Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with smelting ores in 0.40.17  (Read 5402 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Problem with smelting ores in 0.40.17
« on: November 20, 2014, 07:07:40 am »

The problem is it doesn't seem to want to let me do it. The only options in the smelter are for the alloys. I tried re-extracting DF then re-DLing it and neither worked. I even tried taking a save from .16 that was find and even it didn't work. Does anyone else have this problem with 40.17?
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with smelting ores in 0.40.17
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 07:39:11 am »

Definitely present, yes. Smelters can only do the "reactions" and lost all "smelt ore" options. Should be something in the executable, too, since it afflicts both new forts and old saves ported over.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 07:44:41 am »

Well that is one person besides me so at least I am not alone. One more and I will end up having to go and report it if no one else has yet.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

eliana

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Who said you were naked?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 08:19:51 am »

Bugged for me too.

Shame because I want to see blinking zones.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 08:25:51 am »

Well that is one person besides me so at least I am not alone. One more and I will end up having to go and report it if no one else has yet.

I've posted 31 bug reports, you can have this one. :P
()==[:::::::::::::>

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 08:34:17 am »

Bronze for weapons and armour, and trade allows directly from or. The game is still playable, but very frustrating.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 08:44:22 am »

I have made a bug report. Yes the game is technically playable as you can still make bronze and get things in trade it is a serious problem if you want to use anything that isn't a alloy.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 08:46:12 am »

When someone does make a bug report, PLEASE post a save, people seem to keep forgetting that it's a good idea.......

I suspect that Toady One is going to have to hotfix this one.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 08:51:00 am »

Ah, I knew I was forgetting something.

Edit: added a note with link to save
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 09:02:20 am by Akhier the Dragon hearted »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 09:48:56 am »

Update: the issue can be worked around by job orders via the manager. The manager screen still lists ore-smelting jobs and they get properly assigned to smelters and executed. This is in a copy of .40.17 extracted over an older installation, in case that matters.

With a functional workaround, i find the new version is still worth upgrading to - stressed dwarfs will now de-stress in a reasonable time-frame if they don't get anything new to worry about. And hopefully the "see one kea fly overhead, get a dozen "must attack" bad thoughts, don't attack the kea" issue has been fixed.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 09:54:24 am by Larix »

Incantatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 09:53:24 am »

I can smelt normally in the Linux version.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 10:39:44 am »

Another note added to the bug report about it working through the manager and the linux version appearing to work fine. If we can get more linux users in confirming that it works for them that would be splendid.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 11:41:28 am »

Please post further findings at the bug report, not in this thread: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8568