Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 52672 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Villagers Wanted!)
« Reply #630 on: January 16, 2015, 02:26:01 pm »

5x5 sounds perfectly adequate.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 16, 2015, 02:45:08 pm »

Just popping in to ask about how ol' Mort is doing?  Did he ever get that temple/catacomb job?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 16, 2015, 03:37:00 pm »

Just popping in to ask about how ol' Mort is doing?  Did he ever get that temple/catacomb job?
He's doing just fine. He lives in a tiny shack and I recently set him to be the only dwarf with burial active. HugoLuman is now sponsoring LuckyKobold with 25 tiles.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 16, 2015, 04:01:47 pm »

wierd gritted his teeth.  Curse his armok-damned bad luck; a fey mood being shamelessly exploited?  That Koreg and his "shortcuts."

In a sudden moment of clarity, it dawned on him that the actual laws of nevertaxed states that the requirements for industry ownership involved more than just being legendary in a skill, and required that the dwarf in question take on a persona from the world beyond. This legal farce wasn't actually legal unless that stipulation was met. Wierd wondered if Koreg had performed the necessary contact rituals to accomplish this little oversight. The law was quite explicit, this wasn't something he could just "declare."

Then the more civilly minded part of him kicked in.  Did it really matter if legal trickery like this was invoked, as long as a valuable industry was added to nevertaxed, and its people prospered, despite the machinations of "fearless leader?"

he hated having such a divided and confused nature.

the recent streak of calamity and social anguish the metropolis was enduring under Koreg's most recent stint as first citizen had his thoughts more distracted than ever.  The unexpected and irrational closure of the plum "for renovation" had him and most others without a good pub to share public sentiments, and that new chapel that had been built didn't suit his fancy, as he wasnt the religious type. (not nearly enough parties.)

More than ever, hed found himself wishing misfortune on that gods-damned imperialist ass Koreg.  If it werent for the socially irresponsible reprocussions, he'd consider a liquor strike to remind "fearless leader" what the TRUE engine of dwarven civilzation is. Angrily, he once more cursed his conflicted nature.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 16, 2015, 04:44:04 pm »

Limestone 12

My protege has completed his masterwork and achieved legendary skill using the nine tiles I set aside for the construction of a mechanics workshop.  As such control of the shop goes to her  and I am free to sponsor a new industry with my nine tiles and this time collect on the interest when my next sponsored dwarf becomes legendary.In other news the traders arrived just in time to see the Plum refurbished and the Hawk Stockade complete. There were a few last minute changes to allow HugoLuman a property that was cheap enough to allow her an industry as well. No idea what we'll trade for yet. 

Today was also the day the Wereracoon was granted a tearful reunion with his wife Psychoangel before being led directly to the basement cell of the Hawk Stockade. I delivered a speech about the importance of compassion and unity and how our dear neighbor would be taken care of until such time as a cure for his affliction could be found by our herbalists, the most skilled of which is Wierd. I told the village I have complete and total confidence in Wierd's ability to find a blend of herbs that will cure him and allow him to return to the village and that he would keep the promise that they now assume he made.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The following was written on a neatly rolled scroll sealed with dark brown wax and left on a masterpiece stone table in Wierd's home.

Terrible news about Zan. It seems I didn't read the law quite thoroughly when taking her on as a renter. It seems that a dwarf must be distinguished to the extent they have a nickname known to the entire village achieved via some asinine ritual. Unfortunately she doesn't qualify so she can't own that workshop she earned from me via renting. Truly awful but I've had to order the whole industry decommissioned, rules are rules you see and I can't be accused of not following rules.

I was worried about some sort of necessary penalty for her illegal renting of my nine tiles but in a stroke of good fortune for miss Zan it turns out the requirements to rent are less stringent than the requirements to own an industry. It is not mentioned anywhere in the law that a renter must have this distinguished status. Zan's renter contract was wholly legal it would seem even though she was immediately stripped of the industry she earned. It's a shame she can't enjoy the fruits of her labor but this is technically the first successful rental of property in Nevertaxed, your first patron of course died under the watchful eye of the dwarf you chose as your successor.

Also I took the artifact. I have no clever reason why that's at all fair I just want it so it's mine now.

Get on my team or stay the hell out of my way.

