Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 52645 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)
« Reply #780 on: May 27, 2015, 01:48:17 pm »

How's the wood business coming btw?

Lucky Kobold is an Expert wood burner.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 27, 2015, 03:39:11 pm »

Moonstone 1
Autumns gone and that means there's a bitter chill in the air. One more thing for the trash crew to complain about. They're never more than one bad day away from a rampage. “Lead Tanner” Kol stopped working from depression and I suspect she won't be the last. I've decided to set aside a chair in the plum as my temporary office in my stay away from the Fort. I'll hold court publicly so people have the option of coming to speak with me but will hopefully be too embarassed to actually do it. Looking over the survey results 188 dwarves are fine 14 are less than fine and 6 are above. The Hawkstockade can take 14 dwarves but the strain on the public might just have a cascading effect.
    All this time in the tavern has let me get to know some of the personalities of Nevertaxed. Timeless Morty threw a party and invited all of his friends, three young children. I broke up the party and assigned him to corpse duty. He's a creepy little homunculus with a creepy little ponytail. With his help the crew succeeded in throwing the corpses of Nevertaxed into Hostergaard's basement but not before Kol started wandering around obliviously again.
   I'll focus on beautification now, furniture for everyone! Let everyone know that Koreg Hawkblockades one true mayor of Nevertaxed is a kind and generous soul who has never committed regicide. In sadder news our need for clothing continues to outpace production. We need a solution to that but I'll let some future ruler handle it. I personally think that Benviento is deliberately moderating clothing production to ensure a reliable source of income, it's what I'd do. There aren't enough resources in the city for two people like me to live here. Perhaps I'll have AsanW break his legs.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 27, 2015, 05:37:59 pm »

Morty's only friends are children, huh?  Eeeeeenteresting...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 27, 2015, 07:10:30 pm »

I'll look into expanding/enhancing clothing production on my tenure.  I will probably have to do some poking in the kitchen menu to forbid brewing of ropereeds and pigtails.

This would probably be a good time to FINALLY expand my ramshackle tower. I can then expand the footprint of my "Dwarven ethnic comfort foods" production plot in my basement to supply more than just "novelty, token amounts" of dwarven food staples, and can then possibly get more stills installed so that my dwarf can spend time doing other things and allow the increased number of stills make up for the inexperience of the other brewers in terms of supply created over time. It looks like it is about time to enact "farming infrastructure overhaul part 2", where I radically increase farm plot coverage and relocate/renovate my tower home to a more central position in the agricultural district, and restructure how industry flow works.

I SHOULD have successfully patroned 2 industries now. (Clothier and Miller.) That should give me a few extra tiles to work with. (will have to doublecheck the rules to see how much, and then decide from there.)

The problem with the clothing industry is keeping the damned weaver active, since she is also drafted, IIRC.  She constantly gets pulled off weaving duty to go serve as a lecturer/instructor in the barracks. Getting some rank and file peons on the looms with no other labors or assigned duties should help, but wont be nearly as efficient.   I'll assess the situation, and see what I can come up with.

Koreg will of course, take full credit for any improvements, and will blame my dwarf for any and all logistical mishaps, should they happen, I am sure. :D

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 28, 2015, 02:40:08 pm »

Opal 1
The last month has been coasting mostly. I've returned to Fort Hawkblockades, it's warmer than the tavern and with all these damned meetings I'd rather be in luxury. I was concerned that the cold would ignitte the powderkeg and some of the former corpse haulers might start a riot but their still just stumbling around in a state of quasi-coherence.
   Beautification is the only real focus I have for the rest of the year. I've had Onud Iltud build enough furniture for a few houses including Pencil_Art's but now I think I'll have him work on blocks. I think a new road network would probably make a decent mark. It's also  I suppose I'll pass off leadership to Weird, either he'll do another basically servicable job and let me ,and tragic accidents I had nothing to do with, drop out of the spotlight or he'll do a terrible job and remind everyone how life without me is awful.
   There's a lot I never got done. Silverplum Mine is still completely logjammed and I made no real progress on tetrahedrite mining or dealing with all the excess material. Even with Luckykobold working nonstop it's been a challenge keeping enough charcoal to smelt and smith all the iron ore. With the entire military armed and armored we're essentially ready to start producing luxuries with the metal that remains. Without flux there's not significant room for improvement in our existing armaments.
   Forget need then, I'm ordering a new dig in the tetrahedrite bearing stone and if that causes problems for anyone at least they won't be me.

