Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarves not attacking (or defending, Bug 0008250) any workaround?  (Read 4313 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not attacking (or defending, Bug 0008250) any workaround?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 03:47:19 pm »

Thread would benefit from ppl bothering to look up the thoughts of their "bugged" dwarves. (They may just have panicked.)
actually, most of the dwarves did have something along the line of Can not reach target or no valid target on a direct kill order, secondly, no blue ! over them, civilian dwarves did not really cancel jobs, also if horrified or panicked, should they not run away? and not stand still while roc attacks 20 times all missing or ripping dwarf to pices?
You were using kill orders? That explains it, kill orders are weird with fliers because the dwarves won't be able to path to them directly and choose to do nothing instead of move toward them. In the future you'll have to station the soldiers nearby and either activate the kill order when the dwarves are in firing range or wait for the Roc to attack and trigger the soldiers to fight back...

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 05:26:36 pm »

Thread would benefit from ppl bothering to look up the thoughts of their "bugged" dwarves. (They may just have panicked.)

This bug was reported (many times) prior to the thought rewrite, and I see no evidence to suggest that it has been fixed. I don't know about everyone posting in this thread, but the reported bug is certainly not caused by panicking dwarves.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 05:54:19 am »

This bug was reported (many times) prior to the thought rewrite, and I see no evidence to suggest that it has been fixed. I don't know about everyone posting in this thread, but the reported bug is certainly not caused by panicking dwarves.

I don't really know about others, but military is easily complex enough to feature more than one bug or misunderstood behaviour affecting things. How are you ever to pinpoint it correctly without collecting ALL available information? (It needed my post to get information like the "no valid target" out of the OP, we still don't know e.g. whether his dwarves were melee or marksdwarves or both.) From reading the bug tracker it appears like quite different things are reported as "this bug" and it isn't all that obvious to me why not attacking a roc after several normal fights with goblins is the same bug as not attacking goblins at all or loyalty cascades when attacking goblins.

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 09:13:54 am »

actually, most of the dwarves did have something along the line of Can not reach target or no valid target on a direct kill order, secondly, no blue ! over them, civilian dwarves did not really cancel jobs, also if horrified or panicked, should they not run away? and not stand still while roc attacks 20 times all missing or ripping dwarf to pices?
You were using kill orders? That explains it, kill orders are weird with fliers because the dwarves won't be able to path to them directly and choose to do nothing instead of move toward them. In the future you'll have to station the soldiers nearby and either activate the kill order when the dwarves are in firing range or wait for the Roc to attack and trigger the soldiers to fight back...
Was using stationing close first, but as it did not work, I tried kill orders.

Second, seems I am bad at reading, as did not see someone asking if mele or ranged dwarfs, It was all mele dwarves, have not enough metals to really begin whit a larger bolt production yet, and to few gobs to not enjoy mele.

hmm, thought I mentioned in my first post that I used station and tried whit kill order when that did not work.. (gah, to think that I am so bad at writing bug-reports, I have been annoyed by poorly written error reports before myself)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2014, 01:18:27 pm »

-snip-
Was using stationing close first, but as it did not work, I tried kill orders.

Second, seems I am bad at reading, as did not see someone asking if mele or ranged dwarfs, It was all mele dwarves, have not enough metals to really begin whit a larger bolt production yet, and to few gobs to not enjoy mele.

hmm, thought I mentioned in my first post that I used station and tried whit kill order when that did not work.. (gah, to think that I am so bad at writing bug-reports, I have been annoyed by poorly written error reports before myself)
Oh... it's kind of hard to kill a bird with a hammer... I usually have at least a few archers ready and wooden bolts made in case I need to knock some pesky birdies out of the sky, even if I don't have metal yet, wood can still do something if the target doesn't have armor... Then if the Roc comes down to attack the archers the melee dwarves can hit it...

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 06:58:16 am »

-snip-
Oh... it's kind of hard to kill a bird with a hammer... I usually have at least a few archers ready and wooden bolts made in case I need to knock some pesky birdies out of the sky, even if I don't have metal yet, wood can still do something if the target doesn't have armor... Then if the Roc comes down to attack the archers the melee dwarves can hit it...
Yes, Usually do that, but for some reason, been so slow whit ranged gear this fort. but should be easy to hit a fainted on ground huge bird whit a whip.. ;)

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 08:09:28 am »

It is much more likely that it has something to do with the speed optimizations, the majority to the bug reports came in the version after this change.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 03:23:06 pm »

It is much more likely that it has something to do with the speed optimizations, the majority to the bug reports came in the version after this change.

Which version, and which change?

I think I first noticed this problem back in 0.40.10, and I find the following change in 0.40.10 somewhat suspect:

Made non-extra-sensory creatures also respect z coord of potential targets

That would explain the behavior I noted quite well if either the enemy's z-coordinate for the check is wrong or the dwarves are caching the result of the check.
Pages: 1 [2]