- Koreg Hawkblockades the First

PS: It was my workshop that made it and I'm taking it in lieu of the 14 tiles rent I would normally be due. That's my clever reason, thought of it just now.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 04:48:49 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 16, 2015, 08:59:26 pm »

Sandstone 2

I met with the merchants and offered the parcel of weapons armor and travel rations we didn't discuss the queen travelling here but the offering was not rejected which is just as good. It was at that point I was informed by the Liason that we were going to become a duchy and voice heavy with irony told me I should inform the Count of this at once.
Once we were done with that business we discussed our trade agreement.
The deal seems to indicate the war is still a serious concern despite how relaxed the last year has been. That's good, if things slowed down at all it would discourage the queen from accepting my generosity and damage my plans.
   After our conversation a dwarf waited outside my office to inform me of the latest election results.

Who else?

Later in the day I presented HugoLuman with my deed to the Wood Industry. I could have easilly denied the request for it and claim prior ownership but HugoLuman has never wronged me and it just seems fair. LuckyKobold is presently dabbling in carpentry and novice in woodburning meaning that when he reaches legendary she'll earn 14 or 15 tiles in interest depending on which skill hits first. This of course means I'll have to take up an industry of my own.
    Wierd has exhaused my hospitality. I shall sponsor a clay industry as he's long hoped we'd have as a final peace offering and if he mettles in my affairs again I'll simply phase him out of the new regime. His brief stint as overseer and his help with the vampire problem masked his general laziness and indecisiveness. His efforts to hinder my have demonstrated that he simply isn't prepared to play the game at the level I need
   I'll have the chef prepare a special meal tonight, after a self administered CEL test I am officially a legendary mason. 

Beneviento has become legendary in his field and has demonstrated such on a CEL test. To avoid communicating any ill will to this new notable I had a new shop immediately build and began constructing furnishings for his new home.
   This means Wierd has earned his investment back as well as 15 tiles. For my own industry I've decided to pull Onul Iltud from his position as squad leader meaning he can no longer manage the leatherworks which I've given over to Ambidextrous. I've offered Onul either homelessness or renter status under me for the clay industry and he took the latter. The clay industry is being built as of this writing.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 16, 2015, 11:31:54 pm »

Wierd was both pleased, and worried at the same time. (A curious blending of emotional states that leaves one feeling cheated at the lack of proper enjoyment, and distress over a tenuously deteriorating situation.)

Reminding fearless leader of the fine print of his own town charter had apparently driven him to act like wierd had put a cocklebur down his shorts.  It wasn't at all hard to see how Koreg was not even the least bit pleased by this, and his body language bespoke plots of subtle retribution-- wierd had seen this kind of petty "I AM the law!" type behavior in politicians before, and it bothered him deeply that such a rotten cancer was festering away in the city mayor.  Was it really so wrong to insist that foundational policy be upheld?  Apparently so, when it interferes with fearless leader's plans of grandure.

That sour bit of local politics aside, the recent test scores for his renter had made him quite pleased.  Unlike Koreg, who was only interested in abusing the patronage legislation to buy up half of the dutchy for his own dreams of avarice,  he himself was more excited about the prospects of using the alloted land parcels for furthering the quality of life for nevertaxed. Having plain white clothes was better than being naked, but everyone looked like they were part of some cult or something. There was very little "color" to nevertaxed, unless you counted the dirty politics.  Getting the milling industry running would open the doors to a dying industry, and then quality, well colored cloth would flow through the clothier industry, and every dwarf large or small could have his or her choice in brightly colored attire. The milling industry would improve the quality of meals served at the plum as well. All things that contribute to the happiness and healthiness of nevertaxed.  Living in a noisy industrial cottage was well worth it, seeing downtrodden dwarves live better lives than those in the mountain homes. 

But Koreg's abuse of the system, going through all the motions, but without the spirit behind it, sickened him in ways he could not put in words.  Ensuring that Fearless Leader at least follow the letter of his own laws was,  as far as he was concerned, the very LEAST that should be done.

Perhaps he could speak with EvictedSaint, concerning the trustworthiness of an economic parrtner that cannot even be trusted to follow his own rules, in light of the export contracts he had with her. Perhaps he could convince her that Koreg was repeatedly demonstrating how unprincipled and untrustworthy he is. The thought was just as disgusting as the very heinous actions of Koreg himself; manouvering through twisted, double dealings and actions taken without conscience or integrity.  For now, he kept these thoughts to himself.

At least Beneviento had the integrity to uphold his rental contract, in full legal and moral standing-- The cancerous behavior of the first citizen, mayor koreg, had not spread its virulence through the lay common people as yet. That was grounds for a quiet moment of inner happiness.  When enough additional property had been awarded, he would see about sponsoring more than one renter at a time, to increase the rate that nevertaxed could crawl itself up from the filth, and shine like the jewel of free enterprise it was promised to be. When, and only when, the city was fully self-sufficient as a legendary maker of crafts of all kinds, with no want for any product great or small, would he finally settle down and enjoy the benefits of his founder status.