Full disclosure after playing the entire month the game crashed while saving so it's Moonstone again but nothing interesting happened in Moonstone and I assume nothing interesting will happen the second time.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 28, 2015, 10:34:00 pm »

Opal 15
I've sealed myself in Fort Silverplum. Things have... deteriorated somewhat. The weather's gone bad and a snowstorm has been raging for the entire month. Given that Benviento's probable conspiracy has lead to most of the city wearing at least one article of threadbare clothing and that almost all work is done outside this has been particularly taxing. Problem dwarf Lead Tanner Kol threw a tantrum and in a fit of anger threw a mussel at a kitten horribly crippling it. Upon witnessing this a nearby animal trainer decided that Kol's grievances with the cat were legitimate, pulled out an axe, and hacked the animal to death before impaling it's body on the decorative railing of the bridge to the pickled plum. I took a moment to look around and noticed that many dwarves were quite angry and hoped to exact their own vengeance upon the cat. I approached the nearest soldier to warn him to be ready for madness to break out but this turned out to be Hostergaard who replied only “there's no room for mercy in this world.” Something else might have happened after that but I quickly retreated to the Fort.
I've decided it's time for young Dakost to start earning his position as lead child so I've arranged for him to stop by Fort Hawkblockades in the morning and evening so he can tell me what's happened in the city and I can issue orders appropriately without leaving the safety of the fort. It was dumb luck that the object of Kol's anger was an admitedly unlikeable cat who the entire city rose up against. Had it been a dwarf, a dwarf with friends then the city could be swallowed by factionalist riots because one sad idiot who Weird imbued with an undeserved sense of self worth threw his dinner.
   I'm concerned that having him arrested after such a show of support from the community might cause trouble so I instead ended my export ban on thrones in celebration of the animals murder. It didn't make sense to me either but I was trying to placate and flee from a mob at the same time.
   I've been sealed up for about two weeks now but the news from Dakost is enough to let me do my job. Weirds slum is being terrorized by a Giant Owl that's been circling the village for some time. No injuries yet save a few soiled trousers but we desperately do not need any more stressors right now. Dakost's latest poll revealed much of the city is still experiencing vengeful fervor about whatever the hell that cat did. I had the guard search the houses on their patrol to make sure nobody died in one of them.
   The days feel much longer now that I'm alone but they also feel so much more enjoyable. I spent all day yesterday looking at my owl and then I fed it some pig lung biscuits. This morning I decided to get some exercise so I removed my masterwork sword from it's case and trained with it, I think I worked out some of the rust from my lessons with maxcat. After things quiet down I think I'll have a screw pump installed so I can build some strength.  I ventured to pop my head out and noticed her majesty hauling stone from silverplum mine. She was obviously trying to taunt me about my latest reclusiveness but I just reminded her to dump the stone as close to the mason's workshop as possible and delighted in the fact that I was technically her boss.

Obsidian 1
I've done some work with the emergency protocol. It now includes all three levels of the Plum and my own home to ensure nobody attempts to evacuate me or any guests I may have from my secure fortress to the stupid tavern in the event of an emergency. I've decided to take this last month to rest. Most of the new mining is done and even though I set up tracks I won't bother plotting a new system for them to be used.
   It's stopped snowing and things have quieted down a bit so I've decided to venture back outside and resume my normal duties. Here's hoping for an easy month before I dump this pile of slop on Weird's lap.

