Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Glovedloved - MoK: Journal Thread [Year 5]  (Read 6044 times)

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
  • Return to the Corn Fields
    • View Profile
Re: Glovedloved - MoK: Journal Thread [Year 5]
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2014, 10:09:13 am »

Journal of Nokzam Oddomdakas

2nd Felsite 254

Today I was told that the thugs have ceased their training.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This greatly surprised me, as they have been training throughout my time spent in Glovedloved.
Whether they are simply taking a break, are on business from the mountain or wish to recruit new members, I do not know.
An eye will have to be kept on them, but this will not be easy seeing as there are now many more dwarves mulling about.
I will have to do all I can to expand our network of supporters.
I will also have to find time to rummage through their quarters, for perhaps I may find something to enlighten me about their true intentions.

3rd Felsite 254

Today.....we faced our doom.
The tale I tell here is not mine, but that of those who witnessed this malady.
A shout was heard from the neutral zone, they say.
A dwarf had spotted a strange being coming down the hallway.

He called out in a horrified tone: "Raise the bridges! By all the gods, raise those damned bridges now!"
Panic broke, with dwarves fleeing in every direction.
The beast passed over the first bridge, spouting webs all over.

It was then that the first reports reached me.
As I rushed towards the zone, with the defense force in tow, the sounds of battle and death reached my ears.
I knew then that I had no choice. I was the bearer of my race, I was our future.
"Kill the damned thing, but be smart about it!" I shouted to my former training partners, and stood back.
Today was not to be the day of my death.

After a brief wait, silence descended below.
The deed was done, the beast slain.
Onul Azinmosus, the captain of the militia who guards the tower atop the neutral zone, had slain the beast with a silver bolt from his crossbow.

Today a great tragedy has befallen both the mountain and the suppressed.
Death has struck on both sides.
Could I have prevented this?
Why did I not charge in and face the beast?
My pride has been tarnished, and I must reflect on these happenings.
Perhaps the chapel, filled with strange priests but familiar gods, will provide the answers I seek.
This has not been foretold in the words of Ardesh.
I was blind and ignorant to think he had the answers, to think I had the way.

I have failed to protect my people.
How can I now presume to lead them?

« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 11:18:25 am by EinsteinSatDown »

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2014, 06:59:12 am »

The Journal of Nokzam Oddomdakas

9th Felsite 254

As I trudged back through the slums, I felt the sadness, the anger.
My cowardice was witnessed by the defense force, and word quickly spread that the leader has lost her pride, that she hesitated were others bravely ran towards the danger.
I saw the way everyone looked at me, with scorn and hatred in their eyes.
Once or twice some of them even spat at me.
Have they now begun to blame their misfortunes upon me?
I, who wanted to save our race and let us prosper beyond belief?
They wanted a scapegoat, and they chose me.
So be it.

I am no longer the leader of this place, the people have now turned back to Sionnach for guidance.
I am a ghost, drifting through the filth that has become dwarven-kind
I went back to the one task that clears my mind of late, carving the histories of our people into the Firsthall.
It was there that Onul, Ultramagnus's right-hand dwarf, gave a strange shout and bolted upwards.
It seems that he has been set upon by a mood, a curse and a blessing to our people.

Surely this will increase the acclaim of the thugs, especially if Onul completes his project.
But truly, I do not care. These political maneuvers have left me exhuasted, I now only want peace for my mangled psyche.
Let the thugs prosper, let them bring sorrow to the hearts of the weak.

It seems that Onul has begun his project.

11th Felsite 254

Both the Followers of The Path and the Priests of Armok have riled up the masons to expand the chapel.
Tacomagic seems content with her growing power, and the populace has now come to see her as a spiritual leader, a beacon of light
against the shadow of the mountain.

This happens as Sionnach oversees the construction of the second level of the riverside walls.
With everyone busy, I can finally take time to decide upon my future.
Tonight I shall confer with the miners.
Whether they respect me or not, I am quite sure they will not be able to resist my offer.
Tonight, I shall begin drawing up detailed maps of the slums.
They will play a vital role in my grand plan.

14th Felsite 254
It is done.
I have held secret meetings with the miners.
The only exception is Ultramagnus, who has taken up mining our halls in her off-time.
I did not know how she would react, for I am not sure where her loyalty truly lies.
Minkot, Sigun, Deler and Illogical Blox have agreed to follow through with my plan, though it took a lot of convincing and argumentation.
Some promises where made, promises that I will do my best to keep.

