Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Glovedloved - MoK: Journal Thread [Year 5]  (Read 6030 times)

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • More than meets the eye
    • View Profile
Re: Glovedloved - MoK: Journal Thread [Year 4]
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2014, 10:30:49 pm »

From the Journal of UltraMagnus: Limestone:

Skulls would have been disappointed in me.
The gang in which Skulls had ruled over was allowed to be as tough and as brutal as they pleased, provided that they didn't attract too much attention from the mountain. We survived the water titan attack under her command, even with the disregard of our safety by the dwarves of the mountain. Now, we stand but at three members.

I can recall my conversation with Onul one day in the barracks exceptionally (by my poor standards)..
It began out as per usual, with the clanging of hammers echoing in the tunnels, creating a rhythm with our training. Almost complimenting us were the trots of horses towards the trading depot near our barracks.
"Onul," I told him, "I want you to peer at the merchants' goods, and tell me exactly what the mountain buys from them.
Onul reported back that the mountain bought a bunch of useless crap, but what's more is that Sionnach's goons were overseeing the trade. One of them glared at me when I peered around the corner to see for myself. How rude.

We resumed training half-heartedly until a song composed by the trotting of hooves were birthed in the tunnels again. We shuffled quietly to the Depot, where various slum workers were unloading goods. No weapons, and no armor were among them.

Onul and I glanced at each other understandingly, Sionnach wouldn't have taken such an interest in the caravans out of the goodness of his heart. I ordered Onul to retreat back to the barracks and resume training, so that I may shadow the rest of the caravan's travels.

Hmph... few things are smooth in this world, even with cloth covered over them. Breastplates happen to be one such thing, and Sionnach has been trying to get chummy with the local religious figures.

"In other words," Onul inquired after I explained my suspicions to him in the barracks, keeping a vigilant eye towards the entrance for eavesdroppers while half-heartily swinging my hammer, "...He's bringing his own police force to the slums."
I lobbied my hammer into the air. "Is he then any better than the mountain, or is all law good law?"
Onul shook his head. "You're the leader of this pitiful gang, you tell me if he's better than us at it."
The hammer's grip didn't let up any mercy as it crashed back into my palm, caught more precisely than the rumors of religious civil war in the fortress. I inspected the metal afterwards, noticing the puny amounts of light in the room reflecting off of the brilliant metal. "He's better at amassing an army, but he's not better at keeping order in the slums than Skull was or perhaps, if given the chance, worse than I could be."
Onul knew his place wasn't to speak up quite yet. "Sionnach sees us as a threat to his rising power, which is good. If left unchecked we pose direct competition for his military presence. If he kills us, he betrays the cause of his own Loyalists. Let him revel in the paranoia towards three dwarves, the rifts between the Followers of the Path and Worshipers of Armok don't do anything to help."

Onul started to sneer a coy grin at me. "Are you open for suggestions in how we use this?"
I snapped back, "I'm against anarchy or inciting chaos if that's what you have in mind."
Onul seemed a bit let down. "Not directly," he amended.
Perhaps he was on to something, but I already started to get an idea of what could possibly connect the two ideas. I didn't really like it. I ordered Onul, "Perhaps you may get your wish as a last resort option, but in the meantime let's play this one smart. I want you to loiter around the depot and arrange a meeting for me with one of the mountain pundits."
Onul grabbed some drink and food and made his lobbying known to the fort, leaving me to free-write in my journal before I forget my thoughts due to a history of alcohol abuse (not enough). Onul will keep his mouth shut about our findings, even when drunk, but that still doesn't make me trust him enough to take over the gang after my passing.
Our most valuable asset right now is that the civilian defense force smuggled the armor. No, I don't intend to tattle-tale to the mountain, and Onul knows better than to either, but as far as the rest of the fortress knows, the civilian defense force lacks armor. This could be huge for negotiation, and any past loyalty to the mountain has been tested and found.
Sionnach, I don't hate you, but somebody needs to take hold of this fortress before the religious rift becomes too much for the slums to handle, and you'd be a terrible leader to not address any major power void.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2014, 04:14:21 pm »

Sionnach's Journal, Sandstone 253.

4th of Sandstone.

