Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Who was your most ridiculous noble that you put up with?  (Read 3178 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: Who was your most ridiculous noble that you put up with?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 05:06:00 pm »

weird, I always take my time building the noble rooms.

It's definitely never top priority.

I think it has to do with personality traits, and if you are dumb enough to give people lower than the noble on totem pole sweet digs before her. My problem might have been that I had a decent sized and awkwardly shaped space near my meeting-hall, so I gave it to my Scribe (Orcish Combination Bookeeper and Manager). I also started giving some of my Orcs (rather modest) individual bedrooms, which likely didn't help my case either.

When I just let everybody sleep in a dorm, and don't give my bookeeping nobles anything more than a chair in the meeting hall, The other nobles tend to be patient when it comes to waiting for their houses.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 06:23:31 pm »

weird, I always take my time building the noble rooms.

It's definitely never top priority.

I think it has to do with personality traits, and if you are dumb enough to give people lower than the noble on totem pole sweet digs before her. My problem might have been that I had a decent sized and awkwardly shaped space near my meeting-hall, so I gave it to my Scribe (Orcish Combination Bookeeper and Manager). I also started giving some of my Orcs (rather modest) individual bedrooms, which likely didn't help my case either.

When I just let everybody sleep in a dorm, and don't give my bookeeping nobles anything more than a chair in the meeting hall, The other nobles tend to be patient when it comes to waiting for their houses.
WELL, my Bureaucrat had a 15 sqr engraved office with a nice floor and chair... whoops. He got mad FAST.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 03:18:51 pm »

Seriously, is this ALL the ridiculous nobles? THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS. GATHER THE ROSE GOLD FOR THE BED.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 03:25:23 pm »

Mandates for impossible objects were squashed just after .40d, or there about.

These days, nobles make "Demands", but those can be safely ignored. In the past, you could be faced with the following problem:

1) A noble that you did not select shows up to your fortress.
2) They refuse to work. AT ALL.
3) They make recurring demands for slade beds and native aluminum axes. (No, literally.)
4) They end up killing or otherwise disabling (through repeated imprisonment) your highly skilled workforce, because of these dumbass mandates that cannot possibly be met.

This is why "Unfortunate accidents" were REAALY popular back then, and why people that didnt want to commit repeated regicide would outfit the hammerer with a styrofoam candy mallet instead of an actual hammer instead. "50 lashes with a wet noodle" kind of punishment gets the obstruction overwith quickly, and mostly painlessly.

Unless somebody hoards images for years and years, you wont get many good pics of absurd mandates, unless somebody is a masochist and is playing 40d.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 04:50:05 pm »

These days, nobles make "Demands", but those can be safely ignored. In the past, you could be faced with the following problem:

3) They make recurring demands for slade beds and native aluminum axes. (No, literally.)
4) They end up killing or otherwise disabling (through repeated imprisonment) your highly skilled workforce, because of these dumbass mandates that cannot possibly be met.

This is why "Unfortunate accidents" were REAALY popular back then, and why people that didnt want to commit repeated regicide would outfit the hammerer with a styrofoam candy mallet instead of an actual hammer instead. "50 lashes with a wet noodle" kind of punishment gets the obstruction overwith quickly, and mostly painlessly.

Unless somebody hoards images for years and years, you wont get many good pics of absurd mandates, unless somebody is a masochist and is playing 40d.
Yeah, I know, but the image of a rose gold bed is just too damn funny to forgot.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 08:29:53 pm »

1 and 4 still happen, 1 to a far higher extent now that title inheritance works properly. Also now that title inheritance works properly unfortunate accidents just cause the title to be given to somebody else meaning you can never permanently get rid of your nobles, though you can replace them with potentially less annoying ones.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 02:41:46 am »

My worst was actually a duo of nobles (mayor and baron/count), who worked together to drive me insane;
They would constantly mandate export bans just as the caravan was leaving the map, and since the entire fort would help carry stuff to the depot, it was like playing Russian roulette with my most valuable dwarfs.
Pages: 1 [2]