Unlike that Koreg, who just wanted an ever bigger mansion, and greater seperation from the people supporting his socioeconomic hedonism.

Give a worm like him even the slightest oportunity, and they will compromise everything they come in contact with; making holes in the foundations of society for thier own gain, and everyone else's loss.

Hammering a bung into an especialy nice barrel of authentic dwarven wine, produced from the small stock of authentic dwarven food staples he cultivated in his basement, he made a silent toast to beneviento, and did his best to will away to stench that Koreg made of everything.

Gods, he wanted his old table back.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 17, 2015, 01:31:40 pm »

Timber 22

I've done some remodeling. Silverplum Manor has lost it's balcony but has gained a rooftop terrace. It's drawbridge has also been redesigned so that it now occupies 49 tiles and the tile gained has gone into a staircase that leads to the terrace. Several houses have been built and I've ordered a few paved roads to make the village look more presentable and make the haulers duties a little easier. I've christened it the Helmlenses memorial Highway in the honor of Maologin's eldest son Onul Helmlenses who was killed last year. I've created and engraved a slab which I will present to Maologin as a gift.

I've also decided to work on the mine. I've conscripted over a dozen engravers to carve minecart tracks in Silverplum mine. There's a massive amount of ore and stone sitting in the depths going unused and it tires me. The minecart should make it easier.
   Winter will likely consist of mass wood gathering/burning and a bit of construction. It would be nice to have permanent housing for the rest of the laborers. Furnishings are also a bit sporadic as I've chosen to install furniture on basis of who I felt deserved a reward rather than necessity.
   I've also signed all the documents necessary to grant Ambidextrous a fishery. The vast majority of our leather is imported and having exhausted our imported supplies for the mass production of shoes hoods gloves and cloaks he was heading straight towards bankruptcy. I've grown tired of eating lettuce and spinach, some nice fish will be perfect. Not to mention the mussel shells which can now be made into crafts.
   Wierd's approached me about a milling industry for similar purposes, I signed what I had to and ordered the construction of a standard sized shack with a stockpile for bags and a quern. When all that was done I threw a party in the temple, many dwarves joined me in chanting the praises of Udar in their white cloaks and hoods. They of course only saw it as singing and dancing and had no idea of the ritual significance but this is a step in a good direction. When the time comes to declare myself High Grave their familiarity with these rituals as a means of celebration and me as a source of leadership.

My gifts to the founders are complete.

Maologin: dead child road
PK: Bonecarving industry reestablished
Pencil_Art: Mine improved with tracks
Evicted_Saint Shop redesigned
HugoLuman Prison Built
Wierd: Gave him a table, more beds for workers, etc.

This should be enough. At the end of my reign I'll announce the queen's anticipated arrival and make it clear that anyone who threatens to upset this precarious little rowboat of ours is getting thrown overboard. For now it's just a little more building and a little more politicking until I can rest again.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 17, 2015, 02:53:15 pm »

14 Moonstone

There's been an unavoidable accident. It seems that Baffler believed that when I told her it was completely safe to ride the minecart down and that she was to “stop sobbing and get in the damned thing” I was to be taken literally when what I clearly actually meant was that it should be carefully guided down in line with standard safety guidelines. The minecart came to the third turn at high speed, derailed, and sent baffler flying into a wall. She stopped her forward momentum with her right foot which presently looks so similar to a rasberry biscuit that my dessert has been thoroughly ruined. I made a brief speech in the Plum about the importance of listening to the mayor when he lays out safety protocols and not roughhousing on the job.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 17, 2015, 07:16:16 pm »

Opal 13

I had a meeting with Maolagin's husband today. A quasi competent trader by the name of Ilral Oilumbras. Neblime is of course our trader and he's infinitely more skilled than Ilral and as a result Ilral finds most of his work hauling corpses for that ghoul Hostergaard. Seeing corpses all day bothers him, as does the fact he left his family behind to come here with Maologin and the death of their eldest son. The poor bastard started crying and I couldn't help but feel sympathy for him. It takes a certain kind of dwarf to survive in this world we've built and he isn't one of them. Maologin should have never brought him here.
   Baffler is out of the hospital and back to perfect health except for the crutch she'll be walking with for an indeterminate amount of time. Mining is back underway with a minecart that is now safely guided up and down and stonecutting will soon follow. There are few more wooden houses but fitting them into the existing layout is becoming a greater and greater chore. I've stationed a few dogs along the outskirts of the village to bark at any animals or invaders that plan to get the jump on us. The roads are coming along quite nicely but I have no plans to do everything. I suppose I'll just try to shore up the charcoal and stone block supplies now.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 07:48:28 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 17, 2015, 11:27:38 pm »

