Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 156526 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #435 on: February 05, 2015, 03:50:21 pm »

For the record, a thrust ratio equivalent to 2.5g is nearly three times that of a fuel-less SR-71 blackbird.
Heh, yeah, that occurred to me. I think most military jet fighters are considered really good if they have a TWR of >1, i.e. capable of vertical climb. That's really a rather different story for VTOLs though, that have a TWR of >1 as a base necessity. :)

I think I got confused there, and I must have made a mistake juggling numbers in my head, and forgot the larger concept.  Of course you can build one with a sufficiently energy-dense power source.  I suppose the question is if it can be called 'wearable'.  You should be able to do better than that concept craft, though, ER batteries are a lot better than real batteries.
I think I'll make a schematic drawing later, I usually do better at communicating my ideas with pictures. Basically it'd be "wearable" in the sense that it's all attached to the armor the pilot is wearing. There's no "frame", there's just the humanoid articulated shell with the two pivoting pylons, and the self-contained ducted fan assemblies plus power pack that are attached to it.

Hmm, those are some pretty damn big rotors on that experimental craft.
I think they made the rotors big because of the fan-in-wing design. Small rotors would be occluded by the wing too much in horizontal flight.

Unfortunately, there's a real dearth of specs available.  I can't even say how big the rotors are, much less how much thrust it generates, or how much power is stored, or what it's weight capacity is.  It's also far too big to really be called wearable.
Yes, that I agree with. They're really rather secretive about their project's details. And the NASA Puffin never had a full-scale model built either, to see its actual specs. Though I wouldn't deign to call the Puffin wearable either. :P

TBH, in order to lift another person you'd need it to lift about another 60kg.  If you're a bit short, you're left with a vehicle that relatively slowly drops to earth, and that's workable.  That would require a max thrust of about 12N/kg, which should be doable, and beaten only by really exotic rotorcraft using things like RoR.  It would also result in a very usable climb rate of several thousand feet per second, which is more than perfectly functional, and probably a top speed between 100km/h and 200km/h

I'll do the math a bit later.  I'm getting a bit burned out on this today, and have other stuff to do right now.  Okay?  I'm also going to need to do the math on comparing ER batteries and such to normal chemical energy, and that'll make my head hurt.

Off the cuff, it looks doable, but I can't say how big it needs to be without doing the math.

That's alright, and I can't really ask for more, can I? :) Thanks for your help in sorting this one out. ^_^
(Or trying to sort it out, anyway. :P)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 05, 2015, 08:42:48 pm »

Hey, Empiricist, I'd really like you to answer my question about whether Charles would allow other Hephaestians to listen to your interrogation/turning of Leo.

Partially, this is because you're really wrong about some things.  For example, the HMRC was created entirely by Steve centuries ago, explicitly to collect alien artifacts for his use, gain him additional brain mass, and to train an army.  The UWM had almost nothing to do with it, and what they did were prompted by Steve manipulating people.

Also, there is the problem that you're trying to logically argue an illogical position.  Honestly, if Leo were converted by this, and Saint could hear how, he would very quickly leave the command center and manufacture himself an array of battlesuits.  It makes more sense to me that he'd lie in an effort to get another chance at sabotage, rather than be converted.  I'm rather surprised Dev hasn't already tried that.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #437 on: February 05, 2015, 09:24:52 pm »

Propaganda doesn't have to be true. Or logical.

I think Charles is taking the Liberal Crime Squad approach to converting: "Tie the man up and keep talking to him until he either buys our ideas or dies." He even used props in the form of pie charts and videos. Next thing you know, he'll be beating him up while yelling "UWM! Tech-bans! Magisters!" and pumping him full of Xeno-LSD.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 05, 2015, 09:30:21 pm »

Oh sorry, I don't really check this thread as much as I should.

I'd be happy to have Charles' interrogation get monitored, especially seeing as he is quite lacking in information and really bad at interrogating people as should be quite evident seeing as now all he's doing is arguing with the prisoner.

And yes, I have been suspicious from the start that Leo may attempt that, though unfortunately Charles is a bit more naive. Personally, OOC, I want to feed Leo's body to a Xanling and save myself the effort :P

The pie charts are for other people, I really have no idea what is in them since for all I know, it's a rant about talking sheep and giant sentient space parasites. So until Lars and Miyamoto can be contacted to review them, I can't use them.

Edit: If I really wanted to (though it'd be kinda cheap) I could try having Charles force another Speech vs Willpower roll in an attempt to convince Leo that the UWM has been manufacturing talking sheep and using bold text to control people.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:35:56 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 05, 2015, 09:51:28 pm »

You could have my help in that regard if I were awoken again.