Onul has finished his creation.

The dwarves who had gathered around the workshop to view it walked away grumbling, not impressed with his clothes-making skills.

19th Felsite 254

By decree of Sionnach, Meng the mayor has taken Kaladin's former quarters from me.
I am now forced to live amongst the dirt-stained walls that most here call home.

24th Felsite 254

News spread that a child has been born today, further swelling the number of dwarves in this accursed place.
I pity this defenseless being, for he was born on the wrong side of the river.

I have decided to act now. A statue depicting large roaches will be placed outside the walls, beyond the bridge.
If the miners see the statue, they will know what has to be done.

26th Felsite 254

It is done.
We move when summer comes.

1st Hematite 254

A new day has dawned.
As we make our way into the mountain, I reflect on the mistakes I have made.
How can I presume to save all dwarven-kind, if they can not even save themselves from their tyrants?
No, my hopes for my kin stand a better chance of being realized within the halls of those I once cursed.

The works of Ardesh Ficklefoot lie at the bottom of the river, forever sullied by the mud.
The ideals I held onto so strongly lie forgotten, forever destroyed by my rejection as leader.
The peasants I tried to save lie behind me, forever corrupted by their lack of will.

I bring almost all of western Glovedloved's miners to the mountain, and I shall engrave the halls they dig out with images of untold splendor.
I bring detailed maps of every building that has been constructed, and knowledge of the schemes of Sionnach and those who still bow to her will.
What reason does the mountain has to reject us now?
By their laws, one dwarf should be ascended every year.
These laws have not been upheld and some of their people have died.
Truly, will they not be overjoyed to see us?
I will make sure to confer with them as soon as I enter my new home.
Together, we shall build a vault within which our race can survive into all eternity.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:22:22 am by EinsteinSatDown »

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • More than meets the eye
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2014, 10:39:30 am »

From the Journal of UltraMagnus - Felsite:

I had a drink with the other off-duty thugs two day after the beast attack; our thugs could have been wiped out due to Nokzam's lack of vigilance towards the neutral zone. "The blood of the mountain dwellers," I can remember Urvad stating, "...Was not spilled under our responsibility." T'was luck, really, that we all went off-duty before the beast attacked. I have no doubts the Loyalists would have threatened to sacrifice our gang to the beast to spare their own troops had we been assembled and armored. With how well they've done a good job at policing the slum district and imprisoning their brethren within the city walls, all of their 'equality of dwarf kind' talk seems to hold no real meaning anymore. The night was awkward celebration under the facade of appreciation for the militia. Nobody asked questions, nobody cares.

Onul later on had a strange mood and created a legendary scarf made of webbing. Nokzam was... less than pleased with it, and sulked away in shame. The attack seems to have really shaken him up. All of that work to secure the slums, and he let the Mountain suffer as a result of his narrow focus. No, I don't plan to use this encounter for my plans, yet; we're still on holiday and I intend to level my mind before returning to my old ways.

Orders for new tunnels to be dug have been issued. Whatever keeps me in shape keeps me in shape, and the rhythmical clang of picks on stone is rather calming.

- - - - -

As requested, Onul has used webbing to patch a cut in my other gauntlet, much to the amusement of both of us. Given Nokzam's plotting, I have no doubts that I will need it to remember this attack; he has been scheming with the other miners. Other miners... he either doesn't trust me or he doesn't think me a skilled enough miner to be up to the task. He's right in his own way, I don't feel it in my heart at this time to become a professional hole digger. Regardless, this break was good for my body and soul; I shall consider more in the future for the thugs.

More leisure time will have to wait, however, as we now are to resume operations as scheduled. Back to training, plotting, and dreaming with/for the lot of us.

I stand now, swinging my hammer to get the blood in my veins revitalized, waiting to see the outcome of Ral's decision and smiling at Nokzam's attempts to get the mountain to notice the broken dwarf. By all means, let him escape this hellhole. Good for him. The thugs shall see how the mountain reacts before we make our next move.

Nokzam, make your carvings masterful, so that if you leave this district and mold into a life of security and wealth then the rest of us will have something to stare at. Not a table, not a mug, but something that the mountain can never tax: art. Carved crudely and fueled by the raw emotions of defeat, anger, and disappointment, but still, art.
Will it be a cautionary tale of tragedy, to avoid what broke a strong dwarf? Would it rather be a tale of unexpected peace and triumph, that a broken dwarf sees past the abstractions of honor and duty to overcome his regret and make an example of himself? I plea to you from this journal, Nokzam. Show us all your raw muse and carve without any regard to the Loyalists, the miners, or even the Mountaineers. Carve, damn you!