I've been considering my position with Kaladin and Tacomagic. While I'd prefer not to get involved in matters of religion, I can't ignore the fact that Tacomagic has been working to unify the peoples and religions of the slums, while Kaladin seems happy to drive a wedge wherever she can, creating divisions that the mountaineers prey on. I'd prefer not to kill her, so instead I'll do what I can to get her into the mountain. It's where she wants to go in any case, and if she continues raising hell there, at least it'll benefit me.

Meng finished his meeting with the liaison today, though to hear him tell it they did little more than exchange pleasantries. There hasn't been any more news, which at least means the goblins haven't advanced any further into our realm. Or else there's nowhere left to conquer...

10th of Sandstone.

I caught someone staring at me today. He's called Onul, apparently, and he's one of the thugs. Certainly not the brains of the operation in any case. When he saw me looking, he grinned. I think he knows about the armour, though if the thugs knew, surely they would have told Neblime in an attempt to get me replaced? Perhaps their motives aren't as destructive as I thought.

15th of Sandstone.

The roof of the chapel was completed today. Tacomagic and Maskwolf both gave very nice services to bless the place officially. Somehow Kaladin was locked in her room all day when she had said the day before that she'd be attending, but at least no one made a scene.

Now that the chapel has been finished, the masons have begun working on a second level of walls around the slums. Hopefully once that's finished we'll be safe, at least from threats from the west.

19th of Sandstone.

My aids tell me that I'm due for a meeting with Neblime. Good for them.

25th of Sandstone.

Someone's been trying to undermine the efforts of the CDF. Apparently we're just another tool of oppression sent by the Mountain to keep the slums in their place. I guess I'll have to go for that meeting after all, though I'd be surprised if Neblime is actually behind these rumours.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2014, 04:32:41 pm »

Sionnach's Journal, Timber 253.

5th of Timber.

A stonecrafter by the name of Ral Sazirangen has taken over a workshop inside the mountain. Some people think that he's protesting against the class division in this place, others claim that he's putting his name up for elevation to the mountain this year. I went to see him and he's babbling about stone and gems, so I think it's likely that they're both wrong.

13th of Timber.

Today passed without anyone seeking an audience with me, without anyone getting injured or vanishing or going insane. It was a blessed relief. I think I would give up this position in a heartbeat if I could, but I can't see anyone I'd trust with the fortress. The mountaineers are clearly out of the question and the religious fanatics are... well, fanatics. Ideally, the Loyalists would vote among ourselves to ensure my successor would be trustworthy, but that's not exactly in keeping with our goals.

26th of Timber.

It seems Neblime has been trying to evict Ral from his workshop, and Ral has been adding another stone to his project every time she tries. So far he has twenty three. We may be able to use him as an example. After all, if the mountaineers can't do anything when a single craftsdwarf decides he wants to take over their work space for as long as he wants, why can't everyone do it?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 06:54:48 pm by Deus Asmoth »

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2014, 05:41:36 pm »

From the Journal of UltraMagnus: Timber

"He's relaxed." Onul spoke to me with accusatory tone. "He's relaxed, and we're none-the-more powerful than we were since the beginning of the year."
I couldn't help but let loose a chuckle. "I know, Onul, but neither are we all the less dissipated."
Onul's meetings with the mountain have been... casual. My plans have been at a stalemate, but I'm a patient dwarf. In the meantime, I ordered Onul, "Please, Onul, I wish to arrange a meeting between I and Sionnach, as well as the stonecrafter that invaded the mountain. Ralph, his name was?"
Onul stood tall when he spoke. "Just Ral, ma'am."
A pronunciation mistake, nothing more. "I amend that statement then, please arrange a meeting with Sionnach, Ral, and I south of the chapel to take place at the end of the same month that Ral gets out of the workshop."
Onul stood dumbfoundedly, "Why such a specific time, ma'am?"
I eyed him sternly, "Because I hate to be behind on gossip when I go to parties."
We resumed the rest of the day into training.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:08:05 pm by UltraMagnus »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2014, 06:48:12 pm »

Excerpts from the journal of TacoMagic Rigņthigėr, Priestess of the Followers:

18th Sandstone,
Indecision and uncertainty have plagued me far too often of late, becoming a kind of dark aura that hangs over me and threatens to engulf my soul.  With the rift between Kaladin and myself now a great chasm of acrimony, I suppose it is only natural that the righteous suffering of the Path find its place in me.  But it time I throw off this shroud of misery!