Obsidian 28

Kol finally snapped. She started shouting and punched PK hard in the neck, he quickly got his guard up and the rest of the blows fell on his forearms but it was pure luck that his neck wasn't broken or his windpipe wasn't crushed. He may have been badly injured but a nearby soldier rushed to break up the altercation earning Kol's ire himself. The soldier was quite skilled and not one attack found purchase, soon Kol grew tired and declared she was on break. The audacity of that vile woman! I gave her a pass when she killed that cat and displayed it's carcass where it now sits but it seems to have given her the wrong message. To not only attack a dwarf under my protection but a Founder? Not only has PK been instrumental to Nevertaxed, not only is he one of the six dwarves on the planet with the sheer fortitued to make this bloody trek before there was anyhting to come to, but he is a personal friend and I considered it a personal duty to see to it this does not go unpunished. PK could have been killed for her idiotic tantrum and the moment I saw her turn and walk away as though nothing had happened I grabbed the nearest Guardsdwarf, called her guilty of two assaults, and pointedly ordered him to “take care of it.”

He was eager to please.

Very eager.

After he mangled her ankle he looked at me for approval but I shook my head. He was hesitant but he began hitting her unconscious form.

He looked up every so often but I kept instructing him to continue until it was no longer necessary.

A skull is only so tough and after a few punches from a dwarf of his size and strength it's structural integrity was dramatically compromised.

It was quite the shock to passersby including a few young children but she was an awful, arrogant woman who didn't respect commerce, hard work, or the principle of owing loyalty to another. She had no friends, a few cousins but none of them particularly care. The disciplinarian is conflicted, he's been severely bothered by the death but he's proud to have done his duty, I imagine he'll be fine.

Some of the other farmers who Weird stupidly gave titles were nearby and broke down in shock. The “lead cheesemaker” in particular started blubbering like a child. The queen witnessed the spectacle as well and though she was clearly bothered she went about her business. The miner Urdim ,whose wife and child were killed in that unavoidable accident in the tavern renovation, ran over to strip her body of it's valuables before Hostergaard got his chance and despite claiming all of her clothing for himself he stopped to have a crying jag first.

I called for morty to find an empty casket and went off to dinner. Guardsdwarf Kel who did the killing has done a service for me and in exchange I granted him the centrally located and nicely furnished home of the deceased moving him out of the slum he previously lived in.

I'm sure Weird's off somewhere whining about it. I'd rather live in a world where some trash woman is dead than one where Founders must fear for their safety.

That was the big news this month but there was also a minor incident with a soldier. Two of our heavilly armored infantrydwarves stupidly decided to ignore the rapidly thinning ice and punched straight through. They fell in close to shore but the marksdwarf had a good deal of difficulty coming very close to drowning. I've made a few traffic edicts to discourage walking on ice in the future.

Tonight I'll make some generic speech and pass this all off to Weird.

Save's up.
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10892

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: June 01, 2015, 11:30:54 pm »

Diary, 1st Granite

It would seem that His royal jackass, King Koreg has at last seen fit to relinquish his white knuckled grip on city maintenance at long last, however it distrubs me that he has given me the reins so readily and cheerfully.  I will be on the lookout for more serious issues that he has set me up for.  Political assassination is as natural as breathing for him-- the bastard.

First up, I have decided that it is long since time for me to renovate my home, and expand operations. To that effect, I have a multi-stage plan.

Firstly, the original loicality of my home is no longer suitable for ideal production flow, but sadly has too many stories for direct sale on the open market.  As such, here is the plan, though it skirts the rules a little.

Stage one: Construct shell of new home at new location, leaving existing vital infrastructre in place.
Stage two: move vital infrastructure to the new facility
Stage Three: Remove upper stories from old home
Stage Four: Sell old property on open market, or assign it to a suitably able-bodied dwarf in need of housing.