Onul and Monom stand outside the barracks, observing the construction. They watch, not out of spite, conspiracy, or malice, but out of curiosity. I think I'll go join them in a little bit, I could go for some rum-tea cocktail right about now. My blood has been boiling in excitement for some overdue culture to be brought to the Neutral Zone.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 01:41:12 am by UltraMagnus »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2014, 12:55:37 pm »

Sionnach's Journal, 9th of Felsite.

I wish there were some way I could comfort Nokzam, but the talent has always escaped me. The only thing I was good at was surviving and I should have been content with that, but I just had to try finish Omeganaut's work. Even now, I'm more worried about how Nokzam's mood is going to affect the people she's meant to be leading than I am about the dwarf herself. I've asked Meng to try get her through this, but he can't seem to get through to her. Every day Nokzam seems more distant, and I worry about what she's going to do. If the Loyalists fall again, I don't know if we'll be able to get back up. The people of the slums have been coming to me for guidance, and although I've been sending them back to Nokzam up to now, if she doesn't start showing some initiative again, I may have no option but to retake the helm.

5th of Hematite.

The only reason I hold a pen now is to stop me from holding my axe. Rage is a feeling I am well familiar with, and it fills me now with the heat of magma. I refused to believe in Nokzam's treachery, but I would be a fool to deny it any longer. The statue of roaches still stands by the river, reminding us all of her betrayal. A roach is a fitting symbol for her, I think. So be it. As a leader, I must do what I can to continue guiding the people of the prospects. We have to stand firm after this travesty. As a leader, I shouldn't seek something as petty as revenge.

But I will.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 04:54:09 pm by Deus Asmoth »
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2014, 02:35:39 pm »

Excerpts from the journal of TacoMagic Rigņthigėr, Priestess of the Followers:

1st Hematite,

A fell wind blows across Glovedloved.  Since the beast from the depths attacked, we have been adrift.  I have done what I can to shore up the spirits of my people, but there is a pall hanging over the city, threatening with a storm to come.

I have tried to stay out of the politics of Glovedloved, but as the situation deteriorates we are all in danger of being pulled into this conflagration of shifting alliances and shadow dealings.  There is an entire sordid underworld in Glovedloved built on this politic of secrecy.  Until recently I've defended myself with a shield of, perhaps willful, ignorance.  But the days I can remain detached from this chess-match of intrigue are numbered.

Even now my reputation grows as our leader's fails her.  More and more I am approached by members of all the factions.  Some seeking absolution for petty infractions against their fellows, some looking for guidance, others tactical advice from the only mountain dweller to escape the taint, some for simple guidance in things both spiritual and mundane, and still others to take up the cloth of priest for either Armok or the Path itself.  I am still unsure why some has asked if they may join the priests.  Surely that is a question for Maskwold and not myself. 

With all these new responsibilities it has been nearly a full year since I have had the opportunity for meditative cleansing and I can feel the lack.  I am tempted by this sudden position of regard and all that it offers.  Sorely tempted.

After what has happened to Kaladin  I know the importance of standing fast against these temptations.  The temptations of wealth, opulence, and comfort.  Of power.  I must find time to get away and meditate on my future as well as the future of the followers and Glovedloved.  I do not envy my priests the blowback from my absence, but it is necessary more now than ever.  I must first shore up my own spirit before I can be trusted to support the souls of Glovedloved.

I must also admit to myself that I also miss the company of Spritebrush, so I cannot claim complete altruism for my leave of meditation.  My duties have made me a negligent companion to him.  Perhaps it is time I heal that bond.

2nd Hematite,

My priests were taken a bit aback by my abrupt announcement of leave.  That is to be expected, I have not talked much of meditation to them.  Upon my return I must fix that oversight.  The Path requires a significant amount of meditation, so I need to schedule time with my priests to teach them of the need of meditation.  I shall also put us all on rotation.  Not necessarily with the dogs, but each with a place where we find our peace.