The more I read of Ordin's philosophy, the more I see through them into the deeper meanings beneath them, to the true words of the Path.  He equated the necessary way of life for the Followers to be one of suffering because we forsake all those things that our hearts most desire.  But when the heart is trained, the mind tempered, and the desires curbed, there is satisfaction beyond the initial suffering of loss.  There is pride in shouldering toil of the Path.  There is joy in it.  Ordin was never able to break through to this truth because he could never set his lust for the corruption aside.  I see this so clearly and obviously now I am aghast that it took me so long to understand.  The Path does not mandate eternal suffering, but rather tells us that there is a greater place if we push through to the place beyond the suffering!

This discovery of soul comes just in time, too.  The chapel is complete and I have already started working on a schedule with the Priests so that we may share the space equally.  4Mask has suggested that we also set some time aside for more specific services for those who follow some of the more earthly deities.  It's an enlightened suggestion and I have added the flex time into the week.

Kaladin has also demanded a slot to use for proselytizing to the prospects.  Well, to be more exact, she demanded that we all vacate the chapel and cede it to the True Followers as she calls her little group of malcontents.  This even after she completely blew off the ceremonial opening. 4Mask and I managed to shout her down to a single day; so much for diplomacy.  It is an ugly thought, but I hope she does gain access to the mountain and frees us of her influence.

10th Timber,
I've been told that yet another dwarf has finally succumbed to the sirenous call of the tainted wealth in the mountain.  Another soul lost to me, I fear.

This particular incident is noteworthy because of how upset it seems to be making Neblime.  But, it is of small matter.  With Kaladin catching the attention of both the Mountain and Sionnach, my plans to return to the mountain have been shelved.  With a greater understanding of the Path than ever, I know that my place is here teaching the Prospects.  Let Kaladin be sacrifice, I care not.  The prospects continue to visit the chapel both to hear the sermons and to gaze upon the wonderful statues we have there.  Yes, I am content to let this play out.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 06:50:36 pm by Tacomagic »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2014, 05:44:10 pm »

Sionnach's Journal.

4th of Moonstone.

Maskwolf has been jailed for forty nine days. The official records claim that it's for violation of a production order, yet Morul tells me that he has no memory of any such order. I'd blame Kaladin, but Ultramagnus is in charge of the 'law keeping' in the slums, so it could have been either of them. Or neither. I met with the other priests of Armok to assure them that I'd free Maskwolf as soon as possible, but who knows how long I can keep the peace? The dragon's in the booze stockpiles now, and no mistake.

10th of Moonstone.

Ral has finally finished gathering materials from his project. I guess Neblime actually gave up screaming at him or something.

16th of Moonstone.

Ral has finished making this kick-ass mug:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's worth 102'000 crowns, only slightly less than Kaladin's grate (if you consider the worth of a small fortress to be 'slightly'). After the mountaineers had finished confiscating it, that helper of UltraMagnus' demanded a meeting with myself and Ral. I have half a mind to just arrest the lot of them and be done with it, but clearing the air would be helpful for us all, I suppose. We have a couple of weeks to try swaying Ral to our cause in any case.

22nd of Moonstone.

I spoke to Tacomagic of my plans to send Kaladin to the mountain, and she seems just as happy as I am to have the tax collector out of the way. It should certainly make the prospects a more peaceful place once she's gone.

26th of Moonstone.

Ral is proving problematic. We've been trying to get her to come around, but she doesn't want to be the poster girl of our movement. We may still be able to recruit her, see seems unhappy with the state of affairs as it is and she was certainly happy enough to stand up to Neblime when she needed to. I think I can rely on her in spite of whatever Ultramagnus' plan is, but I've asked Nokzam to keep an eye on the meeting in case it goes sour, and I'm taking my armour.

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2014, 12:35:17 am »

From the Journal of UltraMagnus - Moonstone (Field notes):

I don't suppose that my presence holding a book and quill is intimidating in a military sense, but for all purposes I intend to record this conversation to analyze later.
Onul stood beside me as the clanging of Sionnach's armor made its way towards the designated meeting grounds. Sionnach brings a friend, not surprising. Such a self-proclaimed Loyalist is tuning himself into a fine politician. He could fit well into the Mountain if his loyalty to our pathetic slums was broken.
When Sionnach was within a comfortable earshot, I called out to the Loyalist, "Veil your armor with a cloak for fear of intruding eyes, for are we not both citizens of the slums of GlovedLoved?"

