Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question: How do I make build walls engraveble?  (Read 2815 times)

Tabris01

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Question: How do I make build walls engraveble?
« on: November 19, 2014, 08:55:52 am »

Title says all. I'm intending to build and play a surface city, and I'd like to engrave buildings like the Royal Palace, Meeting Hall and such. How do I mod that?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Question: How do I make build walls engraveble?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 09:13:23 am »

You don't.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 09:59:17 am »

It's hard coded, ie not in the raws.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 10:11:32 am »

You could DFHack your constructed walls into unmined tiles and work with those.  Doesn't work for every material and probably not easy to implement, but it's the closest you can get in the current version of the game.  This engraving-constructed-walls idea does come up once in a while in the Suggestions forum.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Tabris01

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 12:38:24 pm »

Well, nothing to do about it then.

But thanks for the answers :)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 12:58:03 pm »

Isn't there a dwarvish answer to this one, or am I wrong: Magma!

Flood the foundation of your palace with magma and follow up with water, and you have an obsidian layer ready for digging and smoothing/engraving. Of course if you're planning a palace spanning multiple z-levels, you need to create several obsidian layers on top of each other, but that's a chore for your hard-working dwarves (hanging on the edge of insanity as a follow-up for a string of magma accidents).

The effort could take "some" time, but hey, you can kill some goblins while you wait.

EDIT: You could even build molds (is that the correct word?) in the shape of your palace walls, and obsidianize (is THAT a word?) the magma inside the mold with water, and repeat layer after layer. The foundation and floor layers should of course be the size of your palace so you can engrave the floors. That would be even more dwarven.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:08:50 pm by 46852 »

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 01:15:36 pm »

Making it more Dwarven: Use the mold to store Elven and Goblin prisoners, as well as unwanted members of society, like Nobles and Babies.  THEN fill it magma and water.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 02:07:44 pm »

Making it more Dwarven: Use the mold to store Elven and Goblin prisoners, as well as unwanted members of society, like Nobles and Babies.  THEN fill it magma and water.

"There's a history in these palace walls, my son Urist, there truly is... and I don't mean just the exceptional engravings..."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 02:18:02 pm »

By your logic the chinese and their great wall are quite dwarven.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 03:01:16 pm »

Building a massive, impractical construction to keep hordes of barbarians out, and doing so with no regard for the wellbeing of your own labour force, all the while filling said impractical humungous wall with the bodies of the dead members of said labour force? That sounds about as dwarfy as a human can possibly get
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 08:36:53 pm »

No, they didn't use elves.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 10:23:20 pm »

This probably CAN be modded, but in a very complicated fashion. There's already mods that can completely change tiletypes. You should be able to make a script that listens for walls being built, and then in dfhack, changes them secretly into natural smoothed walls instantly, thus making them engravable. You would need to know how to program though and be willing to be frustrated at trying for a few days and maybe get some help on IRC.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 02:05:42 am »

You would need to know how to program though and be willing to be frustrated at trying for a few days and maybe get some help on IRC.

Just use magma and you can forget about frustration :)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 01:24:28 pm »

Back when I had forts that crashed anytime I had something stolen by those damn keas (or certain select objects going missing), I usually used a DFHack script to create obsidian walls, and engraved them into Pandora Boxes that stored the bugged items, never to be released, and troublesome objects get teleported into them for safekeeping from crashing the game on me.

These monoliths of mystery, not out of place for 2001: A Space Odyssey, are excellent for preserving your games' integrity.

EDIT:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:42:39 pm by Itnetlolor »

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 01:38:52 pm »

We know what's in the Kaaba... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaaba#mediaviewer/File:Kaaba-plan.svg

But anyway, yes manually making the walls is a technically easier, although extremely tedious for any large sized project, solution!
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.