But enough of the business of the cloth.  The dog pit is mostly the same as ever, with the exception that Spritebrush, despite being a runt, has grown into a very large dog.  And he did not seem to recognize me at all.  The amount of his life that I have missed has me contemplating what is really important.  These moments of clarity are why I come here, and it is always time well spent.  But, before I attend to the matters of meditation and the soul, I must first heal this wound between Spritebrush and myself.  Tomorrow I shall walk Glovedloved with Spritebush.  Traverse the wall, look upon the hill of the "Mountain", splash in the brook, and perhaps take a meal in one of the few remaining fields.

Tomorrow I remind myself why we do not need riches or power.  Hopefully I will find my argument convincing.

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2015, 04:13:44 am »

3rd Hematite 254

We have entered the mountain.
That was the simple part, with the five of us entering the halls amongst a multitude of working thralls.
The next part was difficult, but we succeeded.

Neblime was the first to question our presence.
She asked us how we, mere peasants, dared to enter the mountain of kings.
I then had to summon words to convince her of our usefulness.
"We have come to carve the halls of the mountain, to create opulent rooms filled with treasure and our collective offspring for all eternity. By your laws there should be fourteen kings and queens, we wish only to remind you of those laws.
It is our belief that we are worthy candidates, for we bring the picks of the slums and knowledge of their foul schemes, schemes that may come to topple your thrones if they go unheaded."

Neblime was furious, and it was quite evident that she was ready to use her pick in a most violent manner.
But then, the situation changed.
Nordinkel, the elusive founder of Glovedloved and Digger, a bone carver who had also ascended, stepped in.
They gave us their blessing, for they knew that the mountain needed more skilled hands.
Today, they aid us in digging out new rooms.

It is done.
We have ascended.

In the mountain tradition, we have chosen titles pertaining to our spheres of interest.
Nokzam, Queen of Art.
Illogical_Blox, King of Brimstone.
Minkot, Queen of Granite.
Deler, Queen of Marble.
Sigun, King of Roasts.

I am now a Queen over those who rejected me.
I am now a traitor to those I once aided.
May they fester in their dirt hovels, may they be punished for their ignorance.
I am beyond their reach.

9th Hematite 254

I overheard two thralls talking today of a great stone structure which is being built in the slums.

No doubt Sionnach is trying to shore up morale after my defection.
Though they have almost no miners, they have masons and stone, more than enough to create a tower of some prominence.
Why do they work so eagerly now that I am gone?
It is as if they are mocking me even now, shouting: "Look at us! We rise! We do not need you nor your floundering mind!"
I.....must find a way to prevent the construction of this monument, lest it rises past the mountain itself.

I now have no choice but to find out how much influence the mountain truly has.
When I led the oppressed, I assumed that the mountain worked in the shadows, acting as a puppet master unbeknown to it's puppets.
Now, I am not so sure. Perhaps the kings and queens have not yet taken us into our confidence, or their their influence was merely imaginary, a collective trick of the mind.

I will now make arrangements to meet with Ultramagnus.
I have to discern where her loyalties truly lie, and how she can aid me in getting revenge.

12th Hematite 254

A thrall loyal to us has brought word of a human caravan advancing towards the depot.
Now I shall observe whether the mountain holds enough power to trade the crafts of the slums for goods from the tall-folk.
One of Sionnach's minions has handled trade in the past, and after bringing this fact to Nordinkel's attention, he has appointed Illogical_Blox as the new broker.

18th Hematite 254

Amongst the crazed activity that comes with a trade caravan, word has reached me from one of my old confederates that Meng has been re-elected as mayor. No doubt Sionnach is thrilled that her greatest ally maintains the vote of the people.

As I pondered the implications of this upon the morale of the peasantry, a most terrible sound resonated from the depths.
It was almost like the call of a bird, though more guttural and filled with blood-lust.
Terror was evident on the faces of man and dwarf alike, and the order was given for the passage to the deeps to be walled in.

We seem to be safe from the deep horrors, for now.
Trade can commence undisturbed.

21st Hematite 254

Upon my suggestion, our miners have dug out quarters for the thralls.
I am sure Sionnach is seething, for this is an obvious ploy to soften the minds of the slaves towards their overlords.
I find this change in my nature interesting.
This oppression once enraged me, but now I see it as necessary for the ascension of our race.
How is the right path determined?
We mortals can only act, the truth forever obscured from our limited minds.
If we can not know the truth, why then do we delude ourselves that we do?
Truly, my ascension has done wonders for the wanderings of the mind.
Given more free time, I now lift the mental fog that once prevailed.

25th hematite 254

Illogical_Blox has surpassed our expectations.
Choosing him as the new broker was a brilliant ploy, with positive results.