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2014, 02:15:50 am »

My eyes narrowed. "Oh, is that what we are? Because I was under the impression I was talking to one of the mountain's pets who only graces the slums with his presence when he has an excuse to put his hammer to work."

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2014, 10:44:47 am »

I laughed in response before answering. "Don't be silly, you must have mistaken me for Skulls herself."
I my face straightened out back into a neutral glare immediately afterwards. I don't know how well I alleviated the situation, but it's time to actually get somewhere even if Sionnach is going to breathe down my neck the entire time. "For example, Skulls would have told the mountain about what you're wearing so she could have an excuse to take the hammer to your noggin. I currently have no plans to do that, because you strike me as someone who, at his core, believes in the same concepts of law as I do. Would it not then be in my best interest to help you in your struggle against the mountain?"

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2014, 12:24:54 pm »

I crossed my arms, frowning.
"It's easy for you to claim that you want to help. Let's see if you're really so different from your predecessor then. You know that the Followers are splitting apart."
It wasn't a question, but he nodded anyway.
"Kaladin is intent on flushing out any religion besides the Path from Glovedloved. Even if you're just planning on stabbing me in the back at your first chance, turning the slums into a fanatic's stalking ground would be bad for all of us. Convince the mountaineers that Kaladin should be the one to join them come spring and she won't be able to do nearly as much damage.

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2014, 12:45:03 pm »

I let out a slight grin, pleasantly surprised with Sionnach's sudden lack-of-hostility. Still, I didn't want to let Sionnach over-estimate my influence over the mountain, and there was a slight problem with that plan. "I will attempt to gain Kaladin's favor with the Mountain. However, I can't promise that the Mountain will act on its own childish whim the moment that I turn by back to it. You should be aware of how difficult that would be with our current situation, no? Kaladin means to the mountain a suppression of the dwarven wants, and less competition for the mountain's resources and living quarters by extension. It would be easy to turn this logic against the mountain, but I need more... leverage... over the residents. That's why I've asked you to bring Ral here, so that I may ask both of you for permission to take Ral into the gang under the presented guise of 'disciplining' him in order to gain misplaced favor with them."

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2014, 12:53:19 pm »

I snorted. Of course he had a price. Everyone did, sooner or later. I glanced at Ral. She shrugged.
"If Ral doesn't have an objection, feel free," I told him. "Just make sure to keep Neblime away from her for a while."
It's all a game, I realised some time after. Ral's a piece, and I traded her for my goals. So much for the equality of dwarfkind.

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2014, 01:14:46 pm »

A snort, but not an objection. Sionnach understands that he can't always have his way for free, no? Oh well, no sense in hanging over it for too long, it's no skin off my beard since the only alteration of the truth that I presented was a suppression of my fears for the failure of this plan. I called out, sincere in my pleasure with Sionnach's own version of friendliness,
"Thank you for agreeing to this meeting. So long as the mountain does not catch wind of this meeting or what has transpired within it (for I now more than ever have no reason to tattle), I agree to uphold my end of the bargain."
I called out to the other gang members, Ral excluded for now from the commands, "Onul, sweep the area for any unauthorized eavesdroppers. Be quick, and be thorough about it. Urvad, hurry back to the barracks and prepare a makeshift 'prison.' Make it both comfortable and convincing."

I recorded the rest of my field notes into the journal after I returned to the barracks, pleased with the turn of events. Onul deserves a break, so the next meeting I have will be scheduled personally.

I slipped a sheet of paper in the crack of the doorway to the mountain later that day. The next time a tax collector passes through, he should send the message to Nordinkel, Digger, Tonnot, and Neblime directly. If he throws the note into the dirt and pays it no heed, he'll return to the mountain only to be hauled into the refuse stockpile.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2014, 02:40:38 pm »

Excerpts from the journal of TacoMagic Rigņthigėr, Priestess of the Followers:

4th Moonstone,

With the rift in the Followers already causing a division of the spirit within GlovedLoved, I cannot imagine the kind of damage that losing the stabilizing force of the Priests would do.  And yet, we are approaching that reality.  I got word this morning that Maskwolf has been jailed for his refusal to fulfill a mandate.  As if that is the business of the clergy.  No, the timing is too well placed for this to be a coincidence.  I had never trusted Skulls further than I could throw her fully armored.  On her best day she was an unstable barbarian; but she served her purpose at the time.