Obsidian 25
Another unavoidable accident, it would seem that our beloved PK despite being very good at carving bones isn't spectacular at treating injuries. Baffler has developed a painful and possibly fatal infection of the bone. Some would argue that this is the result of our dangerous settlement having a Chief Medical Dwarf is at best a novice and at worst criminally incompetent or perhaps Baffler being told to do something dangerously unsafe in a dangerously unsafe environment created by the Mayor and those people are welcome to stroll on over to the Hawk Stockade and spend fifteen days in a cell. My reign is at it's end. No more work, just coasting by now. Just here with my thoughts.
   I sit here in my fortress with a wealth of food and drink, every block, every furnishing, every design my own save for the cage my owl lives in. I look out at Nevertaxed, the sprawling city I built.  Two new squads have been drafted to patrol it and they're already training, seventy defenders our city has now. I want more. There are 123 able bodied dwarves in the village and I'd be surprised if there were 23 worth knowing. We could accommodate 100 soldiers if Saint boosted production- I'm sure she'd be happy for the work. 90 at least. I want more. I have an impenetrable mansion, an army, the wealth of a small nation and I still feel empty.
   There's a burning in my guts, a wrath in me that demands I kill the queen but the same feeling was there when I went to Tribecloisters a rich dwarf. It was there when I tried to distinguish myself as a mason and it was there when I struck out for Nevertaxed. I don't think it's ever going to be enough. I thought it was Udar that my life was missing and spreading the faith and destroying the purist Ramkal were satisfying but now I want nothing more than to bring the whole village under the dominion of the Dead God. I know that if I succeed I'll want nothing more than to spread the word to neighboring regions using the army of Nevertaxed to crush those who oppose his will. It's never going to be enough. I shudder to think what I'll do when I finally hold the reigns. There's never enough food, enough drink, enough money, enough land, enough power. If there was a wife and a child to share this empire I've built with perhaps I'd feel better. I'm going to temple to throw a party. There will be dancing and chanting and praising his name and I will sit there watching the growing storm.

Obsidian 28
Koreg Hawkblockades assembled the 5 other Founders and Maologin in the temple taking a position behind the statuette of Udar.

“Founders,” Koreg began. “We are a County of the Tame Gears whose Count was murderd and his duties taken over by with a dwarf that has likely been warned to never migrate to, visit, or mention our little settlement which is good because we are still not technically incorporated into the country whom we are a county of. It should go without saying that our situation is rather delicate. I have sent an offering and an invitation to the Mountainhall to invite the Queen and her court to take up residence in Nevertaxed converting it to a temporary capital. For reasons that are also delicate, also complicated, and probably treasonous we will not be incorporated by this act. Let it be understood that RIGID adherence to the rules of the MTS and the Nevertaxed are more critical now than ever.
   We all have different motives for being here. Some of us want to expand our wealth and power, some of us want to help the downtrodden refugees who have taken up residence here, some of us just want to be left alone. Thusfar we have all benefited from working together and there is no reason that shouldn't continue. Trust that this is a good thing. Every dwarf in this room is guilty of tax evasion, unlicensed production, falsification of documents, unlawful settlement, rectorcide, acts of war against a sovereign nation, and a list of pettier crimes which I won't bother detailing. If for whatever reason we cannot trust each other trust that if this enterprise goes the wrong way each and every one of us is going to be very, very lucky if we're only sent to prison for the rest of our lives. That's assuming the MTS gets us and not the goblins, werebeasts, vampires, or what have you. A failure by ANY of us means that every dwarf in this village is doomed.
   That in mind take me at my word when I say it is a GOOD thing that the queen is coming. Keep your stories tight, keep your eyes open, keep trusting one another. When this is done everybody wins."
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:54:30 pm by Broseph Stalin »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 17, 2015, 11:42:35 pm »

Pencil_Hugo??
What kind of frankendwarf is that?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: January 17, 2015, 11:45:21 pm »

Pencil_Hugo??
What kind of frankendwarf is that?
I decided to not to use full usernames a fraction of a second too late.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 18, 2015, 02:01:58 pm »

Anybody at all?
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 54