are too stupid to have learned the language of our enemy.  You may also know that that the frozen wastes of the Cyclopean Tundra are treated by the elves of Mithuthithu as an impassable barrier. What I suspect you do not know is that further north, beyond the Cyclopean Tundra, a freak weather phenomanae (the details of which I will not deign to explain to you) results in a small temperate region that is thoroughly untouched by dirty elven hands.

This land is completely outside dwarven influence meaning it cannot be subject to dwarven law. 'But wait', I'm sure the words are forming inside your cramped skull and your thick tongue is already coating them drool and stupidity in preparation to dash my valorious ambitions once again, 'Dwarven fortresses are codified in our laws as being dwarven land! Should you build a fortress in this region you would still be forced to pay into the fund which allows me to purchase the goats I use for companionship and further still it would violate our agreement with the elves who I am too fearful to wage righteous war against.'

Don't worry your tiny head, you see Dwarven law has a specific definition of “Fortress” and I have determined that I have no interest in building one. Instead, I plan to found a village. This brings me to my next point of order:

I hereby renounce my citizenship

Clearly there is no possible way you to steal the wealth of a village (not fortress) created by a non citizen in land you have no claim to. This will technically be an encroachment onto elvish land but it is so thoroughly unutilized by them that I can't imagine they'll raise a fuss and may not even be aware it's technically theirs. Your draconian extractive institutions of taxation and coercion have exhausted my patience with you and in time you will learn to recognize your mistakes when other enterprising and dynamic personalities leave your ridiculous laws and traditions behind. But fear not, as Overseer and Supreme Leader of this new society I extend you my warmest wishes and open my arms to welcome any of your civilization who wish to live among true dwarves and free from financial tyranny. Further, should the king come to the new seat of my power himself and request residence I shall consider affirming my citizenship once again to grace your pathetic civilization with my brilliance.

Good Day.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:18:22 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2014, 01:19:40 pm »

Looks like a fine place to me! Is there a lot of elevation?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 54