I'd always imagined that whoever rose to fill her place would be her equal; violent yet simple.  This UltraMagnus, however, is a different creature entirely: patient and insidious.  I'm not sure what she's playing at yet, but it obviously involves disrupting the spiritual stability of the Prospects.

With Maskwolf unable to lead the priests and shore up their interests, and Kaladin playing on the distrust and disgruntlement of some of the prospects to her own end, that leaves only me and the lesser Priests who serve under Maskwolf to keep things under control.  I have called a meeting with them to see what can be done to shore up our position and try to curtail Kaladin's influence.  I fear taking direct action at this point as it may shore up her position more than it does harm.

18th Moonstone,

This "Ral" lass is going to become dangerous very soon, I can feel it.  Her flaunting of both Mountain law and Neblime's authority have made her a bit of a folk hero among the Prospects.  I can already see the players shifting to make use of her.  They are all so quick to embrace the corruption when it wears the guise of victory.  I will have to keep my eye on this lass lest she take advantage of the flock.

23nd Moonstone,

The meeting with Sionnach went well.  He fully endorses Kaladin's admission to the mountain.  I told him it will be crucial to make sure she seems more deserving than Ral, as they have both produced items of staggering wealth.  It will be important to play-up the fact that Kaladin's was made form pure gold.  The fickle nature of the Sacrifices make them more easily swayed by shiny objects, so it will be points against Ral that her mug was mostly stone encrusted with a few common gems.

27th Moonstone,

It has been decided.  The priests and I will work together to start to undermine Kaladin's authority.  I hate to take such measures, but the times are desperate and we need action.  I will be preaching to the followers that Kaladin has succumed to the corruption and will make an ideal sacrifice.  She has admitted as much herself, so that should be simple enough.  However, there is an obscure passage from Ordin's "The Nature of Path" that warns against listening to the words of Sacrifice, that those corrupted are unworthy to teach the Path.  I am hesitant to use that to my advantage here because I also was Sacrifice; it could just as easily undermine both our positions if I allow that passage to be preached.  I will have to save that as a last resort while I search for a better answer.

I would beg time to meditate for that answer among the dogs, but my absence now would be catastrophic.  I must find the answer here in the chapel.  I can feel the statues watching me, judging my actions, mocking this mess I have created.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 06:21:49 pm by Tacomagic »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2014, 04:01:50 pm »

Sionnach's Journal.

3rd of Opal

The mountaineers seem to be taking Ral's 'imprisonment' well. I suppose they're just happy that everyone knows that there are consequences to going where the lordly lords don't want them. Can't have the peasantry getting ideas above their station. Bastards.

In any case, the new bedrooms are coming along nicely, or as nicely as a hole in the dirt can come along.

15th of Opal

The minotaur Ator Tarmidlek has arrived. He appears to have caused some bizarre activity in our river as well.

In any case, it's time to remind people that the C.D.F. is actually here to protect them. Perhaps this will stop them complaining about us and our attempts to stop them from murdering each other.

17th of Opal

Asob Bomrekbasen was struck down on the 16th of Opal 253, by the minotaur Ator Tarmidlek. A single sentence to sum up the life and death of a good man. He charged ahead of the rest of us, not even waiting for the militia to load their crossbows. Ator watched him. I would swear that the thing was smiling. Then... It was a single punch. We didn't have enough metal armour to go around, so Asob was still in leather. A fist sprouted out of Asob's back. The sound. We need to train more. We have to be better.

20th of Opal

I went to visit the wounded today. Our hospital is pathetic. I'm having a new one built immediately, one that can accommodate at least ten injured dwarves. Hopefully that'll make the doctors happy as well.

25th of Opal

Found a spare hammer lying around today. I gave it to UltraMagnus for Ral. Among the slums, Kaladin and Ral both seem to be the popular choice for ascension, but I can't imagine Ral getting into the mountain without staunch opposition from Neblime. Hopefully that'll be enough to seal the deal even if UltraMagnus decides to betray us. Ral could prove problematic if she does defect fully to the thugs, but it's a risk we'll have to work with in any case.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5