Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 52602 times)

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Villagers Wanted!)
« Reply #240 on: November 28, 2014, 01:09:32 pm »

I'd like a dwarf if I could have one. No real preference, but something farming-related would be great.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 28, 2014, 01:34:04 pm »

I'm confused. Weren't we going to break away?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 28, 2014, 01:42:38 pm »

well, we could also kill said baron, and all his progeny. Since he is clearly a vampire, we could say that the new baron was power hungry, and claimed the position without proper authorization, and that his claims are without merit, and that he is little more than blood sucking filth sent here by MTS to teach us a lesson in refusing the king's authority. given the royal family's past interests in life and death, and obcessions with thier own mortality, It makes a good RP basis for systemically murde..uhm.. arranging accidents... for the new baron and all subsequent claimants.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 28, 2014, 01:52:17 pm »

Whack the baron and insist he never signed the proper documents to finalize our barony status. Obviously a new baron can't be installed until ours is declared dead and we stubbornly refuse to accept that our beloved baron will not eventually be found to prevent the installation of another. If one of his relatives and claimants shows up to declare him dead in absentia we see to it they go missing searching for him. I like it.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 28, 2014, 05:24:03 pm »

''I can't believe they would ask me to pay a fine! My ingredients were NOT rotten, I swear to Armok. They were good ingredients, like 3 days old fish and some not too brownish apples. If the king thinks he can make money off anyone with his stupid laws and taxes, well he is damn wrong! Autority can suck my big fat... erhm... spatula.

I'm done with this stupid fort, you hear me? Imma just pack up my stuff and leave, and find a place to settle where i can become the greatest cook to ever live without nobody to charge me extra for stupid regulations. Ah, like a bit of food poisoning ever hurt anyone. Nevertaxed, here I come!''

Hey, peeps, please dwarf me as anything ressmbling a cook around these parts, thanks!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 28, 2014, 08:20:42 pm »

Ning Truthlashes- Paladin of His Majesty's Tax Service

I've stopped in a hamlet just north of Lulledelders to gather information. I've come across some troublesome information.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This would be roughly 1/6th of the food stored in the small human dwelling I came across. Hawkblockades could have traded with anybody for most of his supplies, my only hope is that the merchant of Lulledelders who is his most likely contact for livestock and other harder to get items. Remembers him specifically.
   They are more familiar with travelers here, it would seem that though attendance has dropped in recent years Lulledelders to the immediate south is a city as I was led to believe but the headquarters of some sort of cult. They apparently worship some type of dark spirit thing and do quite good business buying and selling to travelers at the monastery there. I'm becoming more and more troubled by this. This Hawkblockades deals with traders who don't keep shop records and religious groups profiting from trade in direct violation of the provisions that grant them tax exempt status.
   Gods alive, the man himself is building a fortress in the midst of cartological gray area! I fear this may lead to some cabal of tax cheats, coin clippers or census dodgers. Hell, it could be a whole damned forgery ring. Perhaps the vampires bracelet will let me speak to these financial criminals without raising their suspicions.

I reached at the cult's monastery and began poking around their trade goods. It was worse than I ever imagined.
I tried to convince myself they had very productive soil and this was all grown on site within regulation.
I kept telling myself it was most likely a family heirloom and that classification would supersede it's status as an imported good in terms of trade.
Even then I deluded myself into believing some dwarf was among their ranks and had shown them how to grow underground crops and that these wares will still produced here and these were just simple monks.
There was no explanation except that someone in this monastery had been taking Gorlaks, sentient beings, and killing them , skinning them, tanning their hide, and crafting them it into hats. This was the straw that broke the camels back; tax exempt status or not this was a vile cult making or at least selling goods created from sentient beings without the proper legal classification or licensing. I suspect these are the lot that furnished the vampire with this shoddy and unlicensed bracelet. This type of wanton disregard for business law is precisely why the Mezbuth's Macabre Marketplace wasn't able to turn a profit and you can no longer buy quality mermaid bone jewelry north of the Gulf of Rays and my dear wife had to settle for a seal person bone engagement ring.