After haggling to and fro, a large assignment of crafts were traded for every morsel of food and drink that the humans had brought.
He also took off them all the available metal bars.
This strategy of his has been well thought out.
With him facilitating the trade, we made sure that no new weapons or armor would reach the hands of Sionnach.
Furthermore, seeing as we traded crafts that came mostly from the west, it is too be expected that some of the food and drink traded would reach the peasants.
They gain some happiness, while we gain vast stores of food and booze that will last us quite a while and metal with which we can further the conditions in the vault.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 11:06:46 am by EinsteinSatDown »

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2015, 11:08:06 am »

From the Journal of UltraMagnus - Hematite:

"'Queen of Art?' Oh, so pretentious of her..."

Urvad stood trembling, baring news that of the latest ploy by our 'beloved' Overseer was to meet with me personally to discuss enforcing the mountain, or, as Nokzam insisted on calling it, the "vault"'s reign over GlovedLoved. "Such is too bold of a move for someone of his position, he's already stolen a sizable amount of miners from the slum district."

I glanced over at Ral, eagerly waiting to hear the rest of my train of thought. "Sionnach will no doubt notice this, and he still has connections to the neutral zone. My decision to attend should be made under the assumption that the entire slum district will catch hold of it, as well as any discussion made within the meeting itself to assumed to be within a public space, regardless of whatever (inevitably) private base it should be. Would Nokzam poke his head out of the mountain for it to be cut off, or will I see the results of his grand scheme for living in preserved and eternal luxury."

Urvad calmed a bit, "You mean you're going?"

I dismissed Ral and Urvad from my quarters, I had to change into more fitting attire.

I prepare to close my journal and swap it in my immediate possession with my field note logbook. I will document my first field entry after he has greeted me.

K:ls2pilnpu avzbzwlja aoha uvrght pzjvuzwpypunav thrlhu hytfavlumvyjl aoltvbuahpuz ylpnuzvaoha sprlbzol ohzuvaopunav mlhymyvtaol jpcpsphuklmluzlmvyjl. K:ls9ymnxrjfsxymfy fyfsdynrj ymjqtdfqnxyxbnqq ywdytfyyfhpzx gdwjqjfxnslymj gjfxy, ujwmfuxymjrtzsyfns bnqqywdytzxjzxfx kttiktwymjrtsxyjwnk bjijkdymjr, sfdymfybtzqirjfs fhyzfqqdxbjfwnslfqqjlnfshj ytymjrfsiktw ymjrtzsyfnsgjnslxzgyqjfgtzy ymjnwfrgnyntsxfsiuqtyynsl. nxmfqqktwymjltti tkrdlfslfsi ymjxqzrx, ktwbjfwjgzy ymjrtxywjqnfgqjfsxbjwymjd mfajktwfsjzywfqqfb nsymnxutqnynhfqsnlmyrfwj, uqfdfqtslktwstb, gzynkymjrtzsyfnsxjjpx ytrfpjzxnyx itlxymjsbjbnqqgj bnymfuwnhjfxns ymjifdxtk Skulls mjwxjqkfsibnymhfzynts ytbfwix fsdtwijwxtknsajxynlfynts. fsjbvzfwyjwxfbf dkwtrymfyfhhzwxji yzssjqbtzqi gjsnhjnksty fgwniljyt fhhtrufsdymjbfqq htruqjyjbnymf qjajwnsrdvzfwyjwx. xzhmbtzqigjsnhj, nxmfqqgwnsl ymnxzuytymj rtzsyfnswjlfwiqjxx tkymjnsyjsy tkymjsjltynfyntsx. K:ls7tymjw pjdx fwjxjajs fsiknajnsymfytwijw

- - - - -

"Pil-ne-poo av-zebbezewulja..."
Even if the Loyalists don't go snooping into my journal, hearing Onul try to read it has made this cryptic writing worth the effort. I dismissed him to contact Nokzam so that he may schedule the meeting.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 11:31:32 pm by UltraMagnus »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2015, 09:07:17 pm »

Diary of neblime queen of rock

It has been proven that neither I nor any other dwarf has control over who enters this mountain.  I am more of a fool than I thought.  But all is not lost.  I will play their little political game for now, until I can regain power.  When I do all shall tremble in fear and buckle beneath the iron foot of a mountain reborn!
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2015, 06:37:43 am »

1st Malachite 254

Today I stumbled into Onul, Ultramganus's lieutenant.
He insisted I arrange a meeting with her. I found this suspicious, still not knowing Ultramagnus's true intentions.
Instead, I reprimanded him for entering the perimeters of the mountain and sent him away with a letter.
I copy it here for future reference:

5th Malachite 254

The new rooms have been dug out.
Now there will at least be living space for additional ascendants to the vault.