Man, offering Faustian bargains is fun.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 05, 2015, 10:04:30 pm »

Why the hell do you think I've been trying to get a Xanling as a suit for Charles? I need someone cynical and more, pragmatic, to help make him more effective.

Yes, he is so bad at interrogation, taking advice from Xan would probably help.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 05, 2015, 10:10:43 pm »

Fortunately I think I've figured out how to make bodies for people without going STAN, so I can do that.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 05, 2015, 10:17:50 pm »

I meant having an outer "shell" consisting of a Xanling with a brain. Charles needs advice, not flesh.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 05, 2015, 10:20:11 pm »

Ok, but the xanlings two solutions would be, in no particular order, either just eat him or infect him with a different xanling
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 05, 2015, 10:22:14 pm »

Ok, but the xanlings two solutions would be, in no particular order, either just eat him or infect him with a different xanling
Somehow, that is still an improvement.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 06, 2015, 12:23:37 am »

@Emp

First, thank you, I just laughed pretty hard at that Xanling exchange.

Anyway, if you want IC advice, have Charles ask Saint or Heph personnel in general- I'd be very happy to help.  Mostly though, I asked if we could review the tapes so I'd have a justification to react if things went bad. 

If you want OOC advice... well, I was talking with a friend about ER a few days ago, and he recommended leaving Leo in a room with a curved floor made of the near-frictionless stuff.  If we left the door wide open, snd made sure that he wouldn't quite be able to reach the door, it would be wonderful psychological torture.  Also, hilarious.

@Paris

Sure, propoganda can be whatever you want.  Problem is, it doesn't seem like Emp has been saying anything in a way that doesn't appear to be lying, if that makes sense.  To my knowledge, Leo should know Steve created the HMRC (although he could have forgotten in the years of confinement).

Also, it seems like Emp has been trying to be as truthful as possible; didn't he research useful facts, rather than fabricating them?

@Radio (BS2 name)

I'm honestly just looking for suggestions I like, although a vote would be nice.  "Combat Hardsuit" doesn't... sound nice to me, and it sounds like it's a very different thing from a battlesuit.

"Beetlesuit" sounds nice, it fits into a theme which my brain likes, and it reflects the fact that it's basically a battlesuit that's slightly different.  I don't think it's any more confusing, because both terms would require looking them up, and at most Beetlesuit will evoke the image of a battlesuit covered in beetle chitin- which isn't far off the mark.  But, two people have said they dislike it, so I won't use it.  I take the weird-name route often enough as-is.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 06, 2015, 12:30:41 am »

Wait, is the 'Beetlesuit' the one that's intended for a braincase? How is it a 'suit' at all if it's basically a body? Call it a battleborg or something. (or a beetleborg, if you want)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 12:33:51 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 06, 2015, 12:52:46 am »

...Okay, maybe Radio's right that I shouls give it a more descriptive name.

The "Beetlesuit" is actually just Battlesuit 2.0.  Basically, it's just got much thinner armor made of our new types, and the improvements that are in my last Heph turn.  It also has minor improvements that allow it to fit through doors slightly easier.

The Heavy robobody, which is what you're thinking of, has a more descriptive name.  I was going to update it with the new armor after I finish the Battlesuit 2.0.

I wasn't gonna rename it, but now Sean made me want to.  Beetleborg has such nice alliteration.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 06, 2015, 12:58:51 am »

So then, once again, why not "Beetleborg" Combar Hardsuit? The descriptive part of the name can be tweaked if you dislike the "combat hardsuit" word combination in particular.
That said, I fear that however we name it, it'll be "battlesuit 2.0" or "new battlesuit" for quite a while - the overall design mostly remained intact, I'm afraid.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 06, 2015, 03:09:22 am »

Anyway, if you want IC advice, have Charles ask Saint or Heph personnel in general- I'd be very happy to help.  Mostly though, I asked if we could review the tapes so I'd have a justification to react if things went bad.
Okay, I'll be sure to do that next turn.

If you want OOC advice... well, I was talking with a friend about ER a few days ago, and he recommended leaving Leo in a room with a curved floor made of the near-frictionless stuff.  If we left the door wide open, snd made sure that he wouldn't quite be able to reach the door, it would be wonderful psychological torture.  Also, hilarious.
As hilarious as it might be, I'd rather not have an open door lest someone fall in and end up having a frictionless fist fight.

Also, it seems like Emp has been trying to be as truthful as possible; didn't he research useful facts, rather than fabricating them?
Well, truthful about certain details. Charles is making assumptions in some departments, resulting in some unintentional lies.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 155