Steeling myself for what I might see I pushed onto the convent and met with the man they called Ac Sodues who seemed to lead the place. He informed me that he was the High Grave and explained that life was suicide, the small talk didn't last for long as what he said next chilled me to my very core.
This is a massive trading hub and not only that, my beloved Tribecloisters is their biggest customer. We'll have to shake down the caravans before they come and go from this blasted place. He also informed me that there was an army of fearsome warriors camped a half day away preparing to sack the convent. I informed him that I would happily lead him to safety and he leapt at the chance. We walked some distance at which point he complained about the snow and we stopped to make camp.
As we sat around the fire he explained that his order worshiped the ancient Forest Titan Udar Soakedrivers the Flaxen Jungles. The cult was apparently a burgeoning and influential order until the beast was killed in 103 and it's doomsday prophecy failed. He didn't say as much but I suspect that it was around this time they began resorting to financial dishonesty to supplement the income they lost when donations fell off.
   It was at this point I showed him the bracelet and mentioned the vampire trader. He assumed I'd been sent by him on a rescue mission and I didn't disagree but mentioned we had to talk about the dwarf that purchased a sheep from them. He mentioned Koreg by name. My enthusiasm startled him and he quickly stopped talking. I was forced to ask again.

And again
And again.
He was more easily persuaded after this.

It seems that this High Grave knows Hawkblockades as a former follower. His father was stripped of his noble title in 103 after he sold his possessions in anticipation of the coming judgment and Hawkblockades ,then Kadol Palacetreaty, ran off and left the cult behind. The father Palacetreaty is dead and none of his contacts can be reached for questioning. He was surprised to see Koreg turn up again and initially suspected he was being had but he produced a silver artifact and preformed a certain rite demonstrating his ties with the group clearly. The High Grave had done a bit of work and discovered that after he broke with the group Koreg had been living south along the Gulf of Rays but said he had no more information and said this after being asked seven times. I prepared  to leave but stopped to admire his amulet.
I asked him if he'd purchased it before Mezbuth's Macarbe Market closed down and he replied he made it himself
I collected the evidence and left him in the snow.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 28, 2014, 08:42:41 pm »

The plot thickens!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 29, 2014, 03:55:43 pm »

It looks like it is pencil_art's turn.

Cmon, I know it is after the holiday, and all the americans in our group are sleeping off the food, but c'mon! :P

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 29, 2014, 04:16:26 pm »

It looks like it is pencil_art's turn.

Cmon, I know it is after the holiday, and all the americans in our group are sleeping off the food, but c'mon! :P

I sent him a message after PK posted the save .

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 30, 2014, 09:03:26 am »

Pencil_Art has been online since the save was posted and I sent him a private message, if he doesn't take the save today I say we skip him.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 30, 2014, 11:49:53 am »

Sounds like a plan.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 30, 2014, 03:09:30 pm »

Ning Truthlashes- Paladin of His Majesty's Tax Service

The Gulf of Rays is still far to the south and I believe I'll leave it there for now. I elected to stop in Arrowprinces for supplies before I made the trek across the frigid plains to the much warmer region. What I found was alarming. The city had been left deserted. Every shop and home I came across empty. The only activity I could observed was a pair of stray cats walking aimlessly an occasionally bumping against one another. I heard  voices some distance away. I entered the courtyard of castle Shady Tower  and breached the main hall to find an assembly of six humans speaking to one another.

The Exalted Dust,  The Exalted Oblivion, The Holy Crypt, and the High Phantom of the Most Ancient Order of Ura spoke to the Law Giver and Lady of Arrowprinces. I first believed this cult's influence is truly great but in speaking to them they asserted no knowledge of Ac Sodues or even Udar Soakedrivers the titan. I suspected he was withholding information and prepared myself for a more thorough interrogation before the conversation turned to local troubles.

I looked over the assembled holy men and saw that they wore simple clothes and carried ceremonial silver knives. They had no jewelry or clothing made from sentient creatures and appeared to be rather disinterested in personal possessions. Despite the fact that the Arrowprinces was over five times as large as Lulledelders it traded a fraction of the items and had no observable violations. This was not the same order I encountered in that frightful city.