My property is going to be a little bit unusual compared to Koreg's monument to selfish avarice; The first floor is going to simply be a large dirt floor, surrounded by simple walls. Inside, surface crops will be grown at ground level.  The second floor will contain the farmer's workshops dedicated to threshing. The third floor will contain the brewing aparatus, and the fourth floor will actually contain my renovated personal apartment complex. The lawn immediately surrounding my home will likewise be converted into more farmplots, dedicated specifically to plant fiber production. With the improved building footprint, the new basement will contain a much expanded dwarven ethnic foods growing chamber suitable for the production of rock nuts, plump helmets, quary bush leaves, and the like. Simply because our settlement lives on the surface to avoid paying taxes, does not mean we have to be forced to eat nothing but nasty human surface food all the time.  I intend to give my fellow citizens increased access to our culinary cultural heritage as much as is possible. Additionally, instead of a simple door leading into the first floor growing area, I intend to install a simple drawbridge. Koreg likes to think he is safe and secure in his monument to his mini-manhood, and to hell with everyone else; myself? I realize the value in being able to secure at least some portion of the local population in the event of a seige that cannot easily be broken. Having food production and brewing partially contained safely inside my own home, with additional appartments in the upper levels, will help to ensure a refuge in the event of cataclysmic disaster. Unlike Koreg, my home will be able to weather such a siege endlessly, being able to supply itself with all life giving essentials.  Him? when his precious plum brandy stocks run dry, he will die of thirst locked in there. Alone.

It will also allow me to host some REALLY WILD parties, since I intend to install some very nice statues and other fixtures in the stories above my my apartment-- My alcohol supply will NEVER truly run dry, even with genuinely dwarven levels of partying, since brew feedstock and the brewing aparatus will be just a few levels below, ready, willing, and able to supply on demand. The BEST part, is that since the parties will be hosted inside my own residence, the rules of the city charter will make it VERY hard for Koreg to shut them down. I will make that bearded goat of a dwarf so very sorry that he forced me to become a master craftsdwarf for statuary. Oh, yes indeed.

Aside from setting up some sweet revenge against the fearless leader, there are some other pressing issues that MUST be addressed.

Specifically, the clothing shortage problem.  That will be one of my primary focuses this tenure. It is my hope to streamline and optimize clothing production as much as possible, and to get clothing stocks up to reasonable levels.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: June 02, 2015, 12:05:57 am »

Diary, 2nd Granite

Looking over the mountain of paperwork that his royal hemorrhoid heaped upon my bed yesterday, I have noticed that Koreg's subtle brand of sabotage has been hard at work.

My renter, Ast Idenmuzish, has been assigned many duties that prevent him from properly developing in his craft. Namely, he has been conscripted into military service, AND has been put on brewing duty-- For a sufficiently long length of time that he is now a better brewer than he is a miller.  In fact, he was assigned to masonry duty, hauling duty, architecture duty, and a number of other completely non-milling related duties. Just who does Koreg think he is fooling here? When I managed to track him down, he was hauling a stone boulder out of Koreg's bold-faced deathtrap of a mine even!  I mean, seriously---

This shall be rectified.

I wonder what other shenanigans Koreg has been up to over the past year...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 12:11:22 am by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: June 02, 2015, 12:23:53 am »

Ok, land accounting time.

Since my newest renter has not yet achieved legendary status for his apprenticed position, I only have the bonus land tiles granted to me from my successful mentoring of Beneviento, the clothier.

That is 16 bonus tiles. I was really hoping that Ast would have made legendary by now, but it seems he was taken off milling duty pretty much the entire time Broseph was playing. >.>  I will have to railroad him hard to get him to legendary by the end of my tenure, since he is now sitting at level 3, competent. That means I have 13 levels to go to get the land allotment I want. (I could then build the normal 50 tile estate, and still have 32 tiles with which to host additional industry development.)

This allows me to slightly increase the size of my home, but not by very much.  I will however, still stick to my original plan, and renovate.