7th Malachite 254

By all the gods, more migrants have arrived!

These damned fools have come from over the mountain to live in the slums.
Migrants pose a danger to those in power, I have seen.
They bring fresh ideals and the pent-up frustration from prolonged traveling.
I truly worry for the safety of the vault. Perhaps some improvements to our defenses are in order.
I will have to confer with Nordinkel or Neblime first, though.
These two seem to be in an ever-shifting power struggle, with divided allegiances existing around them.
The miners and I are still regarded with suspicion, so making a grab for power is out of the question.

11th Malachite 254

The humans traders have departed.
With them they take our trinkets, but what tales do they take?
Shall they speak of the unbroken mountain's opulence, or the suffering of the slums?
I have always found the tall-folk to be enigmatic.
Regardless, they seemed content with the trade.
That, after all, is the primary concern of traders.

18th Malachite 254

Under Neblime's instructions, the miners have begun digging out the first great hall of the mountain.
Soon we shall be able to celebrate our luck amongst engraved pillars and jewel-encrusted thrones.
I have spent sleepless nights pondering on whether I had made the right choice.
Now, faced with this testament to our true nature, I know that entering the mountain was wise indeed.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2015, 09:00:45 am »

Sionnach's Journal
I will admit that I'd hoped Nokzam would reveal that her defection was all part of some plot to bring down the mountain from within. It is time to give that up. Morale is as low as it has ever been and living in a dream world won't help that. She is as much of a cockroach as the statue she used to signal her betrayal. We are still fully capable of defending ourselves from the mountain if they try to take our new lodgings from us, and I've ordered the CDF to be as visible as possible to remind them of that fact. With any luck I'll be able to get the religious leaders to speak out against the traitors. Tacomagic at least shouldn't appreciate someone luring so many off the Path for their own gain. As a leader my responsibility is to my people. I shouldn't go chasing something as petty and personal as revenge. So I shall call it justice.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2015, 04:03:28 pm »

From the Journal of UltraMagnus - Malachite:

"Oh, did they manhandle my big boy?" Onul seemed disappointed that he couldn't arrange a meeting proper with Nokzam, but the letter was enough of a signal of how boasted he considered himself within the mountain. I held my pen over the note, with the rest of the thugs gathered around for an official group meeting.

"Join the mountain?" Ral didn't seem to cringe at the irony of this statement. Really though, this was just a minor side-effect of my prediction coming into effect. Now we just need to wait this out...

"Let's weigh our options," I told the group (for at this moment we were and were not thugs).

"On one hand, if we say 'no', we align ourselves with the Loyalists as silent allies (or at least, the mountain will see this as such). We submit to the martial law of Sionnach and his paranoia, doomed to rule under the harsh rule of a self-righteous dwarf that seeks to call his own emotional breakdowns 'law.'"

"On the other hand, if we say 'yes,' we bind ourselves to the terms listed in this letter." I started to strike a few lines along Nokzam's hastily-written penmanship. "I cannot speak for the rest of you, but I suspect too much that Nokzam considers us as common fools that can be easily tricked. There are several parts of this agreement I could do without, specifically this paragraph." I started to circle my pen around the paragraph that began with Accept our proposal, and you shall be... "I was trusted to succeed, not abolish this gang, and a shift in title by the appointment of the mountain is still an allegiance if we choose to submit to it. At any time I could have shifted our title to something else quite easily, the Loyalists need no Mountain appointment to call themselves such. I'm also not keen on being expected to be a tattletale to the Loyalists."

"You shall be allowed to fill your ranks with willing dwarves," I glanced over at Ral. "More meaningless words, but note how he does not say from which district we would pool from. I do like, however, the prospects of having arms to match the CDF."

The rest of the group was eager to make suggestions as I scribbled down on a sheet of paper. The ink bled from my written response into this journal, so really I've just been stalling until I reach it that way I can explain why it suddenly says...

"There, now we can work for them without joining them..."

Onul took the letter and waited outside the Mountain gate. We watched him, eager to guard him from any Loyalist ambushes.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 11:48:33 pm by UltraMagnus »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]