They explained their religion to me ,eager to convert me I suspect, and it seems that the order of Tombs is some offshoot of the worshipers of Ura. The Holy Crypt was more informed on the subject and explained that some time between 80 and 95 the titan attracted a degree of notoriety and certain groups began to view it as the corporeal manifestation of their deity. Some worshipers of the human goddess of death and suicide Ura and our dwarven god of jewels The Amber Dyes merged and formed a cult that was obsessed with death and the acquisition of wealth. It fell off after the death of Udar but gained more power with creation of the Convent of Ash by High Grave Ac Sodues in168. This led to their formal establishment as the Order of Tombs and their current influence in the region. None of the monks seemed to know how large the group actually is.

My conversation with the Law Giver was equally informative. Apparently Koreg Hawkblockades had passed through the town many times over the years. The documents relating to him state that he was a lifelong scam artist and liar. He would order mussels in taverns, produce a pearl which he would then persuade the owner to buy back, and be gone before it was discovered to be a smooth bit of marble. He also obtained false documents indicating he was an emissary of the lord and warn businesses that if they didn't immediately pay him several imaginary fines they would be shut down immediately. As he grew so did his knack for criminal behavior and the scale of his scams grew.

Over the course of several months he would claim to be a steward for a powerful but frail noble and leave the price of an item as collateral, disappear to show it to his master, and return some time later with the item unsatisfied. He would take another item and repeat the process over the course of months. Eventually he would take the most expensive item in the shop and “accidentally” suggest a price five times it's fair market value but claim his master was convinced the shopkeeper was clipping the coins left as collateral and would not allow such a large purse to be left with him. The shopkeeeper at this point certain that if Koreg were a thief he would already have robbed him allowed the item to leave his shop at which point neither it nor he would ever be seen again.

The last scheme he worked was claiming to be a leader of expeditions. He claimed that he organized the materials, labor, and operation of lumber camps, mining operations, fishing boats and other such ventures for wealthy patrons. He would convince them to invest a bit of money and deliver prompt and steady returns but in reality he was simply paying them back with the money from other investors. When he had a decent pot going he convinced them all there was about to be a particularly impressive haul and with his record they would agree to make substantial investments which would disappear along with Koreg.

It was at this point the records from Tribecloistered indicate he arrived as a migrant claiming he had led dozens of expeditions and had been mayor of dozens of outposts before creating another. Some believed his claims of being a professional expedition leader but none were prepared to invest in him. He worked for a time as a mason at which he was truly awful due to his habit of compiling lists of supplies necessary to start an expedition. It is believed he was attempting to establish his legitimacy. For reasons unknown he became more and more invested in actually attempting an expedition at which point he began the process of applying for a permit from the Queen and filing with the MTS. It is my suspicion that after he realized the remains of his hoard would barely cover the cost of supplies and he could not afford any of the fees or taxes he wrote his incendiary letter and began this quasi-legal “Village” of his.

During my interrogation the High Grave seemed to believe Koreg was no longer a practicing member  of the Order of Tombs but if it's grown significantly it's possible that Ac was no longer as powerful or connected within the group as he believed. I have developed two theories.

First; it is possible that Hawkblockades after spending his life as a liar and a cheat has felt the urge to take up roots and establish himself as legitimate through very illegitimate means. Koreg wants to create a legacy and do the things he always claimed he had. He is a simple cheat and his threat to the economy of our kingdom while serious is fairly limited in scope. Bringing Nevertaxed under the dominion of the Tame Gears will resolve this all quite neatly.

It is my second theory that this Hawkblockades has surreptitiously risen above Sodues as the leader of the Order of tombs and has been for years operating this massive conspiracy as it's new leader. It is possible that this Nevertaxed is not a Fortress or even a Village but a convent created to spread the tax evading cult all over the northeast perhaps using his ties to vampires and dark forces to curry the favor of Her Majesty the Queen. The only option is to go to Nevertaxed, destroy the fortress, and kill Koreg and all those who follow him.

If anybody wants to establish some backstory for their dwarf pass it along and the tax man will investigate them.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 30, 2014, 07:33:05 pm »

sure. look mine up. sounds fun, and i've been meaning to do so for awhile now.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 30, 2014, 07:37:35 pm »

Do you have anything plotted out or am I just making it up based on your dwarf?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 30, 2014, 08:49:30 pm »

I was going to research the dwarf, then roll with it. If you want to research him first, it would be OK. 
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 54