Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Swimming movement preference  (Read 992 times)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Swimming movement preference
« on: November 19, 2014, 09:19:51 pm »

Does it do anything? What is it meant to do?

I can't see any difference. I always have to alt-move.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Swimming movement preference
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 11:47:31 am »

I am pretty sure that disabling automatic swimming makes you just walk on the bottom of water.  This will obviously cause you to drown pretty fast, so it's not recommended.  I could be mistaken though - it's been a while since I tried it.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 07:43:54 pm »

It makes no difference for a dwarf.

With 1 z-level of 7/7 water:
With air above he will always swim with either setting.
With either setting he will move to 1 z-level 7/7 water without air above and start drowning. This is without using Alt+direction.

With 2 z-levels of 7/7 water, while in the upper level of water:
With air above he will always swim with either setting.
With either setting sometimes he will move to the upper level of 2 z-level 7/7 water without air above and start drowning and sometimes he won't. This is without using Alt+direction. (Some tree/mushroom parts will stop him, some won't. Need to find a spot with natural stone to test.)

With 2 z-levels of 7/7 water, while in the lower level of water, he will never automatically move to the upper level, with either setting.

~~~

Something I just found out while playing around with this:

When in 1 z-level deep water you can alt+move into the air above. You then have a tick to use climbing.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 01:51:33 pm »

I looked at this again, and I think I was mis-remembering how this works.  Sorry about that. 

If you look at the swimming page from the wiki, you will see that creatures can swim in water from depth 4/7 to 7/7, but it is only required if the depth is at least 1 full tile of 7/7.  Therefore if you set "when necessary", you adventurer should only swim if water depth is 7/7 or more.  If you set "when possible" then they should swim in water 4/7 or more.  I haven't actually confirmed that this is what happens, and this is unfortunately rather hard to test, as I don't know where you can find water of intermediate depth in adventure mode without creating and retiring a fort specifically to create pools of the desired depths.

I also think I vaguely remember that if you are a night creature that doesn't need to breathe, setting "when necessary" will make you walk on the bottom of water, but I could be mistaken.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 01:59:18 pm by Pirate Bob »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 03:50:25 am »

I found a waterfall. Difficult to be certain what with the flow pushing me around, that does seem to be what it does.