Currently, my allotment permits me to build a structure with 41 tiles of floor space. The nearest perfect square is 6x6, which gives me a 36 square tile footprint.  That gives me a 4x4 grid of functional floor. The additional tiles seem a pretty paltry improvement, but I think I can make it count.  I will place my new home with the intention that once Ast reaches legendary, it can be expanded again to the full 50 tile estate, and still be aesthetically positioned central to the open space in the agricultural district. That means that for the time being it will be slightly off center to the courtyard. Aesthetics will just have to take the back seat.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 12:32:43 am by wierd »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: June 02, 2015, 08:46:01 am »

Bwahaha, my evil plan has come to fruition!

Actually it was just really hard to keep him milling and I sort of forgot about it. I had to stop Taupe from producing meals that would just rot in the kitchen and our bag supply is heavilly limited by the clothing shortage. I probably put him on brewing during a mass break without looking at names but masonry must have been an accident because I haven't let anybody except Onud Iltud touch the workshop.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: June 08, 2015, 06:27:52 pm »

Anxiously awaiting your next post.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 13, 2015, 06:03:35 pm »

Sorry, my days off are... Unpredictable.  I have this weekend off. Playing right now in fact.

2nd Granite, late afternoon.

A vile force of darkness has arrived, Due EAST, instead of south west, like they have been trying most frequently.  The "Slum housing" as the fearless leader likes to call it, has served its purpose well as a tangled maze of streets through which the invaders were not well accustomed to navigate. I stationed a garrison near the stockade, and despite the lacklustre skills of most of our brave fighters, the goblin attakers were slaughtered to the last green skin.  Two of our fighters were lost in the attack, when they broke ranks and rushed past the constricting line of housing and into the crossfire of the goblin bowmen.

9th Granite
Taupe has been cooking up a storm ever since the attempted goblin invasion just a week prior. In that time, several echidna roasts, lettuce leaf roasts, and even some roast trout have been assembled into masterpiece feasts. Some part of me wonders who is going to be eating all this stuff?

Maolagin has been weaving as quickly as her little deft fingers and string the looms, producing masterworks as she goes, but production is still too low to satisfy our mandate for this year.

14th Granite,
Erib Egastfikod, the lead dyer has secreted himself away from society, and has claimed a mason's workshop. It will be with amusement that I shall witness a pottering fool surpass Koreg's studious apprentice in less than a month, where he has toiled for more than a year.

17th Granite
The elven caravan has arrived. Despite the claims of soldiers being too eager to loose their arrows, there have been no incidents with the caravan. I shall insure that no incidents happen.

After reviewing the supplies in their caravan, the only really useful items were a caged male grizzly bear (to go along with the previously purchased female bear, assuming Koreg did not butcher it. The ledger shows it as still alive, so we shall see. Our records now show we have a functional pair of these great beasts ready for breeding.), A tame male giant dingo (To go along with our trained female one), and some useless but adorable racoon like creatures called coati-- a mated pair.

The transaction was conducted using XClothingX items from the warehouse, items far too threadbare for dwarven skin, but those elven wastrels know no better.

26th Granite

The dump manager has fallen into a depression today. (LOL! This guy's thoughts page is an endless montage of being horrified! IT HAS A SCROLL BAR IT IS SO LONG!)  I need to get my new tower-home completed soon, so that I can start hosting massive blockbuster parties before the spread of malcontent destroys nevertaxed from within.

27th Granite

The lead dyer has constructed a legendary conglomerate weapon rack. Take THAT Koreg. Meh! I shall have it installed in my new home when it is finished.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 07:09:03 pm by wierd »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: July 03, 2015, 05:54:11 pm »

Any hope of continuing?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #793 on: July 04, 2015, 03:47:42 am »

titles say this needs overseers. I wanna go!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: July 04, 2015, 08:14:06 am »

titles say this needs overseers. I wanna go!
You get a turn, I'd like to give Wierd a chance to start updating but if he doesn't this turn may be yours.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54